St Johnstone vs Dundee United, Armageddon sponsored Scottish Cup Final

banana

Scottish Cup Final 2013/14  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well done to Saints. I was at the final with some Utd fans but thought it was a really good game, they were unlucky with the few shots hitting the post/crossbar and God knows what May's handball was all about but St Johnstone deserved to win and it was good to see them enjoying it already, out in Glasgow last night :)

It's just good to see non old-firm teams winning it since it means so much to the other teams - Perth will be out in force for a parade today I would imagine :)

Edited by Jambomo

Think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the United fans that the majority of United's squad were out at Liquid last night. Rather disrespectful IMO.

Heard it was four or five, might be wrong though.

Either way, I do find it a bit distasteful that any of them are out partying in public hours after losing a cup final - might be the last great chance they get in their careers to win a medal.

I'm still in shock, genuine shock at what I've witnessed. I was on the edge of my seat for 75 minutes then I happened to glance away from the pitch and notice the time, it then hit me like a ton of bricks what was actually unfolding before my eyes. There was tears everywhere in the last ten minutes, and my mates have admitted that the tears were flowing, I didn't though as I simply couldn't muster up the strength to actually cry, always forget how much these games take it out of you.

We rode our luck with the two United shots off the post, it was fucking marginal stuff and after the first one the Saints crowd quietened a bit due to the nerves. We did deserve the win though, as we took our chances when they same and (yet again) completely stunted the United attack. I'll repeat what I've said for large parts of the season, that GMS isn't even a shadow of what he used to be, Ciftci is terrible, and Armstrong is completely wasted under McNamara. I dont really get why people are pushing the "underdog" tag though, we're a better team than United and we have a better manager, its really not a massive shock we won.

Delighted with our crowd though, worried the amount of "day trippers" would suck out the atmosphere but they all joined in, and at times it felt like I was part of a wall of noise, something on that scale is something I'd never thought I'd ever experience at a Saints game, it was glorious. I never got any photos or videos, no time for that! United crowd was poor though, didn't hear much of them apart from the usual moaning every time a player went down, the banter on the way home was good though, almost certain our diver slowed down a couple of times as we overtook a United bus :lol:

Also my night out was sullied by the fact I was on the way down by the time I made it out, Ice Factory was heaving though, so much sweat it reminded me of "old" Loft. We left early though, I was verging on collapse due to exhaustion and dehydration :lol:

As a final note I'm delighted for the players, especially Mackay, Anderson, Wright and Millar. All have been tremendous servants, and they deserved their names cemented in our history, think it was Kyle who said it before about it being a shame Liam Craig wasn't here and it is, he deserves to be remembered as a legend aswell for his role in our latest era, its a shame how it unfolded. Delighted for Wotherspoon though, he deserved a goal.

think it was Kyle who said it before about it being a shame Liam Craig wasn't here and it is, he deserves to be remembered as a legend aswell for his role in our latest era, its a shame how it unfolded.

Liam Craig must feel like a right cock.

Heard it was four or five, might be wrong though.

Either way, I do find it a bit distasteful that any of them are out partying in public hours after losing a cup final - might be the last great chance they get in their careers to win a medal.

So do you know who it was that was out on the lash? Most of United's players seem pretty sensible and it would be surprising to hear of them being out and about but some, like Gunning, appear to be total roasters and then it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Strange reading a match thread when you're not watching the match at the time.

Hard to tell how good a game it was from the stands, was just nervous.Seemed to fly by.

Great time to get a goal, goalie was never getting it. Ando should know how to celebrate by now.

Wasnt sure how the free kick off the bar stayed out, seemed Utd players following in but Mannus emerged with it.

I assume May thought the ball was in, Thomson defo pointed towards centre then booked May. Those addition assistants should just shut up.

2nd just sealed it & stopped any late nerves. MacLean got his top off quick & celebration was quality. Best Booking Ever!

Just delighted for everyone especially Geoff Brown.

There have been a few comments about the 'quality' of the United fans yesterday, and unfortunately I do have to agree with some of them. It is side effects of day like yesterday that thousands of casual fans suddenly appear out of nowhere having not seen United play in some time so they arrive with ridiculous, alcohol fuelled expectations and their behaviour can border on the bizarre. I found myself a few times yesterday wishing I was in the relative tranquility of my usual seat at Tannadice away from all the roasters and melters that have no clue in what is going on. I went to the toilet at halftime and their were more than few questionable human beings on show and it doesn't make you feel comfortable and in a way detracts from the enjoyment of the day in some ways.

It annoys me that for most of these 'fans' yesterday will be the only time they actually make the effort to come and watch United so will have left with a view that we are pretty shit, which is not the case. That won't exactly help with ticket sales for next year.

On the flip side of that is the sheer joy and delight I witnessed in the Saints end. I was close enough to the segregation area to see how much it meant to them and the real bonus for St.Johnstone is if even a few hundred extra people buy season tickets for next year or come along to more games it will make a big difference. Hopefully that does happen because the long term benefit of winning a cup should be that people take more of an interest in the club and I'm sure St.Johnstone managed to gain some new supporters yesterday too!

I'm obviously gutted we didn't win, but this does feel different compared to losing to one of the ugly sisters. Plus as a fan I would have taken 4th and a cup final at the start of the season. Overall I am pleased at our season and I can definitely start to look forward to next year with similar optimism, which is great.

Again, well done St.Johnstone, but please can we beat you a bit more often next year? Please?

Too drunk to post too much, but will say this: well done St Johnstone. The win was utterly deserved. Our support has a lot of dicks in it (part-timers I guess). I am pretty disappointed at how few of our fans stayed after the game to see St Johnstone lift the cup. Hey ho.

I didn't stay to watch the presentation and I'm no part-timer...

Mass exodus/fire drill with 5mins to go was carried out perfectly. IMO.

Hmmm Derry Exodus:

The dream came true.

It was an exhilarating, emotional and surreal experience. As predicted, the tears were flowing a number of times during the day. Most notably at full-time, when I completely broke down. I'm not sure if this will ever truly sink in, as dreams so rarely become reality. But this one did.

The greatest day.

Tottaly this^^^^^^ Celtic or the old Rangers (RIP) will never understand how this feels as to them its just run of the mill stuff. Well done Saintees.

Well done St.Johnstone, hope you enjoy your celebrations. I can never really properly judge these games because I am always nervous as f**k for the whole thing so my disjointed view of the game might be wrong but I thought that neither team played particularly well and both had spells of dominance. The second half was quite exciting, but the first half was pretty poor. St.Johnstone scored goals at almost the perfect moments, right at the death in the first half and then at a time when it looked like we might have nicked a goal.

MacKay was a standout for me for St.Johnstone, and I thought personally that Dillon was our best player (having a defender as your MotM says it all really)

I just never had a confident feeling about this one, I knew St.Johnstone would have the beating of us if we didn't put in a fantastic performance. We didn't and they deserved their win.

Going back past Perth and seeing all the scarfs and banners in the town shows how much it means to them so again well done and enjoy your night tonight!

Dillon was partly at fault for the second I thought, awful positioning.

He was the number Two right?

Dillon was partly at fault for the second I thought, awful positioning.

He was the number Two right?

Yeah he is. To be fair I am refusing to watch the highlights so I couldn't tell you! If so then that is a pity because I thought he was excellent yesterday, much more physical than normal, something that we need more of.

Thought Saints deserved it in the end. Uniteds time will come. I had a great day at the game......was in the same hospitality as Tommy Wrights family so was delighted he came up with the Cup after the game.....got a nice pic of TW & me holding the Scottish Cup on my FB :-)

Tottaly this^^^^^^ Celtic or the old Rangers (RIP) will never understand how this feels as to them its just run of the mill stuff. Well done Saintees.

Were you listening to Off The Ball by any chance? You've quoted me nearly word for word there ;).

What an incredible day that was. I cannot believe we've done it. The Scottish Cup man. P.s - time to look the passport oot! Yaaaassssssssssss

Funny how the atmosphere from different parts of the ground gives a different impression. From where we were ( in the corner of the Lisbon lions and north Stands) the atmosphere was great. United fans were chanting and singing non stop, and we never heard the saints fans at all til after their second goal went in, when we totally shut up.

The only thing was the sound was pretty poor. When a chant or song started in the Lisbon lions, and the north stand joined in, they seemed totally out of time with each other.

I thought it was really poor that United fans didn't stay to watch Saints lift the cup, and as for the wheens of folk who left before the end...... That's bad enough at any regular match, but a cup final? Jist Naw!!!

Another thing I thought was poor was the camera on McKays chest which showed the scenes as they lifted the cup. Why the hell did they not have the podium directly opposite the saints fans, so you could see them going mental as the cup was lifted? I know it was opposite the gantry, but cameras are mobile these days FFS!!! Instead, we got a view of half a dozen united fans. That was rubbish.