The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

I was just thinking earlier in the day about what out of contract players I'd like us to keep for next season, and McAusland was definitely one of them. I probably rate him more than most people but he was really, really poor at the start of the season and he has had a few injury problems this year. I think a season in the Championship would have actually been really good for him to get his confidence back up, he's more than capable of being a good defender at that level and releasing him leaves us in a position where we need to sign a whole new centre-back pairing.

As AB said, it's a real shame to see a cup winning player who was almost at 200 appearances leave the club in such a muted way. We probably shouldn't be surprised after the way Lennon was treated at the end of last season though.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My abiding memories of Cheesy, apart from giving me the odd palpation, will be his joyous celebrations in 2013.

It's an overused term now, but he really was one of our own.

This was my favourite photo from the Cup Final (apart from Jim lifting the trophy, of course):

20636341.JPG

Obviously the Thommo circlejerk was in full flow, but you could see how much it meant to big Cheesy as well. Good luck to him.

Quite disappointed to hear this actually. Had we been a top flight club next season then I would fully understand and support the decision, however all sentiments aside I think he would have been a very good option for the Championship. On his day he is a terrific defender in the top division, however those days were extremely rare. I always deemed his ability as being on the cusp between the top flight and the tier below, so seems strange to let him go.

Especially given that Arquin is still inexplicably employed as a footballer.

This was my favourite photo from the Cup Final (apart from Jim lifting the trophy, of course):

20636341.JPG

Obviously the Thommo circlejerk was in full flow, but you could see how much it meant to big Cheesy as well. Good luck to him.

That's the very image I was thinking of. The slow mo video of him leaping into Sammy's arms is glorious.

Can´t see him staying in the top flight to be honest. Alloa would seem a possible destination with Lennon there now. At times he looked good (although he was never particularly good at right back), but he always had a mistake in him, and often it cost us. To be fair to him, he never really played along side an established centre half that could have helped him when he was breaking through.

I find it difficult to criticise him too much because you could see what it meant to him. I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

I would be amazed if he got an SPL side, but then again, that could apply to the whole squad.

I remember St Mirren playing County in Dingwall in the League Cup in 2010, it would have been Cheesy's first start. He looked like bit like a young centre-back playing at right-back, but he played really well and I thought he had a promising future ahead of him.

Would anyone bet against him joining Morton? Does he have a chance at staying in the top flight? I don't think any of the bottom six clubs are likely to be struggling for centre-backs.

I would. If he's staying in Scotland he'll get a mid-table Championship club no bother, and we probably won't be in the division. Always thought that was his level anyway, so surprised to see him go when St. Mirren are going down.

I was just thinking earlier in the day about what out of contract players I'd like us to keep for next season, and McAusland was definitely one of them. I probably rate him more than most people but he was really, really poor at the start of the season and he has had a few injury problems this year. I think a season in the Championship would have actually been really good for him to get his confidence back up, he's more than capable of being a good defender at that level and releasing him leaves us in a position where we need to sign a whole new centre-back pairing.

Completely agree, he had his faults but out of him, Goodwin and Genev he's the only one I would've liked to see at centre half next season. Goodwin may have a role but not in defence and Genev is pish. The only others out of contract I'd keep would be Sadlier, McGinn and Tesselaar but the last two are likely to leave. Absolutely no chance of Dayton sticking around but he'd be another I'd keep.

Realistically we'll retain Teale as manager with only Arquin and Reilly being offered contracts.

So is anyone else actually looking out and hoping Morton keep winning now given that we're dead n buried. ?? strange feeling wanting them to win lol

On us for next season really worried about the number of players we have under contract. Worrying times ahead good be a good few seasons before we come again i think. I'm sure Deeboy will come see us from time to time :)

So is anyone else actually looking out and hoping Morton keep winning now given that we're dead n buried. ?? strange feeling wanting them to win lol

On us for next season really worried about the number of players we have under contract. Worrying times ahead good be a good few seasons before we come again i think. I'm sure Deeboy will come see us from time to time :)

I'm not too fussed really. Stranraer is a cracking away day and I've never been to Forfar before but by all accounts its another humdinger of a trip.

I think any 2 of the 3 would be good for different reasons. I know the board would prefer 2 full away ends, I don't think Stranraer and Forfar could muster 500 between them, no offence to them.

I'm not too fussed really. Stranraer is a cracking away day and I've never been to Forfar before but by all accounts its another humdinger of a trip.

I think any 2 of the 3 would be good for different reasons. I know the board would prefer 2 full away ends, I don't think Stranraer and Forfar could muster 500 between them, no offence to them.

Well the board have got us right into this mess and don't seem to bothered about it.

Completely agree, he had his faults but out of him, Goodwin and Genev he's the only one I would've liked to see at centre half next season. Goodwin may have a role but not in defence and Genev is pish. The only others out of contract I'd keep would be Sadlier, McGinn and Tesselaar but the last two are likely to leave. Absolutely no chance of Dayton sticking around but he'd be another I'd keep.

Realistically we'll retain Teale as manager with only Arquin and Reilly being offered contracts.

There's absolutely no way Arquin will be playing for you guys next season. I'd argue he hasn't really been playing for you this season, but there's no chance of him dropping down a division. He'd destroy it if he did though.

Archived