The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

At the game last night I was talking to some people and apparently Aberdeen were the only club asking about McLean in January. St Mirren needed the money so badly they said they'd take a few hundred thousand for him if we bought him there and then.

Just what I heard, no reason to doubt them but if true it's quite alarming surely?

I doubt this is true. I remember Rotherham being mentioned too...I vaguely remember us rejecting a bid from them, but may have just imagined it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the game last night I was talking to some people and apparently Aberdeen were the only club asking about McLean in January. St Mirren needed the money so badly they said they'd take a few hundred thousand for him if we bought him there and then.

Just what I heard, no reason to doubt them but if true it's quite alarming surely?

It's definitely not impossible. As you say, it explains the fee, and there are rumours to a similar effect on B&WA - that the cash was essential if folk at the club were to get paid.

It's obviously nothing to do with Kenny's ability as a player, but sometimes if the market's a bit stagnant, and there's only one club in for a player, then you'll take whatever you can get.

Worrying? If true, certainly. The presumption is that reduced gates, expenditure on a remarkable procession of dud players, a lack of cup runs, and having to pay off Tommy Craig, have taken their toll.

Of course, gate receipts and cup runs would have been better had we made some better decisions at board level, but there's little we can do about that now.

We'll cut our cloth to suit, I guess - Thommo has apparently said that there are contract clauses that stipulate a 50% wage cut upon relegation, though that'll affect very few players as we don't have many signed up beyond the summer anyway.

Good buy.

Yes, goodbye, indeed. :(

Are there many out of contract in the summer? Can't see too many other clubs being interested in taking the players off you otherwise.

Fortunately, yeah. Off the top of my head, the following are on deals (if anyone else wants to chip in/correct me, feel free):

Til 2016:

Goodwin, Teale, Kelly, Ridgers, Ball (Ball not confirmed, we have an option on him for another year which I doubt we'll take)

Til 2017:

Naismith

Til 2018:

Mallan, McLear (the lucky lads...)

So there isn't too much dead wood there, in fairness, and I think most of those on contracts will do a job in the Championship. We've been carrying a fair amount of unworthy shite in the squad for quite a long time (Tam Reilly, FFS) and at least it'll be simple enough to cast them adrift, so they can go on to play much, much better for another team. :rolleyes:

Also, the likelihood is Teale will (wrongly) be kept on as manager. Kelly has been poor, but has previously been ok. It's going to be a very, very interesting/concerning/fraught summer.

Fortunately, yeah. Off the top of my head, the following are on deals (if anyone else wants to chip in/correct me, feel free):

Til 2016:

Goodwin, Teale, Kelly, Ridgers, Ball (Ball not confirmed, we have an option on him for another year which I doubt we'll take)

Til 2017:

Naismith

Til 2018:

Mallan, McLear (the lucky lads...)

So there isn't too much dead wood there, in fairness, and I think most of those on contracts will do a job in the Championship. We've been carrying a fair amount of unworthy shite in the squad for quite a long time (Tam Reilly, FFS) and at least it'll be simple enough to cast them adrift, so they can go on to play much, much better for another team. :rolleyes:

Also, the likelihood is Teale will (wrongly) be kept on as manager. Kelly has been poor, but has previously been ok. It's going to be a very, very interesting/concerning/fraught summer.

I agree with your post, but of all the players to single out for being shite, why choose a young lad who's had a rough time with injuries?

I also think Teale will be kept on, purely because we won't want to pay him off. It's maybe unfair to blame any of our predicament on Teale, he did get rid of a few players who weren't performing, but again has brought in players that have added little, if anything, to the squad.

Teale doesn't fill me with confidence if I'm honest, but it's difficult to really judge him in such a short space of time.

It's definitely not impossible. As you say, it explains the fee, and there are rumours to a similar effect on B&WA - that the cash was essential if folk at the club were to get paid.

It's obviously nothing to do with Kenny's ability as a player, but sometimes if the market's a bit stagnant, and there's only one club in for a player, then you'll take whatever you can get.

Worrying? If true, certainly. The presumption is that reduced gates, expenditure on a remarkable procession of dud players, a lack of cup runs, and having to pay off Tommy Craig, have taken their toll.

Of course, gate receipts and cup runs would have been better had we made some better decisions at board level, but there's little we can do about that now.

We'll cut our cloth to suit, I guess - Thommo has apparently said that there are contract clauses that stipulate a 50% wage cut upon relegation, though that'll affect very few players as we don't have many signed up beyond the summer anyway.

Yes, goodbye, indeed. :(

When ranting about this on Twitter on Tuesday after the game two folk, who may be in the know or may be acting as if they were, claimed two different stories:

One of the directors had loaned the club money and wanted it back immediately so McLean had to be punted

Or, there was a short term cash flow issue, which it seems isn't unusual, but this time the directors weren't prepared to fund it so we needed to sell someone.

If it was a temporary cashflow thing rather than plunging into the red that would make more sense - it might also explain why we were able to sign Sonoupe, Sadlier, Gow and Genev after McLean left! Although one of the people that provided the above info said they're all on pay as you play which may explain why we only ever see two playing at the same time.

@ HoustonBud - yeah, point taken, unfair of me to pick out Reilly. I stand by the rest of that sentence, though - namely that I fancy a lot of players' chances of being better elsewhere. No reason why Reilly couldn't do a John Baird and get a gig at somewhere like Alloa and do reasonably well.

@ Stu - yeah, all these sound plausible, and we'll probably never find out the truth.

@ HoustonBud - yeah, point taken, unfair of me to pick out Reilly. I stand by the rest of that sentence, though - namely that I fancy a lot of players' chances of being better elsewhere. No reason why Reilly couldn't do a John Baird and get a gig at somewhere like Alloa and do reasonably well.

@ Stu - yeah, all these sound plausible, and we'll probably never find out the truth.

You're absolutely right, I wouldn't be surprised either to see some of the players go on and do well elsewhere. Baird is a good example, Rory Loy as well who we had on loan and never played. Ross Caldwell has probably scored more goals for Morton since January, than all our strikers combined this season. Going back a bit we had the atrocious Alec Bone, who went on and scored goals for a host of different clubs.

It's frustrating, but it happens all the time.

I agree with your post, but of all the players to single out for being shite, why choose a young lad who's had a rough time with injuries?

I also think Teale will be kept on, purely because we won't want to pay him off. It's maybe unfair to blame any of our predicament on Teale, he did get rid of a few players who weren't performing, but again has brought in players that have added little, if anything, to the squad.

Teale doesn't fill me with confidence if I'm honest, but it's difficult to really judge him in such a short space of time.

Could we not appoint someone like Murray and keep Teale as Assistant?

I agree I think he'll be manager but that would be another mistake by the board surely they won't make the same mistake 3 times in a row?

We need someone who knows that league inside out, Murray has worked wonders at Dumbarton and has done all he can there.

I agree I think he'll be manager but that would be another mistake by the board surely they won't make the same mistake 3 times in a row?

We need someone who knows that league inside out, Murray has worked wonders at Dumbarton and has done all he can there.

We probably could in theory, is Murray under contract though? Would we have to pay compensation? Can't imagine Teale would stay under those circumstances, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't think Teale is the man to take us forward.

Could be a case of right club, wrong time for Teale.

We lucked out with Archibald carrying on the good work implemented by McCall and McNamara.

He got a chance with a team playing with confidence and arguably improved us to some degree. Overall I'm happy with his tenureship although we could have a few nervy weeks coming up.

I hope Teale gets a chance to turn around the buddies fortunes and gets the freedom to sign his own players.

All these loan signings strike me as being influenced by other factors outwith of just Craig's and Teale's judgement?

P.s. Chick Young even mentioned the wages thing being part of the reason for McLean's departure on Tuesday night.

We probably could in theory, is Murray under contract though? Would we have to pay compensation? Can't imagine Teale would stay under those circumstances, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't think Teale is the man to take us forward.

Some Dumbarton fans have mentioned there could be a gentlemen's agreement in place if a full time club was to come in for him he'd be able to leave for very cheap or nowt.

Agreed. Will the board want another wage coming in when we will be making huge cut backs? I doubt it.

Could be a case of right club, wrong time for Teale.

We lucked out with Archibald carrying on the good work implemented by McCall and McNamara.

He got a chance with a team playing with confidence and arguably improved us to some degree. Overall I'm happy with his tenureship although we could have a few nervy weeks coming up.

I hope Teale gets a chance to turn around the buddies fortunes and gets the freedom to sign his own players.

All these loan signings strike me as being influenced by other factors outwith of just Craig's and Teale's judgement?

P.s. Chick Young even mentioned the wages thing being part of the reason for McLean's departure on Tuesday night.

It could be but he doesn't seem savy enough. Yes he inherited a really shite team and made them a bit less shite but he has still made some baffling decisions and doesn't seem to be comfortable in front of the media. That might not be such a big deal but some of the things he has said hasn't installed confidence with the fans and its what tipped the fans over the edge with TC.

I don't know what's been going on with the signings, we don't have a scouting system and it really shows. We can't really afford one, you'd be surprised at how low the pay is for the managers job, from what I've heard anyway.

Some Dumbarton fans have mentioned there could be a gentlemen's agreement in place if a full time club was to come in for him he'd be able to leave for very cheap or nowt.

Agreed. Will the board want another wage coming in when we will be making huge cut backs? I doubt it.

It could be but he doesn't seem savy enough. Yes he inherited a really shite team and made them a bit less shite but he has still made some baffling decisions and doesn't seem to be comfortable in front of the media. That might not be such a big deal but some of the things he has said hasn't installed confidence with the fans and its what tipped the fans over the edge with TC.

I don't know what's been going on with the signings, we don't have a scouting system and it really shows. We can't really afford one, you'd be surprised at how low the pay is for the managers job, from what I've heard anyway.

The lack of a scouting system is a complete joke, and it really shows. There are good players in the lower leagues in Scotland, and a lot of players who could make the step up. Dundee Utd have been particularly good at bringing in lower league players who have done a job. We've been left to sign players whose agents have touted them round every club in the country.

I fail to believe that a small scouting system, say two or three part time guys, to watch lower league football in Scotland (or on occassion the rest of the UK/Ireland) would set the club back too much money. Add up the wages of the journeymen, wasters and pre season Peles we've signed, then released after 6 months, and we could easily afford to employ some scouts.

I think Reilly has talent. I'm more annoyed we never took the opportunity to loan him to a lower league club to get him game time and confidence.

:lol:

Sniff, are you at all familiar with the workings of the St Mirren BOD?

I am really trying to give them another chance to redeem themselves :lol: . We can all see whats coming next season, we will get off to a sloppy start, get to about february sitting about 10 points above the relegation play-off spot and miles off promotion,we'll get rid of GT and appoint Longwell as the manager.

Keeping Teale as assistant to any new manager is a disaster waiting to happen. It's bad enough having a player in the squad who thinks he's been overlooked for the manager's job.

Keeping Teale as assistant to any new manager is a disaster waiting to happen. It's bad enough having a player in the squad who thinks he's been overlooked for the manager's job.

There has been too much of that shit going on in the dressing room for over a season now. Clear the lot out.

Anyway according to someone on bnw army there was a Belgian Consortium at the game last night, that would have put them off surely.

Billy Davies in attendance again, Div saying he is interested in buying the club once again. This soap opera drags on and on....

Belgians you say?

I say sayonara to pies and bovril and bonjour to waffles and chocolate.

post-13-0-14028300-1429014976_thumb.jpg

Food stall queues next season

Add in Leffe and I may be back next season after all*

* who am I kidding, I'll be there come what may.

Aye we are all pretty pissed off just now but the hardcore 2500 will still be there next season. If ( pretty big if ) we are winning games we could maybe see even more home fans showing up.

Away crowds will be down but the average might not be too bad depending on who stays down/goes up.

Archived