The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Are we suffering from a collective stroke or something? The "next level" for St. Mirren is, er, 7th place. It will be our highest ever league finish, and from manager who delivered our first ever national trophy in over two decades. Our budget isn't conducive to expecting the top 6, and neither is the size of our fan base.

His summer transfer dealings were disastrous, and I think up until recently there was a good chance he was leaving. However, his January transfer signings have proven to be astute, and he has gotten a lot more out of young players he has brought into the club. This isn't accidental, it is just excellent management on his part.

Like any other job, the more experienced you get the better, Lennon absolutely deserves another season. I would much rather have Lennon than Ian Murray, it's not even close. As for the likes of Coyle and Levein - these are pipe dreams for clubs like us.

The only way I can see Lennon leaving is resignation - and why not? His stock will be very high, and he might be able to get a job at a bigger club.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Hegarty and Ross Perry released too.

I assume teams like Aberdeen will be sniffing about Little.

Bizarre from Rangers, these boys can do a job in the 1st Division and they won't be on a huge McCullochesque wage.

Aberdeen can sign them then give them to us six months later and we can get the best out of them ;) Dunno much about either of them to be honest. Would be maybe take a look at Little. Would also have a shot at trying to sign Lee Miller who Carlisle have binned. They've also released Lewis Guy and Nacho Novo - no doubt we'll go back in for the later!

Quite a few of the guys we released/binned during the summer have ended up at clubs that have gone down or been fighting relegation (Guy, Imrie, Parkin) so not as if we've missed out. The problem was who we got in to replace them.

I don't think Levein or Coyle would be all that unrealistic shouts for bottom half Scottish Premiership teams. Their name is pretty much ruined in England, and all of the top 5 or 6 jobs in the country seem pretty solid just now. I don't really see an alternative route for them back into the game.

That said, Lennon has done a fantastic job again this season. Fans who wanted him out must feel pretty silly now, and those who still want him out must suffer from near Celtic type delusions of grandeur.

Lennon has done well to turn it round these last few games, however his transfer dealings in the summer, some of his lineups & substitutions have just been simply baffling this year.

Make no bones about it, this is an extremely poor league this year. The bottom 6 are all as bad as each other, St Johnstone and Caley (pre Terry Butcher) are better organised and efficient at best, with Utd Motherwell and Aberdeen all decent, and just more consistent than everyone else. As much as Danny has done well to turn it around to (if) finish 7th, this is a league with no Rangers and practically no hearts who would traditionally be at the top end of the table.

One good appointment can make all the difference, and I believe, with the squad we have, and if the problem positions were addressed at the start of the season that everyone could see that needed addressed, a more competent manager could have easily had us push for top 6, not because I have delusions of grandeur about St. Mirren, but because the overall standard really is quite poor.

He has had 4 up and down years at us, despite the cup win (which I will always be thankful to DL for), 4 years is a long time in football, and we haven't really progressed. Someone touched on it earlier in regards to him being "lucky" with some of the players that have been brought through from our youth teams, Kenny and Mcginn would have broke into Stevie Wonders (even Mr Wonder would know to play him through the middle as well) 1st team squad, and the 2 young full backs have just been luck as he made an absolute mess of the summer transfer dealings. i.e he had no option but to play them!

This whole 'next level' stuff is cringeworthy and smacks of Charlton, Bolton, Falkirk fans saying the same thing. We won a national competition last season and are on the verge of our highest league finish in 25 years.

Our glass ceiling is likely finishing a comfortable 5th-8th on a regular basis and a few good cup runs, much like St. Johnstone.

As far as I'm concerned, we're sitting slap bang in the middle of our high point. My only bones of contention are that:

a) we suffered massively over the course of the season with some of the most soul shredding performances I've seen and I'd much rather have seen us sitting more comfortably in 7th, we're frustrating to the point of utter disbelief in that we can look very, very competent for 4 or 5 weeks, then go 2 months with barely a shot on target

and b) our signings were utterly awful in the summer. Danny HAS to learn from these mistakes and strengthen where needed. Also doing so sharply, not hanging about for the dregs.

All in all, would I keep him? Yes. I will admit to losing faith in him about 2 or 3 months ago for a few weeks, but I have always backed the guy in the face of some frankly shocking personal abuse. The guy is a legend at St. Mirren FC and will be remembered as such, regardless of what any numpty with their numpty agenda says to the contrary.

And there are a lot fucking worse out there.

This whole 'next level' stuff is cringeworthy and smacks of Charlton, Bolton, Falkirk fans saying the same thing. We won a national competition last season and are on the verge of our highest league finish in 25 years.

Our glass ceiling is likely finishing a comfortable 5th-8th on a regular basis and a few good cup runs, much like St. Johnstone.

As far as I'm concerned, we're sitting slap bang in the middle of our high point. My only bones of contention are that:

a) we suffered massively over the course of the season with some of the most soul shredding performances I've seen and I'd much rather have seen us sitting more comfortably in 7th, we're frustrating to the point of utter disbelief in that we can look very, very competent for 4 or 5 weeks, then go 2 months with barely a shot on target

and b) our signings were utterly awful in the summer. Danny HAS to learn from these mistakes and strengthen where needed. Also doing so sharply, not hanging about for the dregs.

All in all, would I keep him? Yes. I will admit to losing faith in him about 2 or 3 months ago for a few weeks, but I have always backed the guy in the face of some frankly shocking personal abuse. The guy is a legend at St. Mirren FC and will be remembered as such, regardless of what any numpty with their numpty agenda says to the contrary.

And there are a lot fucking worse out there.

Spot on.

SG was very non committal about Danny's new deal tonight on the radio, it sounded to me like he wanted Danny to leave. He wouldn't back him and said the BOD would be meeting tomorrow and taking a lot of factors into account before making a decision.

On another note, there looks to be a fair bit of interest in Newton. I imagine Saturday will be his last game for the club.

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-uniteds-conor-newton-targeted-7085351

As you say it was non-committal stuff. You could twist it either way but if you had to push me I'd say he was in favour of change. The lack of any comment about wanting him to stay, getting negotiations started soon etc was telling - but he could just be keeping his cards close to his chest.

It would be good if they made an announcement after their meeting with what was happening but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. However the fact they've gone public and everyone now knows there's a meeting will force their hand as I imagine a fair few journos will be onto them later today wanting to know what has happened.

Im probably wrong but I think we might be getting an announcement about a new buyer for the club in the next week or so.

I think that's why he's being so non committal about everything. Even players like goody and Dilo not being offered new deals seems strange as they are two obvious ones you would want tied up. (Excluded Kenny from this As he's as good as away next year)

I agree with the 'next level' pish, however we have to be a little bit ambitious and look beyond scraping survival year in, year out. That is feasible IMHO.

However we should have done much, much better this year. The amount of money wasted on dud signings was extraordinary- Harkins, Caprice, Djemba-Djemba, Cornell, Grainger etc. What was it, all players signed this summer bar Dilo gone by February. That is not on. The main strength of a good SPL manager is spotting players and rebuilding every summer.

Some of the names mentioned might not be any better though which is the only concerning thing, although I think the time is right to say thanks Danny, time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

So the Scottish season is over (apart from Hibs). What do you think our chances of keeping a hold of McLean are?

Slim to none. I'm afraid April's Premiership player of the month will be plying his trade elsewhere next season.

*bump*

So the Scottish season is over (apart from Hibs). What do you think our chances of keeping a hold of McLean are?

McLean will be off he has made a few hints as did Gilmour when he said now is the time for him to move south. Would think Gowser will be off also as he can have a bigger pay day elsewhere when you take into consideration he has now a family. We should know within a couple of days I understand Craig is meeting the players tomorrow Monday. Still close season should be interesting given Craig wants to bring in 8 new players.

Herald this morning sayin Bournemouth are interested. Fraser seems to be doing ok down there - assuming he can break into the first team within a few months that could be a really good move for him. 300k is what we would reportedly receive jn compensation

Chances are very slim but not impossible. Kenny wants a guaranteed first team spot to whereever he goes down South (and he should get it). However some clubs may not be so keen on that condition. Maybe another year with us would suit both parties.

Chances are very slim but not impossible. Kenny wants a guaranteed first team spot to whereever he goes down South (and he should get it). However some clubs may not be so keen on that condition. Maybe another year with us would suit both parties.

I was very impressed by his interview.

A young footballer with his head screwed on, saying he's looking for a club that could offer him a good location of town/city, stature of club and first team opportunities ahead of the money as he doesn't want to be back up here within a year. Also , he virtually shut the door on Rangers after how he was unceremoniously booted out at 15.

Tommy says he wants 8 bodies in, how would this change if the likes of our keepers, Gowser and Kenny don't sign new deals though?

Archived