The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Club has just confirmed that Magennis, Newton, Campbell and Djemba-Djemba won't be here next season.

No surprises really, Newton was the only one who made more than a handful of appearances and he has offers in England so was always going to be leaving.

Would like to see a couple of signings in the next couple of weeks now.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see Craig has not been stupid enough to sign Magennis permanently. Boy plays the wrong kind of football - fast, strong, good with his hands but shite with his head and feet.

I see some people are trying to get some kind of event for Van Zanten sorted. Definitely deserved IMO, not many players play over 300 games for one club these days.

I see some people are trying to get some kind of event for Van Zanten sorted. Definitely deserved IMO, not many players play over 300 games for one club these days.

While others are doing their best to piss all over the idea, in typical Saints supporters style.

No surprises or complaints about that lot.

Newton's place in history is secure but he only showed fleeting glimpses of what he's capable of last season.

No word on Harkins? :(

The word is , c**t. <_<

No surprises or complaints about that lot.

Newton's place in history is secure but he only showed fleeting glimpses of what he's capable of last season.

No word on Harkins? :(

Harkins will be on holiday and won't be in any rush to sort things out. I think he'll be freed from the final year of his deal if he can get a gig elsewhere, but obviously that takes a few conversations to happen. It's not like Tommy Craig looking at a list and crossing names out, which is all we've had so far.

While others are doing their best to piss all over the idea, in typical Saints supporters style.

Bizarre indeed.

As for Harkins, if someone wants him they can have him for nothing. We just need to hope that someone is willing to take him.

Bizarre indeed.

As for Harkins, if someone wants him they can have him for nothing. We just need to hope that someone is willing to take him.

This.

I have no desire, whatsoever, to see him in a St Mirren strip again (in fairness, I have no desire to see anyone in next season's strip, but that's another matter, altogether....).

Think it should be a clean slate for everyone. Worked with Tommy Turner who'd been told to do one by the previous manager before becoming a legend.

We all know how it will probably end with Harkins but he's under contract so give him another shot. Although I'd imagine if someone wants him we'll let him go - just as long as we don't sodding pay him off.

Think it should be a clean slate for everyone. Worked with Tommy Turner who'd been told to do one by the previous manager before becoming a legend.

We all know how it will probably end with Harkins but he's under contract so give him another shot. Although I'd imagine if someone wants him we'll let him go - just as long as we don't sodding pay him off.

I'm just not at all sure where he would be played and when.

Harkins is the type of player who would be a stand-out in a game of 5s, but that's about the size of it.

On the bbc they said we've turned down a £100,000 bid from Sheffield United for McGinn!

Gtf! Add another zero then we'll start negotiations!

Christ. I hope we responded to that offer with the respect it deserved.

Sadly I do think £300k ish will be enough to tempt the current owners to cash in. Any less than that and I'll be seriously pissed off.

Personally don't think we should be entertaining anything below half a million but knowing our board they'll cut and run at about half that. Ridiculous as he's worth a lot more and should be in the Championship.

Losing McLean, McGinn and Newton in one fell swoop would be a disaster. Would hope some of the money generated from the first two would be freed up for new players - either transfer fees (not a James Collins), bigger wages or a few more folk in the squad. However, would imagine Craig will be told to bring through more kids.

I'm part of the clean slate for Harkin crew, although I won't shed any tears for him should he go.

As to £100k for McGinn it's beyond insulting less than we'd get as a development fee in a years time - I suppose the worry is that the prospect of having a disgruntled player on our books will scare us into a premature deal.

Losing McLean, McGinn and Newton in one fell swoop would be a disaster. Would hope some of the money generated from the first two would be freed up for new players - either transfer fees (not a James Collins), bigger wages or a few more folk in the squad. However, would imagine Craig will be told to bring through more kids.

Despite wanting out and making a fair number of gaffs in recent years the BoD have continued to put every available pound into the wage budget can be seen every year when the Accounts are published.

From St.Mirren Official Twitter feed: "Following media speculation regarding player John McGinn, we can confirm that we have received an offer for John.

The offer was well below our valuation of the player and was rejected immediately."

Archived