The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Christ. I hope we responded to that offer with the respect it deserved.

Sadly I do think £300k ish will be enough to tempt the current owners to cash in. Any less than that and I'll be seriously pissed off.

Yeah I think your right tbh we won't hold out for the amount that he deserves. 100k that's just a piss take!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From St.Mirren Official Twitter feed: "Following media speculation regarding player John McGinn, we can confirm that we have received an offer for John.

The offer was well below our valuation of the player and was rejected immediately."

Good that it's been rejected, though would have liked a bit about won't entertain bids or looking to extend his contract.

Personally don't think we should be entertaining anything below half a million but knowing our board they'll cut and run at about half that. Ridiculous as he's worth a lot more and should be in the Championship.

Losing McLean, McGinn and Newton in one fell swoop would be a disaster. Would hope some of the money generated from the first two would be freed up for new players - either transfer fees (not a James Collins), bigger wages or a few more folk in the squad. However, would imagine Craig will be told to bring through more kids.

Even if we could afford to, which I severely doubt , I wouldn't like to see us pay a fee for anyone. Money wasted that could be better spent on a wage imo.

Even if we could afford to, which I severely doubt , I wouldn't like to see us pay a fee for anyone. Money wasted that could be better spent on a wage imo.

Depends who you're getting. If it was a smallish fee for a talented youngster at a Championship club - like Scougall before it was punted - then it would be fair enough.

Slightly confused about how they're really trying to sign after seeing this http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11781/9321913/uniteds-mcginn-bid-rejected

Scougall - £125k

McGinn - £100k

What a bunch of fucking chancers! Now I know how the St. Johnstone fans felt when Rotherham thought they could just pluck Stevie May for a similar fee last season.

They really do think that little of our league. I'd be extremely pissed off if we accept anything less than £500k, a shitload of clauses and a large sell on %

Scougall - £125k

McGinn - £100k

What a bunch of fucking chancers! Now I know how the St. Johnstone fans felt when Rotherham thought they could just pluck Stevie May for a similar fee last season.

They really do think that little of our league. I'd be extremely pissed off if we accept anything less than £500k, a shitload of clauses and a large sell on %

To be fair to Rotherham they don't actually have any money, but every Summer they make a bid for some talented youngster to pacify the support who are desperate to see some cash getting splashed. I think Sheffield United probably do have enough money to buy McGinn so its a genuine siging attempts, both attempts on May were pure publicity stunts it seems.

Also, McGinn out, Cregg in, £300k profit? Seems a good deal that...

On what I've seen of McGinn I would be pleased if we managed to come in for another bid that was what St Mirren was looking for. Do agree that £100.000 is abit of an insult as he could be a very decent player. It's becoming very Scottish here in Sheffied but I am glad that Nigel is bringing in good Scottish players.

To be fair to Rotherham they don't actually have any money, but every Summer they make a bid for some talented youngster to pacify the support who are desperate to see some cash getting splashed. I think Sheffield United probably do have enough money to buy McGinn so its a genuine siging attempts, both attempts on May were pure publicity stunts it seems.

Also, McGinn out, Cregg in, £300k profit? Seems a good deal that...

Although he was admittedly in a shite team last time, I simply wouldn't have Paddy Cregg back at St. Mirren as he done nothing to convince me he was anything other than pish in his time here. He's nothing like the sort of player McGinn is either. I also wouldn't even consider taking £300k for a guy who is so obviously talented. If clubs like Dundee Utd can hold out for several million for wasters like David Goodwillie, then I'd be inclined to seeing us holding fast for a vast improvement on £300k for someone who has his head screwed on the right way.

Although he was admittedly in a shite team last time, I simply wouldn't have Paddy Cregg back at St. Mirren as he done nothing to convince me he was anything other than pish in his time here. He's nothing like the sort of player McGinn is either. I also wouldn't even consider taking £300k for a guy who is so obviously talented. If clubs like Dundee Utd can hold out for several million for wasters like David Goodwillie, then I'd be inclined to seeing us holding fast for a vast improvement on £300k for someone who has his head screwed on the right way.

Agreed, absolutely this! ^^^

There could be another offer coming in with Lyle Taylor used as bait. Still reckon it would take £350.000+ for a deal to happen though.

Even so, I still don't think that's enough for us.

A real statement of intent would be for us to fire a 2 year extension down on the table and once he signs it (which I believe he would), see what Sheffield Utd's next move would be given that they'd have to bid closer to the boy's true value.

McGinn is at least a £million pound player. 19. League Cup winners medal. Automatic first team choice since he was 17. Under 21 internationalist. The best talent I have seen at St Mirren since the days of McAvennie, McGarvey, etc. His strength and maturity are way beyond his years. McGinn will make it to the very top.

Not sure if you guys were in for him or not, but I see Conor Newton has signed a 2 year deal with Rotherham.

Allegedly Conor was willing to stay for £4k a week. Allegedly we politely refused :)

There could be another offer coming in with Lyle Taylor used as bait. Still reckon it would take £350.000+ for a deal to happen though.

I think, depending on what kind of wages Taylor would be wanting, that might help. We need another striker and Taylor did pretty well at Thistle. Would certainly be a decent backup to Thommo.

Archived