The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

I'd rather Dilo on a 2 year deal than Kello on a one year deal. Both very good goalkeepers.

I'd agree with that. Kello is excellent but I would have liked to see Dilo as the number one for a full season to see how he developed.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dilo could do worse than sign up with us again and learn a lot from a number 1 keeper like Kello.

He'd probably have to drop down a level or 2 if he wants to play 30+ games a season. Which would also mean less wages.

I'd try and sign Dilo up long term and even loan him out to a Championship club this season and sign a back up for Kello.

Dilo looks a superb talent. Would be a shame if we lost him.

Dilo could do worse than sign up with us again and learn a lot from a number 1 keeper like Kello.

He'd probably have to drop down a level or 2 if he wants to play 30+ games a season. Which would also mean less wages.

I'd try and sign Dilo up long term and even loan him out to a Championship club this season and sign a back up for Kello.

Dilo looks a superb talent. Would be a shame if we lost him.

Some of your posts make me laugh honestly. Dilo came in the last seven games and proved himself extremely well. Make no mistake if Kello had left Dilo would have been our number one and could walk into most top flight teams no problem. To write he would need to drop down one or two levels is plain silly.

Yeah know a few Sheep who say they'd fancy him. They can't have seen him play much last season.

I presumed he must have turned down reduced terms, but GG's link indicates that we even didn't even offer him a deal, a touch surprised at that.

Cracking player on his day and will go down in history as a major trophy winner.

1 year contracts are pathetic. I'd be far happier if we started handing out 3 & 5 year contracts to established players such as Kello and McLean.

Players don't want to sign 3 & 5 year contracts for bottom half SPL teams and they would be a big risk for a Club of our size.

What's risky about a three year contract ?

I'm sure they could be done in such a way that both parties if relegated could reduce terms or offer releases.

If we started signing players on 3-5 year deals and they don't work out, like Harkins, Guy, Imrie or if they wind up injury prone and spend the majority of the time on the sidelines then we're either stuck with useless/unhappy players taking a good wage or we have to pay out big fees to release them.

There's also the fact that most players probably don't want to be tied down to a middling Scottish team when they know there's a lot more money to be made down south.

In an ideal world we could be getting players like Mclean, McGinn and Kello tied down to 4 or 5 year deals but it just isn't very realistic.

Cup winning legend certainly, but not too bothered he's leaving.

He never performed anywhere near to his potential last season, and his baggage is something we could do without.

Hopefully we spend the big wage his leaving frees up wisely.

I expect McGowan will now sign for Motherwell and proceed to be brilliant.

In all honesty, I'm sure they'll be sniffing about him along with a fair few other Premiership teams who are better than us. McGowan is a proven good player at this level and I'm disappointed he's leaving. He was overshadowed by McLean in the second half of last season, though its not so long ago our fans were spitting venom at him before his form picked up.

Hope McGowan goes down south anyway. Don't fancy playing against him next season.

1 year contracts are pathetic. I'd be far happier if we started handing out 3 & 5 year contracts to established players such as Kello and McLean.

We can throw such contracts at players like confetti but there is no way they are going to sign them. Only the right top Champions League clubs can tie down players on contracts of that length. Mr Bosman saw the end to what were known back in the day as Jim McLean deals and that's probably for the best.

Some of your posts make me laugh honestly. Dilo came in the last seven games and proved himself extremely well. Make no mistake if Kello had left Dilo would have been our number one and could walk into most top flight teams no problem. To write he would need to drop down one or two levels is plain silly.

Yeah but Kello has signed so Dilo either has to accept being number 2 or move to another team. Most if not every top league team has their number 1 keeper sorted. Don't know about Dundee and Hamilton . I didn't say he wasn't good enough for this level but if he wants to play every week he'd either have to drop down a division or chance him arm down South. I don't know many many managers who'd gladly take a risk on a inexperienced 20 year old Goalkeeper as their number 1, apart from oor Danny.

I think he is too good to be sitting wasting on a bench but now Kello has signed Dilo has to accept it or move on and as I said if we lose him it would be a real shame. I would love to see us get him on a long term contract but theres pretty much no chance of that happening.

Yeah but Kello has signed so Dilo either has to accept being number 2 or move to another team. Most if not every top league team has their number 1 keeper sorted. Don't know about Dundee and Hamilton . I didn't say he wasn't good enough for this level but if he wants to play every week he'd either have to drop down a division or chance him arm down South. I don't know many many managers who'd gladly take a risk on a inexperienced 20 year old Goalkeeper as their number 1, apart from oor Danny.

I think he is too good to be sitting wasting on a bench but now Kello has signed Dilo has to accept it or move on and as I said if we lose him it would be a real shame. I would love to see us get him on a long term contract but theres pretty much no chance of that happen

Picked you up wrongly however having them both has that area well covered by two good goalies :)

I think he is too good to be sitting wasting on a bench but now Kello has signed Dilo has to accept it or move on and as I said if we lose him it would be a real shame. I would love to see us get him on a long term contract but theres pretty much no chance of that happening.

Goalkeepers don't work the same as other players though. A young goalie will learn a lot from a more experienced number one and doesn't necessarily need matches to stay sharp and develop properly, not when he's playing U20s every week, what he does need is a good first choice keeper and a good goalie coach. He wouldn't be wasting on a bench, he'd be learning.

Sure is and don't think the Jambo's were expecting it either ;)

To be fair, it was several prominent St Mirren fans who started the rumour he was on the way to us. McGowan would be a good signing for a lot of teams in the league, especially if the manager is firmer than Lennon was.

McGowan was fantastic during our first good spell after the win at Tynie. He then dropped off a bit and never really picked it back up, apart from the occasional one off performance. Saying that though he was having a lot of off field trouble so he could be worth another go. Regardless, he's on massive wages and hasn't been good enough this season so don't mind him getting punted.

It true he was on 3k a week? I find it hard to believe we are paying that kind of wage but heard it off a few people.

On the slim chance it was correct I hope we would use that money to offer Kenny or McGinn a year or two extensions on their deals

Archived