The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone comes in and offers an amount for McGinn that we consider to be derisory - say £300k - but which is still a lot more than we've commanded for a player for a very long time, do we take it and reinvest, or do we keep him for a season and watch him wind his contract down like Kenny? (Not having a go at Kenny, obviously, but it hurts that we've not got this great young player on a longer deal.)

If someone comes in and offers an amount for McGinn that we consider to be derisory - say £300k - but which is still a lot more than we've commanded for a player for a very long time, do we take it and reinvest, or do we keep him for a season and watch him wind his contract down like Kenny? (Not having a go at Kenny, obviously, but it hurts that we've not got this great young player on a longer deal.)

Depends on the level of compensation we'd receive for McGinn leaving once his contract goes. If it is near to the offer then probably no.

However sell-on fees seems to be where teams make money these days rather than a big whack of cash up front so that has to be considered too. Hamilton got a lot of McCarthy, but it can go wrong if the player doesn't cut it down south or gets injured.

Just before the last couple of transfer windows McLean has picked up injuries which can't have helped. I think that may have been a factor in McLean not moving on before. I'm sure there was a lot of talk about Burnley being interested in him before he got injured. If he does move down south then at least we will command some sort of fee. I don't think anyone can blame McLean for moving on, he became one of our most important players this season and has more than earned his big move.

Josh Magennis in the Northern Ireland squad :lol:

Jesus. I knew they were bad but that is just grim.

That's Vanzy officially leaving.

Sad to see him go, but it should have happened at the end of last season. One of Danny's biggest mistakes this season was sticking with him as first choice initially when it was clear his legs had completely gone.

Depends on the level of compensation we'd receive for McGinn leaving once his contract goes. If it is near to the offer then probably no.

However sell-on fees seems to be where teams make money these days rather than a big whack of cash up front so that has to be considered too. Hamilton got a lot of McCarthy, but it can go wrong if the player doesn't cut it down south or gets injured.

Don't see McLean or McGinn in McCarthy' class at all. McCarthy was a total stand out as an undeveloped (physically) kid, it was obvious he was going to be top notch if he avoided serious injury. Our two are certainly good players, but not in the class of McCarthy, and not by a distance. McLean will leave and we will get whatever compensation we are due, McGinn? depends, maybe a few hundred grand at best, depending on the level of club that might want him. ts possible he will see out his contract with us and then go, which is probably OK from our point of view unless he has an utter stormer of a start to next season and attracts attention, then he'll be sold in January to the highest bidder.

Van Zanten going is no surprise, his first spell was very good, helped us win some stuff and retain SPL status, but his second spell wasnt as good and no point keeping him now anyway. Senior player who has been usurped by a young kid on sweetie money in comparison. He will do someone a turn lower down no doubt. Was a good player to watch under Gus and with the system Gus employed which let him play as a wing back. As a full back he's rubbish.

DVZ was a decent servant for the club. Nice guy to boot.

Don't see McLean or McGinn in McCarthy' class at all. McCarthy was a total stand out as an undeveloped (physically) kid, it was obvious he was going to be top notch if he avoided serious injury. Our two are certainly good players, but not in the class of McCarthy, and not by a distance. McLean will leave and we will get whatever compensation we are due, McGinn? depends, maybe a few hundred grand at best, depending on the level of club that might want him. ts possible he will see out his contract with us and then go, which is probably OK from our point of view unless he has an utter stormer of a start to next season and attracts attention, then he'll be sold in January to the highest bidder.

Totally, just making the point that a sell on clause is vital. I think McGinn could go for £500K with a bit of luck. I know people on B&W army think 7 figures but that I can't see. Jonny Russell was only £750K or so.

Vanzy - legend. Right time to go but terrific servant for us.

If you are stuck for something to read this off-season may I suggest this? makes War and Peace look like a pamphlet: http://terracepodcast.net/scottish-premiership/2014/5/19/hot-goal-time-machine-st-mirren

I enjoyed that! I hadn't just forgotten some of those goals, but some of those seasons as well.

I enjoyed that! I hadn't just forgotten some of those goals, but some of those seasons as well.

Cheers, although maybe they aren't the most memorable ones if you'd forgotten them. I'd tried to erase some of those seasons from my memory mind you.

I believe Lex is doing the Saints player ratings piece for them which may be... interesting. Can you give a minus rating?

Isn't Vanzy arguably the most decorated Saint ever?

Great servant to the club and a top lad to boot.

Had seemed as if he's been running through treacle for the last 18 months though.

Vanzy has been a great servant to the club and he's definitely up there in terms of most decorated Saints players ever. However, the time is right for him to leave as he's clearly not capable of playing at this level anymore. I'm sure he'll be a good signing for a Scottish Championship team though. He really is a true St. Mirren legend!

Cheers, although maybe they aren't the most memorable ones if you'd forgotten them. I'd tried to erase some of those seasons from my memory mind you.

I believe Lex is doing the Saints player ratings piece for them which may be... interesting. Can you give a minus rating?

Some of those Pre-Hendrie then Pre-Gus seasons were pretty grim. I think you did well to pick out a highlight.

Isn't Vanzy arguably the most decorated Saint ever?

I believe he is joint with Hugh Murray and Billy Abercromby, all have 3 titles:

Abercromby: First Division 1977, Anglo Scottish Cup 1980, Scottish Cup 1987.

Murray: First Division 2000, First Division 2006, Challenge Cup 2006.

Van Zanten: First Division 2006, Challenge Cup 2006, League Cup 2013.

I believe he is joint with Hugh Murray and Billy Abercromby, all have 3 titles:

Abercromby: First Division 1977, Anglo Scottish Cup 1980, Scottish Cup 1987.

Murray: First Division 2000, First Division 2006, Challenge Cup 2006.

Van Zanten: First Division 2006, Challenge Cup 2006, League Cup 2013.

Did any other player feature in both campaigns? Its shocking that I have to ask that, but my mind has went completely blank. I certainly can't think of any.

Did any other player feature in both campaigns? Its shocking that I have to ask that, but my mind has went completely blank. I certainly can't think of any.

The only possibility I can think of is Lappin. He was certainly at the club in 2000, but I don't think he made any appearances, certainly not enough to win a medal.

Archived