The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I would agree that the ideal would be a flat, well fired, crispy buttery with butter and cheese. We had ham to use today, so went with that.

Sounds fine, I'll need to give it a try with ham... And it has to be well fired, I hate the doughy ones... 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I quite like the idea of Rowies being sold on match day. I honestly believe it would be a popular food item for a lot of folk while watching Scott Brown and co dismantle The Rangers at Pittodrie. You could even buy the 'Cormack Rowie' which has Bacon in the middle. I'm all for it!

@Don exotic Cormack wants Aberdeen winning trophies every season and finishing as high up the league as possible. He isn't content with just third spot. Glass' Aberdeen side are going to shock a lot of doubters next season. A player like Scott Brown or a coach like Allan Russell doesn't sign on unless there are plans for something big and reassurance of backing etc. 

Yeah youre right why the hell dont we serve butteries at Pittodrie??! Even a cold one is class, providing it was baked that day. I used to bring hunners to T in the Park each year, fair set you up for the day after a night on "various spirits" smuggled into the arena in a capri sun pouch concealed in your boxers

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Considine's on Open Goal for anyone interested.

Ferry's tolerable but shame the other boy is in it as his patter is hard work.

It’s ok if you can block out the annoying weegie voices.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think today was an encapulation of how the future will look. 

Get rid of the dead wood who add nothing to the team....Hayes, Kennedy, McGinn et al....and start to give more game time to players like Ramsey, Ross, Campbell and others. 

I thought Hayes was poor, and he has been poor for a little while now, but he did at least have a couple of driving runs to get us up the pitch when everybody else seemed to be passing the buck - the one on the stroke of half-time which ended up with a Dumbarton player having to scythe him down, for example. Still, I would prefer to see Mackenzie getting a run of games at left-back in the league now. 

Hoban was a big concern for me today. I can see the case for having him ahead of Taylor because his distribution is better when playing out from the back, but even that was rubbish today. 

We desperately need a creative midfielder in the summer. I thought Campbell was better than Ferguson and McCrorie today despite some of the criticism he was taking, but the lack of a creative, attacking midfielder who can unpick a low block means that we have to go out wide too often and regularly rely on hopeful punts into the box. Ramsay somewhat improved the quality of our deliveries today, but even then it isn't a tactic that you would want to be too dependent on, especially if Kamberi is your striker.  I wouldn't mind seeing Kennedy get a few games in the number ten position, which is apparently where he did much of his best work for St Johnstone. 

24 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

We're so shit it can genuinely only get better. 

All I'm taking from today's game. 

Confidence is an issue but hopefully today win hopefully helps in the future. Sheerin has changed our style to be more position based - needs a lot of work as bit too slow

Edited by betting competition

Guest Bob Mahelp
41 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I thought Hayes was poor, and he has been poor for a little while now, but he did at least have a couple of driving runs to get us up the pitch when everybody else seemed to be passing the buck - the one on the stroke of half-time which ended up with a Dumbarton player having to scythe him down, for example. Still, I would prefer to see Mackenzie getting a run of games at left-back in the league now. 

Hoban was a big concern for me today. I can see the case for having him ahead of Taylor because his distribution is better when playing out from the back, but even that was rubbish today. 

We desperately need a creative midfielder in the summer. I thought Campbell was better than Ferguson and McCrorie today despite some of the criticism he was taking, but the lack of a creative, attacking midfielder who can unpick a low block means that we have to go out wide too often and regularly rely on hopeful punts into the box. Ramsay somewhat improved the quality of our deliveries today, but even then it isn't a tactic that you would want to be too dependent on, especially if Kamberi is your striker.  I wouldn't mind seeing Kennedy get a few games in the number ten position, which is apparently where he did much of his best work for St Johnstone. 

I'll guarantee you that Hayes received the ball at least 20 times today, maybe more, where he was around 25 yards out of the left wing. Pretty much every single time he took a touch then cut inside, or played the ball backwards or sideways. 

I can't remember one time when he beat the full back on the outside and whipped a cross in.  It all meant that the game got slowed down and we were forced into the narrow channels where Dumbarton wanted us to be. 

Hayes has lost either his pace, or his confidence...most likely both. He's been a great servant to the club but it looks very much like his time has passed, and I can't see Glass playing him much next season. 

I agree completely that we desperately need a creative midfielder. Ferguson, McCrorie and Campbell are all too similar. Scott Allan seems to be out of the picture at Hibs....I think he would fit in our midfield very well. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I agree completely that we desperately need a creative midfielder. Ferguson, McCrorie and Campbell are all too similar. Scott Allan seems to be out of the picture at Hibs....I think he would fit in our midfield very well. 

I quite like Allan and I would like someone with some of his traits, but I'd hope we would be aiming slightly higher than a guy touching thirty who has recently been loaned to the Championship.

39 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

A warm rowie with Syrup, Peanut Butter or Nutella is fucking tremendous. 

Not only do you call it a rowie, you want it warm, and you want some shitey topping on it.  Honest to goodness.

Today wasn't nearly as bad as some folk would have you believe.

The main issues were caused by guys who aren't going to be here next year anyway.

At one point we played our way around their press on the right wing brilliantly...until the ball reached McGinn who took the ball back 15 yards towards our own goal from a promising counter attacking position.

Hayes, as mentioned by  @Bob Mahelp and McGinn slowed down everything today.

20 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Today wasn't nearly as bad as some folk would have you believe.

The main issues were caused by guys who aren't going to be here next year anyway.

At one point we played our way around their press on the right wing brilliantly...until the ball reached McGinn who took the ball back 15 yards towards our own goal from a promising counter attacking position.

Hayes, as mentioned by  @Bob Mahelp and McGinn slowed down everything today.

Today went like many, many games have this season. If we take a chance in the first half it’s a very comfortable afternoon. 

Quite why we are invariably then so poor in the 2nd half I have no idea. And the second really was as bad as made out.

As has been said, a good summer to freshen things up and make changes. Can’t come quick enough tbh. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Today went like many, many games have this season. If we take a chance in the first half it’s a very comfortable afternoon. 

Quite why we are invariably then so poor in the 2nd half I have no idea. And the second really was as bad as made out.

As has been said, a good summer to freshen things up and make changes. Can’t come quick enough tbh. 

Agreed on the first half.

Second half I'm talking about the wild overreactions on twitter. Get rid of everybody etc etc.

Campbell seems to be taking a lot of flak for "safe, short passes". It must have been near double figures where he played a cross field pass to a player in space in the opposition third. What the player does from there isn't his fault.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Agreed on the first half.

Second half I'm talking about the wild overreactions on twitter. Get rid of everybody etc etc.

Campbell seems to be taking a lot of flak for "safe, short passes". It must have been near double figures where he played a cross field pass to a player in space in the opposition third. What the player does from there isn't his fault.

Ah ok. I don’t have twitter so couldn’t comment. I have no doubt it’s bat shit mental anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I didn't really get the Campbell criticism either. I haven't always been his biggest fan, but most of his passes today seemed to be quite progressive and positive. His job was probably made harder by the lack of intelligent movement ahead of him centrally at times. I certainly thought he was the best, or the least bad, of the midfield three today. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

I didn't really get the Campbell criticism either. I haven't always been his biggest fan, but most of his passes today seemed to be quite progressive and positive. His job was probably made harder by the lack of intelligent movement ahead of him centrally at times. I certainly thought he was the best, or the least bad, of the midfield three today. 

Yeah I would agree.

You can certainly tell he has been told to be a bit more forward thinking. Derek absolutely likes a midfielder to play the safe passes. Look at Ryan Jack with us and how he plays for them.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Yeah I would agree.

You can certainly tell he has been told to be a bit more forward thinking. Derek absolutely likes a midfielder to play the safe passes. Look at Ryan Jack with us and how he plays for them.

Yeah, I'd like to see him playing with the handbrake off a bit more. He did that at Tannadice the other week and he was probably our best player that day. I think he's one of the players that Glass will be most looking forward to working with.