The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I actually turned to my mate and said it looked like Ferguson made the most of it. He does it all the time, I'm surprised the refs still buy it. I'm not saying Adam didn't strike him but Ferguson furnished with some theatrics...

This is what gets me, you don’t have to go down for it to be a foul. Regardless if Lewis Ferguson goes down, he got smacked in the face twice. It’s a foul even if he stays in his feet. And if you’re looking for a superb example of “going down too easily” it’s the Dundee player five seconds later.

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

I take it Aberdeen haven't had any decisions go in their favour this season, which has led to increased points, no? 

Just all went against you?  Very Rangersy chat, this.

I explained that - we had the basketball at Perth and a soft pen, that turned 1 point into 4 in the last two St Johnstone games.

Never even mentioned the Motherwell games - no blatant game changers there either, despite the MMA tactics we tend to face in these fixtures. 

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

I take it Aberdeen haven't had any decisions go in their favour this season, which has led to increased points, no? 

Just all went against you?  Very Rangersy chat, this.

I can't say I agree with him, but he did mention getting luck in other games.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

All fans of all teams will point to controversial decisions that they feel has gone against them. Yes we have had a few but the reason we are 9th is we don't score enough goals and we concede far too many soft goals. 

Agree these reasons allied to the previous managerial change/ "footballing philosophy" $hitshow is the reason we have 20-30 pts less than we have had at this stage of the season in much of the last decade.

However given the glob of mediocrity in the middle, and considering there's only three teams way ahead of the rest, so many poor calls going against us can still be the reason that we are not sitting maybe 4th or 5th, rather than 9th right now.

....or from a St Johnstone point of view, the reason we are not currently equal on points with them in the play-off position.

Really pissed off if that’s true. He’s our best centre half and has been a fantastic servant to the club. Even if he’s not going to play every week he’s still got a hell of a lot to offer as part of the squad, even as a player/youth coach as I know he’s going through his badges (Hibs have done this well with some of their older players).

Unless his injury has effectively ended his career then this is a really poor move from Goodwin and the club.

Think Consi will retire if the contract talks are completely dead in the water? He's obviously been out a fair bit of the season but been trying to regain fitness for months with a hope to playing for the Dons again.

I don't see him moving away from Aberdeen at this stage in his life and knowing he has a young family of 3/4 kids.

I doubt he'll pitch up at Balmoral, for numerous reasons, even though I think he'd do us well for a season. If he does it's getting ridiculous, our average is through the roof. Logan, Fyvie and Mitch have been superb. Reynolds ok but limited.

Always thought, and still do think, he's a one man club. Been some servant for the Dons.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

22 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Really pissed off if that’s true. He’s our best centre half and has been a fantastic servant to the club. Even if he’s not going to play every week he’s still got a hell of a lot to offer as part of the squad, even as a player/youth coach as I know he’s going through his badges (Hibs have done this well with some of their older players).

Unless his injury has effectively ended his career then this is a really poor move from Goodwin and the club.

Exacerbated by apparently replacing him with Charles Dunne.

35 minutes ago, ShadyLane said:

Getting rid of your best defender when defensively shocking seems like a smart move.

A 35 year old who’s just recovering from an 8 month injury.

No-one knows how fit he is or if he’s capable of playing at a high level still.

No-one knows if he was looking for a 2 year deal, as was rumoured - if so, he’s deluded.

At best, 12 months only. At best. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A 35 year old who’s just recovering from an 8 month injury.

No-one knows how fit he is or if he’s capable of playing at a high level still.

No-one knows if he was looking for a 2 year deal, as was rumoured - if so, he’s deluded.

At best, 12 months only. At best. 

I’d be amazed if he wanted more than a year to the point when he demanded it given his character, especially given Goodwin suggested it was more or less agreed.

I'm not jumping to conclusions.  I always thought there was a pretty good chance this injury would finish him.  His career was having a bit of an Indian summer, but he was never blessed with pace, already a veteran at the start of the season, now a year older and we can't have total confidence in his recovery.

Goodwin will have his budget and he has to take a view about what Conso is worth to the squad.  I'd expect his service to the club to be taken into account, and I'm sure it will have been - the club is aware that he's a popular player.  But if they are too far apart and Goodwin thinks the money can be better spent elsewhere, his job is to say so.

Rumours of a Ramirez transfer request, 200k fee for Dunne and Lewis, Woods, Jet and McLennan being told they can move on.

Had severe doubts about Goodwin, and while he deserves the chance to gut the squad, I’m quite concerned at what’s to come - especially given the Dunne idea and fee.

The Considine situation is made worse by the Devlin situation that came before it. If Devlin hadn’t been allowed to stick around for 2 years then it wouldn’t sting so much. Realistically, letting Consi go (in isolation) is the right choice, imo. 35, bad injury etc…. Signing Dunne however….

33 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Exacerbated by apparently replacing him with Charles Dunne.

I was criticised on here a week or so ago for saying we are cutting the wage bill but we definitely are. 

Ramirez, Lewis, McGeouch, Ojo and Considine are being allowed to leave as they are high earners.

Dunne and Harry Milne (Cove Rangers) are going to be on much lower wages. Spending £200,000 on Dunne is total madness.

No wonder St Mirren fans are offering to drive Dunne north.

I find it strange ahead of a big game where all the focus should be that this stuff comes out now - especially as we have a fortnight off afterwards, and maybe little left to play for should Saturday go against us.

Is it official? Or perhaps a naughty agent trying to break a Mexican standoff in the negotiations, by looking to get the fans' goodwill towards Andy to put pressure on the club.

If so, judging by some of the pant-pi$sing over-reactions on the usual channels it's working.

I think it's very conceivable he ends of up at Cove (if they secure promotion) or even one of the Dundee clubs should terms not be agreed.

When we first found out how bad his injury was my first thought was ‘that could be him finished’. 

I think we’d all love Andy to return but at his age it was always a distinct possibility that he wouldn’t be up to it even when the knee recovered. 

That being said, if it’s a case of Goodwin just trying to make his mark then that’s a very brave and very questionable move. I will reserve judgement until we know more. 

I also disagree that letting go of ojo and mcgeough indicates cost cutting. It makes perfect sense to get rid of high earners that aren’t expected to be regular choices.