The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

From what I hear, Mike Loggie (Saltire) still remains a little put out that Cormack didn't knock anything off their fee during the pandemic, and is generally unimpressed with our chairman.
May or may not be some truth in that - but very important for the club not to alienate those members of the local business community that are willing to invest in the club - as there's already enough to them who would rather put any of this kind of funding into other sports ventures, be that youth football, golf, athletics or worst of all, Cove !
We've certainly lost enough sponsorship to Cove since Cove rose into the SPFL.

Mind you, that's fair play to Cove for being commercially sound enough to offer an alternative at a cheaper price than AFC.

I can't comment on the pandemic part but Loggie is pretty unimpressed with Cormack from what I've also heard. Ultimately, that's not great, to lose Saltire.

2 hours ago, starryfish said:

Aberdeen have been absolutely honking this season and are deservedly near the bottom of the league. But I can’t remember a season where we’ve had so many refereeing decisions go against us. Maybe it’s just more apparent this season with crowds back in. I guess fans of all clubs likely have this same gripe, just feels that this season has seen a very poor standard of refereeing.

That's a complete fact, I have never known this many blatant calls that likely had an impact on the result to go against us.

It's a shame we only potentially have one more fixture against St Johnstone to "even them up over the season". We would probably need around half a dozen more St Johnstone matches to achieve equilibrium in these game changing calls from officials in our favour.

8 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Hope it’s something like BrewDog just to see the scenes and overreaction on Twitter 

Too late, there's been a leak

image.png.93859e5b05fc8f778751635cbb417de1.png

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

It would be good to see one of the major service companys get involved

I work for the biggest one and when I asked if they would consider sponsoring Aberdeen they said their policy is not to get involved in that type of deal...

It'll be some pishy little local outfit as per normal

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It was interesting hearing in Jonny Hayes after match interview that when he asked Beaton why he hadn’t given a foul against Charlie Adams when he hit Lewis Ferguson, Beaton said that Ferguson went down too easily. So you have to wonder what goes through a referee’s head when he doesn’t give a foul when a player gets smacked in the face with a fair force twice in a split second, and then less than five seconds later he gives a foul against Gallagher for barely putting his hand on the shoulder of a Dundee forward, who collapses as if he’d been hit in the face twice. And to add insult to injury he booked Gallagher.

I actually turned to my mate and said it looked like Ferguson made the most of it. He does it all the time, I'm surprised the refs still buy it. I'm not saying Adam didn't strike him but Ferguson furnished with some theatrics...

56 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

That's a complete fact, I have never known this many blatant calls that likely had an impact on the result to go against us.

It's a shame we only potentially have one more fixture against St Johnstone to "even them up over the season". We would probably need around half a dozen more St Johnstone matches to achieve equilibrium in these game changing calls from officials in our favour.

Dearie me, come on now, we've had a few, we don't want to start sounding like the Sevconians, we'll be wrapping Pittodrie in tinfoil next...

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Dearie me, come on now, we've had a few, we don't want to start sounding like the Sevconians, we'll be wrapping Pittodrie in tinfoil next...

I know and it sounds like the usual fitba fan sour grapes.

But....

Beaton doesn't give the pen at Ibrox in the first fixture (or the free kick that led to the equaliser for that matter)

Ojo doesn't get a red card at Tannadice.

Porteous gets a red card at Easter Road (and therefore doesn't score the only goal)

Celtic's winner in the Pittodrie midweeker is given offside

McGregor is sent off for pulling down Hedges 

Gallagher's header at Tynecastle isn't disallowed

Adam is pulled up for smashing Lewis F in the face at the weekend

That has 'potentially' cost us enough points to probably see us comfortably in 4th...........and we have not had enough St Johnstone games to redress the balance enough - because it is the perceived wisdom that tends to happen.

This doesn't get away from the fact we have been murder this season.............and if Saturday goes against us, will still need to take our medicine accordingly.

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I know and it sounds like the usual fitba fan sour grapes.

But....

Beaton doesn't give the pen at Ibrox in the first fixture (or the free kick that led to the equaliser for that matter)

Ojo doesn't get a red card at Tannadice.

Porteous gets a red card at Easter Road (and therefore doesn't score the only goal)

Celtic's winner in the Pittodrie midweeker is given offside

McGregor is sent off for pulling down Hedges 

Gallagher's header at Tynecastle isn't disallowed

Adam is pulled up for smashing Lewis F in the face at the weekend

That has 'potentially' cost us enough points to probably see us comfortably in 4th...........and we have not had enough St Johnstone games to redress the balance enough - because it is the perceived wisdom that tends to happen.

This doesn't get away from the fact we have been murder this season.............and if Saturday goes against us, will still need to take our medicine accordingly.

We’ve had plenty decisions go against us but I can’t remember many times feeling the ref has actually robbed us of anything if I’m honest. 

The game at ibrox maybe the only one. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’ve had plenty decisions go against us but I can’t remember many times feeling the ref has actually robbed us of anything if I’m honest. 

The game at ibrox maybe the only one. 

I would regard each one of those as an occasion where if the officials had done their job, there was a fair chance there would have been a different outcome in terms of points gained.

Maybe not Tynecastle, as we were so poor down there in the recent match and would probably have chucked that lead anyway.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I would regard each one of those as an occasion where if the officials had done their job, there was a fair chance there would have been a different outcome in terms of points gained.

Maybe not Tynecastle, as we were so poor down there in the recent match and would probably have chucked that lead anyway.

Maybe I’m just totally disheartened by this season, but:

- tannadice we were shite 

- we gifted Celtic a 2 goal lead at pittodrie by being utterly heinous for 45 minutes

- tynecastle horrendous 

- Easter road horrendous 

- Saturday the defending of those two free kicks at dens was absolutely risible 

I just think for the majority of examples you’ve given our own failings outweigh any refereeing decision in terms of the outcome so I just can’t bring myself to feel we’re that hard done by. 

23 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I take it Aberdeen haven't had any decisions go in their favour this season, which has led to increased points, no? 

Just all went against you?  Very Rangersy chat, this.

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I actually turned to my mate and said it looked like Ferguson made the most of it. He does it all the time, I'm surprised the refs still buy it. I'm not saying Adam didn't strike him but Ferguson furnished with some theatrics...

This is what gets me, you don’t have to go down for it to be a foul. Regardless if Lewis Ferguson goes down, he got smacked in the face twice. It’s a foul even if he stays in his feet. And if you’re looking for a superb example of “going down too easily” it’s the Dundee player five seconds later.

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

I take it Aberdeen haven't had any decisions go in their favour this season, which has led to increased points, no? 

I explained that - we had the basketball at Perth and a soft pen, that turned 1 point into 4 in the last two St Johnstone games.

Never even mentioned the Motherwell games - no blatant game changers there either, despite the MMA tactics we tend to face in these fixtures. 

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

I can't say I agree with him, but he did mention getting luck in other games.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

All fans of all teams will point to controversial decisions that they feel has gone against them. Yes we have had a few but the reason we are 9th is we don't score enough goals and we concede far too many soft goals. 

Agree these reasons allied to the previous managerial change/ "footballing philosophy" $hitshow is the reason we have 20-30 pts less than we have had at this stage of the season in much of the last decade.

However given the glob of mediocrity in the middle, and considering there's only three teams way ahead of the rest, so many poor calls going against us can still be the reason that we are not sitting maybe 4th or 5th, rather than 9th right now.

....or from a St Johnstone point of view, the reason we are not currently equal on points with them in the play-off position.

Really pissed off if that’s true. He’s our best centre half and has been a fantastic servant to the club. Even if he’s not going to play every week he’s still got a hell of a lot to offer as part of the squad, even as a player/youth coach as I know he’s going through his badges (Hibs have done this well with some of their older players).

Unless his injury has effectively ended his career then this is a really poor move from Goodwin and the club.

Think Consi will retire if the contract talks are completely dead in the water? He's obviously been out a fair bit of the season but been trying to regain fitness for months with a hope to playing for the Dons again.

I don't see him moving away from Aberdeen at this stage in his life and knowing he has a young family of 3/4 kids.

I doubt he'll pitch up at Balmoral, for numerous reasons, even though I think he'd do us well for a season. If he does it's getting ridiculous, our average is through the roof. Logan, Fyvie and Mitch have been superb. Reynolds ok but limited.

Always thought, and still do think, he's a one man club. Been some servant for the Dons.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

22 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Really pissed off if that’s true. He’s our best centre half and has been a fantastic servant to the club. Even if he’s not going to play every week he’s still got a hell of a lot to offer as part of the squad, even as a player/youth coach as I know he’s going through his badges (Hibs have done this well with some of their older players).

Unless his injury has effectively ended his career then this is a really poor move from Goodwin and the club.

Exacerbated by apparently replacing him with Charles Dunne.