The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

15 minutes ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Could be a lot worse. Approach it with the right attitude and we'll be fine.

Stroll in with the lazy, half-arsed approach that we've seen in our last 2 league games and we'll be shitting through the eye of a needle in Dingwall on the final day.

Yeah, I’m fairly relaxed right now but lose those first 2 home games and it’s squeaky bum time.

Asked my Swedish friend about Thelin on Facebook and got these replies:

Done it very well with a modest budget for Elfsborg the last 3 seasons (they were unlucky to not win the title last season). Modern analytic coach, often plays defensive and do not mind aggressive players. I thought he would be the next NT manager (and he interviewed for the role). I would say a good catch for Aberdeen if they have patience, he worked long term at Elfsborg and if I'd say something negative he's never been at a massively supported club where the fans demand results immediatly.

Elfsborg fans might take umbrage with my classification there 🙂, but TBH it's a place where you can can get away with an 11th place finish by saying you're rebuilding or something (which is not how it is at Malmö, AIK, Djurgården or IFK). But I definitely have respect for Jimmy who made results above his transfer budget and was good at buying on the cheap and developing those players into starters/lucrative sales.

About the only positive to come out of not being in the top six is that we don't have to suffer the Trophy Day at Celtic Park. Good luck to whichever team has to do that. 

Enjoyed the Burrows and Thelin interviews on RedTV.

I suppose the only concern is 'how patient is patient?'.  Fitba is very short-termist these days, and Thelin getting the breathing space to implement a coherent playing style with the right players sounds great - then reality can bite.

Would our support (and board) on the whole be classed as more or less patient than average?  I think we know the answer to that.

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Enjoyed the Burrows and Thelin interviews on RedTV.

I suppose the only concern is 'how patient is patient?'.  Fitba is very short-termist these days, and Thelin getting the breathing space to implement a coherent playing style with the right players sounds great - then reality can bite.

Would our support (and board) on the whole be classed as more or less patient than average?  I think we know the answer to that.

It's obviously on a completely different scale, but look at Arteta at Arsenal.

Got a bit of time and adapted and evolved the teams style.

A lot of young coaches could learn from him tbh.

The Robinson to St Mirren appointment was largely met with positivity. He had a poor start and there was (bizarrely if not surprisingly) restlessness within a matter of weeks. The key difference there is that he was starting from the club being in a reasonably good position (relative to previous seasons).

There is an argument that your new manager will be cut a fair amount of slack as things are unlikely to get much worse. That, however, hinges on managed expectations. I'm already seeing posts about a cup win and top four finish within his first season.  Perhaps not entirely unreasonable given the size of the club, budget available, etc, but I recall McInnes doing pretty well but it was never quite good enough for a substantial proportion of the Aberdeen support.

I would have thought that a solid top 6 finish and a tilt at Europe in his first season wouldn't be a failure, no?

Probably depends on how the football looks, one of the issues this season is there doesn't even really look like there's a coherent Plan A, let alone a B or C. We're basically reacting to what we're up against and performing at a similar level, so we ran PAOK close twice and have had 0-0s against Livi twice with broadly the same personnel.

19 minutes ago, Drooper said:

The Robinson to St Mirren appointment was largely met with positivity. He had a poor start and there was (bizarrely if not surprisingly) restlessness within a matter of weeks. The key difference there is that he was starting from the club being in a reasonably good position (relative to previous seasons).

There is an argument that your new manager will be cut a fair amount of slack as things are unlikely to get much worse. That, however, hinges on managed expectations. I'm already seeing posts about a cup win and top four finish within his first season.  Perhaps not entirely unreasonable given the size of the club, budget available, etc, but I recall McInnes doing pretty well but it was never quite good enough for a substantial proportion of the Aberdeen support.

I would have thought that a solid top 6 finish and a tilt at Europe in his first season wouldn't be a failure, no?

Not true.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

A very common rewriting of history there. It’s ok, sportsound repeat it most weeks so who could blame you. 

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Them's diddy standards 

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

The part quoted.

Which part of the part quoted? That he was doing reasonably well (subjective, so difficult to claim that it isn't true), or the perception of the support?

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

About the only positive to come out of not being in the top six is that we don't have to suffer the Trophy Day at Celtic Park. Good luck to whichever team has to do that. 

Nobody wants that experience… surely won’t be us as we have been there three times by end of this campaign.. Even the SFA wouldn’t send us there first day of next Season after that ……Or would they ???

3 hours ago, Drooper said:

I recall McInnes doing pretty well but it was never quite good enough for a substantial proportion of the Aberdeen support.

I expect this is the bit most Dons fans would contest. There was a vocal minority who may never have been happy, but what support doesn't have a frankly dim vocal minority? As @Dons_1988 says, Sportsound repeats the 'What do they expect? They hounded out McInnes etc' nonsense ad nauseam. Same hacks who suggest Neil Lennon for every job going.

McInnes did do well for several seasons, but we were on a downward slope for at least 18 months before he left. And he was also unwilling to work in the structure Cormack and the board wanted to bring in, so it was only going to end one way.

3 hours ago, Drooper said:

I agree this would be reasonable for Thelin's first season - with evidence of the pitch of some adaptability and well-drilled patterns of play. Some sort of f*cking plan, basically, which we've been missing for a while. If I can see what he's trying to achieve, and I flatter myself that I'm not in that dim minority, then I'd take a top 6 finish and decent cup runs. I expect most would. 

26 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

I expect this is the bit most Dons fans would contest. There was a vocal minority who may never have been happy, but what support doesn't have a frankly dim vocal minority? As @Dons_1988 says, Sportsound repeats the 'What do they expect? They hounded out McInnes etc' nonsense ad nauseam. Same hacks who suggest Neil Lennon for every job going.

McInnes did do well for several seasons, but we were on a downward slope for at least 18 months before he left. And he was also unwilling to work in the structure Cormack and the board wanted to bring in, so it was only going to end one way.

I agree this would be reasonable for Thelin's first season - with evidence of the pitch of some adaptability and well-drilled patterns of play. Some sort of f*cking plan, basically, which we've been missing for a while. If I can see what he's trying to achieve, and I flatter myself that I'm not in that dim minority, then I'd take a top 6 finish and decent cup runs. I expect most would. 

Really good, considered reply.

1 hour ago, Ampersand said:

We get this with Callum Davidson too, and I expect if we get relegated while he keeps Queens Park up then there'll be a lot of "they shouldve kept him, got what they deserved, he won the double remember" chat from "pundits".