The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If the flag had stayed down the defence wouldn't have stopped playing on hearing the whistle seconds before the ball was played across the box. Therefore Clarkson's pass might never have made it to the back post, while the goalkeeper would also have been playing to the whistle so even if the pass did get beyond the defence he might have shut down Miovski's angle for the shot and saved it.

Aberdeen didn't have a goal disallowed last night.

Aye, the defenders packed it in as soon as the whistle went. Not to say Aberdeen wouldn't have scored, but there were 3 defenders that would have stuck a boot out to block the cross if the ball was still in play. Wasn't surprised it was one of the first things Miller mentioned after the game.

9 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Cormack’s cash was welcome though!

Given after a six game decent run under Jim at SMFC. Six games, not even all wins either. Not a good entire season, not touted as the next Pep Guardiola, not being head hunted by bigger English clubs like Alex Neil was at Hamilton. Six decent games. Baffling. Utterly baffling. Was baffling then, is still baffling today. The only explanation is that Cormack is a fcuking lunatic.

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Patrizio Billio has passed away aged 48.

Again, it was desperate times for us, just like now, when Billio played for the Dons but sad to hear he's passed at such a young age.

Was it Billio that was attacked by Bonetti?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Given after a six game decent run under Jim at SMFC. Six games, not even all wins either. Not a good entire season, not touted as the next Pep Guardiola, not being head hunted by bigger English clubs like Alex Neil was at Hamilton. Six decent games. Baffling. Utterly baffling. Was baffling then, is still baffling today. The only explanation is that Cormack is a fcuking lunatic.

Aye, but Alex Ferguson once managed St Mirren.

I'm seeing a lot of the same "club is rotten to the core, we're in a dire mess, big changes needed from top to bottom" comments that were common pre-McInnes. 
But just like it was then, getting a manager in who is a bit smarter/more experienced with tactics and man management can quickly make a big difference. This is not to say there aren't problems with the structure or non-playing staff, but we won't care if the next manager is decent.

Embarrassing week for us, no doubt about it. 

From what I saw last night the Aberdeen players lost that game, not the Manager.

You have to question the whole DNA at Pitoddrie.

One League Cup in around 20 years for a Major Scottish team is significant, so that defeat last night was inevitable.

And it may well be the wake up call the Dons are needing.

It happened to Celtic when we beat them with Barnes and Dalglish out the door.

Should you sack Jim. Hard to say. He's a decent manager if a bit one dimensional. He's pretty good at setting out teams to shithouse their way through a game. Not so good setting up teams any other way.  Is that enough for the Dons? Probably not. Can see this being Jack Ross's next port of call. 

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He once managed East Stirlingshire, is that our next port of call?

Probably, Cormack trying to be smart and "beat the rush" to the next big thing.

Genuinely surprised he hasn't gone yet, either by Cormack's hand or by his own.

I like Goodwin, and in general I think he's a decent manager for this level, but he suffers somewhat from being a little blinkered by his own ideas, and while he did well with us, he also has some long turgid spells where the football and results were awful. Not sure if it's arrogance or his back room team not being strong enough, but that Darvel loss coupled with a fairly torrid time in the league, after previously putting together a decent-ish run, is peak Goodwin/St Mirren, and I guess it was probably the same at Alloa.

I always feel that average managers become good managers by learning to cover over their weaknesses. For me, Goodwin's weakness is his inability to change games, and last night is a perfect example, regardless of the personnel change, that Aberdeen side never changed gear or increased their impetus. With the extra money and resources I thought he might bring in a better standard of player which in turn would mitigate problems, and to a certain extent they have, but not the extent that was needed.

That all said, he's got to go though, right? He can't stay on after that, especially as at times Darvel were outplaying a club that claims to be the 3rd best in the country.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

That all said, he's got to go though, right? He can't stay on after that, especially as at times Darvel were outplaying a club that claims to be the 3rd best in the country.

Yes, away from it all this is the crux. 

He’s lost the fans. He shouldn’t really survive a 4-0 at tannadice or a 5-0 at tynecastle but last night absolutely 100% has to be terminal. 

The fact he’s managed all 3 in a few months is impressive.