Best Wrong Number ever received

On a similar-ish note, I once was responsible for putting a wrong phone number on the rent cards of about 8500 people in my local authority. For a two week period (until they were all re-issued), the Council Office in Carnoustie had the same number as an Arbroath takeaway.

Got an ever so slight cunting for that one.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst are when you get a call from someone with a wrong number.

"Sorry, wrong number"

"I don't think so"

"What number do you have there?"

"xxxxxxxxxxx"

"Yeah that's my number, sorry"

"Yeah but thats the number I'm looking for"

It clearly isn't you fucking mutant.

I've had that before but the woman phoned me back twice then started mouthing off at me. I made sure she didn't call again by calling her a swear word.

"Sorry, wrong number"

"I don't think so"

"xxxxxxxxxxx"

I'm always intrigued by the psychology behind people getting angry at the recipient of a wrong number call. "Well how come this is the number I have?" etc. Do they think the person they've called really is who they want to speak to but they're just being difficult?

For a long time I would arrive at work to find a voice mail saying "I need you to call me back." Except the caller never said who they were or what their number was. Not too much I could do about it but as time went on, the tone got more and more aggressive. "Are you ever going to call me back? Don't make me call you again!" and so on. One day the phone was ringing as I walked in, so I picked up and was immediately met with a torrent of abuse about how he'd been calling me for weeks and who the hell did I think I was and on and on and on. When he finally let me get a word in, I explained that he had the wrong number but that just set him off once more. "Don't give me that, I have your number right here!" I hung up on him but my phone rang incessantly for the next 30 minutes. And then I never heard from him again.

On another occasion I received a series of calls for someone who had apparently put my number on one of these job search web sites. I suspect he had the number before me but he was a shoe salesman and quite in demand. To make things interesting, he had the same first name as me so whether I answered or it went to voice mail, people naturally assumed they had the right person and went straight into their spiel. One time his Dad called and I still had to work hard to explain that he had the wrong number.

"Sorry, wrong number"

"I don't think so"

"xxxxxxxxxxx"

Not phone related, but I had a similar experience with a flat I lived in. Answered the door - there was a girl in her 20s and her mother, who said they were there to view the place. As it wasn't for sale, told them they had the wrong flat number, and as there were 30-odd in the building - it was a converted school - I didn't know which one WAS for sale, so they'd be better going back to the estate agent.

Door went again two minutes later, and I was confronted with the old yin waving a bit of paper in my face saying,

"It IS this one - it says here!"

"It's not - I think I'd know if I was selling the place...."

"But it says right here!"

"Look - do you think I put the flat up for sale and then forgot?"

Ended up with the daughter, who'd hung back in embarrassment, dragging her maw away still muttering that it was the right flat and I was at it.

I had one the other day from a very upset woman asking if I could do her husband's funeral. Bit of an awkward moment, especially when she dialled my number again 30 seconds later.

So, how did the funeral go?

My business landline was diverted to my mobile. Only problem was that the landline was one digit away from the local takeaway. Every Friday and Saturday night I got around half a dozen calls from fat-fingered, pissed-up kebab whores looking for a way to initiate tomorrow's ring-sting.

Despite me picking up the cost of the call via divert charges, I was generally polite and told them that they had the wrong number. However, I used to get people arguing with me, telling me that I was the one who was wrong and they were certain that they dialled the correct number and demanded I took their order.

Of course, I obliged on several occasions, taking their 'order' which of course would never arrive.

Nae donner for you, pal.

On a similar-ish note, I once was responsible for putting a wrong phone number on the rent cards of about 8500 people in my local authority. For a two week period (until they were all re-issued), the Council Office in Carnoustie had the same number as an Arbroath takeaway.

Got an ever so slight cunting for that one.

As a recent resident of Angus Council I think I'd get more joy from an Arbroath takeaway than I would from the Council.

About 12 years ago I moved to a house and the 'new' 'phone number we were given had recently belonged to a known local gangster and drug dealer. To make things worse this guy has the same first name as myself; this led to a couple of awkward calls my wife took. We got our number changed sharpish.

As a recent resident of Angus Council I think I'd get more joy from an Arbroath takeaway than I would from the Council.

About 12 years ago I moved to a house and the 'new' 'phone number we were given had recently belonged to a known local gangster and drug dealer. To make things worse this guy has the same first name as myself; this led to a couple of awkward calls my wife took. We got our number changed sharpish.

Clive isn't very 'gangstery' !

When I was ten, I answered the phone to someone who was convinced that I was his mate putting on a kid's voice, but refused to give his or the mate's name. Nearest he got was calling himself 'Freddy Mercury's Ghost' (mad bantz). He was paying for the call and seemed gleefully happy that I couldn't work out who it was, so I stayed on the line listening to his tired pish (the guy had some really weak comic material) while doing other things. Every now and then he'd ask, "have you really not guessed who I am yet?", my answer to which was, "I don't know you, you've obviously got the wrong number".

This went on for about an hour until I needed the loo (back in the days of corded analogue phones), so I told him I'd have to go, at which point he suddenly seemed to realise that I wasn't who he'd called to speak to and I got a mouthful of abuse for wasting his money (calls cost a fortune when BT was the only option). I'm guessing that I saved him some money - no way anybody would've listened to his dire patter for an hour without a payment being involved somewhere.

Many moons later, I lived in St Ninians for a while, and our number was (as per) one digit away from the local health clinic. Several wrong numbers, every day, most of which went to our answering machine because they were open during normal work hours (I'm guessing). The most common calls were to ask about free rubbers; what brands/sizes/types they stocked, when the next delivery would be in (left by a very desperate sounding guy), could somebody show them how to put one on, etc.

We also got a lot of poor scared lassies (NEVER men) asking about their STI results. The best of those was the girl who wanted to know about her STI panel because she was "dead feart ae tetanus" :shutup Stay away from those rusty dildos, ladies...

Oh, and I genuinely used to know a lady whose number was similar to a local chinese takeaway, and she used to take the stray orders for them. Folk would call her by mistake, she'd take their name, number and order, then call the chinese and pass the details on. Actually saw it happen while I was there. Apparently she was so dismayed by the abuse that she'd sometimes get from morons refusing to acknowledge the possibility that their infallible fingers could have dialled incorrectly, that she thought this would be an easier alternative. She had no idea if anybody realised what was going on either; I've known takeaways that were good at recognising the voices of regulars, so you'd think they'd have been confused by this wee old lady calling every night with different names and phone numbers :wacko:

I once actually dialled a wrong number and this sweet old woman who sounded at least 80 years of age answered in that vibrato way old people do:

"Helloo-o-o-o?"

Me: "Hi is that _____"

Her: "No-o-o. Is that the surgeryyyy?"

Me: "No, sorry I was looking for _____"

Her: "Oh-h. I must've dialled the wrong number, I was looking for the surgery"

Me: "What? I phoned you."

Her: "Is that Dr Bronson?"

Me "..." *hang up*

Poor old thing probably had dementia.

I've had someone call our office before obviously thinking it was there bank, before I could greet her I heard this strong African voice shouting down the phone:

"Where arrrre my beneefeets?!?"

Everytime I went to speak to explain it was the wrong number she would reply back screaming she wanted her benefits. I hung up on her, only 5 minutes later to have someone I sat next too get her on the call wanting to speak to the banks head manager about her benefits missing. :lol

She's probably still calling random people demanding her benefits

Archived