Sportsound Watch

You can sort of understand it from a Radio Clyde perspective - as they're a commercial organisation and they cover a regional heavily populated with OF fans. In contrast the BBC are a public service broadcaster and their national coverage is going out to a populace of whom over half aren't OF supporters.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

You can sort of understand it from a Radio Clyde perspective - as they're a commercial organisation and they cover a regional heavily populated with OF fans. In contrast the BBC are a public service broadcaster and their national coverage is going out to a populace of whom over half aren't OF supporters.

In a similar way to the fact that the political output of the balanced BBC is largely lead by the lines taken by highly partisan newspapers, the subjects covered by Sportsound are pretty much led by the lines taken by tabloids that have a massive bias towards OF coverage for commercial reasons. For Sportsound to cover "the rest" with any sense of proportion would require them to become a sports news-gathering organisation which doesn't seem to be a focus for BBC Scotland. Instead, they produce a cheap programme that effectively discusses what's in the Record that day and is an easy way to fill a schedule.

Maybe a fair point. I rarely if ever listen to it myself now - for much the reasons mentioned - but if it's on 5 nights with 6 items a day = 30 items, then it certainly isn't proportional to the typical attendance over fortnight, which (expressed "from 1,000 people") is:

(2016-17)
219 ... Celtic
197 ... Rangers
   65 ... Hearts
   62 ... Hibs
   50 ... Aberdeen
   26 ... Dundee Utd
   26 ... Dundee
   20 ... Kilmarnock
   20 ... Falkirk
   18 ... Motherwell
   18 ... Dunfermline
   18 ... St Johnstone
   17 ... Partick
   16 ... Ross County
   16 ... Inverness
   14 ... St Mirren
   11 ... Raith
   10 ... Hamilton
   29 ... rest of Championship
   23 ... SPFL1
   22 ... SPFL2
104 ... non-league

Maybe a fair point. I rarely if ever listen to it myself now - for much the reasons mentioned - but if it's on 5 nights with 6 items a day = 30 items, then it certainly isn't proportional to the typical attendance over fortnight, which (expressed "from 1,000 people") is:

(2016-17)
219 ... Celtic
197 ... Rangers
   65 ... Hearts
   62 ... Hibs
   50 ... Aberdeen
   26 ... Dundee Utd
   26 ... Dundee
   20 ... Kilmarnock
   20 ... Falkirk
   18 ... Motherwell
   18 ... Dunfermline
   18 ... St Johnstone
   17 ... Partick
   16 ... Ross County
   16 ... Inverness
   14 ... St Mirren
   11 ... Raith
   10 ... Hamilton
   29 ... rest of Championship
   23 ... SPFL1
   22 ... SPFL2
104 ... non-league

I've also given up on it. It's absolute dross.

From experience, writing and complaining is completely pointless. You can only complain about aspects of a single programme rather than the overall content and quality of the entire show over weeks, months and years. The complaint is then passed on to BBC Scotland - so essentially the part of the BBC who are happily churning out this dreadful stuff - who send a standard response saying everything is wonderful and everyone loves it and the problem is obviously you. Their complaints procedure is an absolute joke.

f**k BBC Scotland. A shower of c***s.

22 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I've also given up on it. It's absolute dross.

From experience, writing and complaining is completely pointless. You can only complain about aspects of a single programme rather than the overall content and quality of the entire show over weeks, months and years. The complaint is then passed on to BBC Scotland - so essentially the part of the BBC who are happily churning out this dreadful stuff - who send a standard response saying everything is wonderful and everyone loves it and the problem is obviously you. Their complaints procedure is an absolute joke.

f**k BBC Scotland. A shower of c***s.

I've also given up on the show - really dreadful these days

BBC 'Scotland' is supposed to cover Scottish football. They aren't meant to cover 'Scottish football based on the number of fans that go and watch a team'.  It's a reason the tv tax exists.  Their content should quite simply be driven by the league tables, plural, and the up and coming fixtures. They are uniquely positioned to give great coverage to eg a crucial League One fixture but choose not to.  They quite simply fail miserably to do their job, cause more damage to the game than good and are just not fit for their purpose.

BBC 'Scotland' is supposed to cover Scottish football. They aren't meant to cover 'Scottish football based on the number of fans that go and watch a team'.  It's a reason the tv tax exists.  Their content should quite simply be driven by the league tables, plural, and the up and coming fixtures. They are uniquely positioned to give great coverage to eg a crucial League One fixture but choose not to.  They quite simply fail miserably to do their job, cause more damage to the game than good and are just not fit for their purpose.

Instead they are catering purely for armchair type fans. It's Sevco/Celtic/Sevco/Celtic and then some English Premiership scores. It's a pile of absolute steaming shite.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The Guardian one does a bit (though I prefer it when they don't!). Their focus is the Premiership and the Euro leagues in the main though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

https://audioboom.com/channel/the-totally-football-show-with-james-richardson

There are other ways to listen to both.

I think both out Mon/Thurs.

Cheers

They often list the English Premier League scores before even mentioning our Championship games and below.

I struggle to find any redeeming features in the show. I even dislike the things that are regularly listed as positives in this thread (Richard Gordon, Tom English etc).

Gordon seems to have gone native in recent times.

Even the Saturday shows - which I listen to on the way back up to the house after games - are fucking shite. Waffle on about Celtic and their unbeaten domestic record *yawn*, then straight into Yer Da Radio with Off The Ball. No time for going round the grounds for a round-up, then some more detailed interviews.

5 hours ago, 7-2 said:

The only balancing these c***s do is trying to ensure there's almost as much green bigot coverage as blue.

That genuinely will be the extent of concern they entertain over questions of balance.

For far too many, giving equal attention to two teams while ignoring dozens of others really will equate to ensuring balance.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Fair point - interest and minority stories, not just by proportions. My point was really that they're not even giving proportional coverage though - they give more to OF than their proportions.

58 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair point - interest and minority stories, not just by proportions. My point was really that they're not even giving proportional coverage though - they give more to OF than their proportions.

They shouldn't be proportioning anything though.  If a situation demands a lot of coverage, give it. appropriately. They shouldn't be thinking 'we've covered x a lot so we'd better cover y to make up for it'.  

9 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Pat Bonnar saying both of Celtic's penalty awards in the last two game were correct.. Thick as shite in the neck of a bottle. 

Hearing him lose the plot when Barry Wilson said McGregor had dived was wonderful. His outright bias in favour of Celtic should be an embarrassment to the BBC. 

9 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Pat Bonnar saying both of Celtic's penalty awards in the last two game were correct.. Thick as shite in the neck of a bottle. 

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Hearing him lose the plot when Barry Wilson said McGregor had dived was wonderful. His outright bias in favour of Celtic should be an embarrassment to the BBC. 

That was absolutely wild. He wasn't for letting anyone else get a word in either. His incredulity at Barry Wilson was tremendous listening.

10 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Im not sure what im even watching anymore...Its like making a f@cking story around an incident  to justify the outcome ..There is the exact same "contact " every time  at a corner etc , and worse , but very few seem to hit the deck as if hit by a sniper ..Would be good to ask Bonner  at a live game why 18 people don,t fall over in the box at a set piece  while all making contact..The games fukt  if a player says  " i felt contact so i went down "........