Sportsound Watch

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Transition? Transition? F*ck*ng transition? It’s a f*ck*ng counter attack!

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Transition? Transition? F*ck*ng transition? It’s a f*ck*ng counter attack!

Seconded / thirded ?

What is the name of that thread again ?

42 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think there's something really interesting in this. Gordon's response doesn't actually contradict what Thompson is saying.

Penalties are considered by most stat collectors to be random events in football. There are very few variables that effect what number of penalties any team will concede or receive in a given season, but clearly the most obvious one is the touches taken in the box / the number of touches your opponent takes in the box.

From last years Premier League season, an article showing a strong correlation between the two: https://www.footballcritic.com/features/is-manchester-uniteds-luck-with-penalties-masking-attacking-issuesc/1102

From this, we can confirm that the number of penalties a team concedes will be proportional to the number of touches they allow an opponent within their box. Given that Rangers are on course to absolutely shatter the existing record for goals conceded in a 38 game Premiership season, it's pretty obvious that they're limiting the touches an opponent gets in their box to historically low levels. That's probably why Rangers aren't conceding penalties.

So why are St Mirren and Dundee Utd so low?

Well, there is still room for variance here. As we said earlier, penalties are random events, so it's not impossible that some teams are just luckier than others.

I think an interesting question might be - is there a correlation between each teams style of play and the likelihood that they are awarded/concede penalties? To me, St Mirren and Dundee United are teams (along with Rangers) that have a good defensive shape. Whereas the teams at the top end of the penalties conceded table (Ross County, Celtic/Aberdeen/Hibs/Motherwell) maybe don't have that (with the exception of Hibs, who are defensively quite sound). Perhaps you're more likely to concede penalties when defending a transition than you are if you're defending in your shape?

You jinxed us , you #### !

18 minutes ago, sophia said:

Chick Young, born 1951, said he has campaigned for all his life against artificial pitches, an early example of such is the surface first installed by Stirling Albion in 1987.

He was dragged out last night by BBC Scot Drivetime to comment on Tommy Docherty's passing.

Gave him a chance to ramble on, legitimately,  for once.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, spalding said:

Michael Stewart is seething about the red card in the OF game today. 

Absolute cock of a boay 

He's not seething at all. That's not remotely what he just said.

He said several times it was borderline.

Who's the female reporter at the Alloa game today on open all mics? She's feckin hopeless. Screams goal then proceeds to wait about a minute trying to work out which player scored. 

I'd hate to be a budding reporter that's been knocked back and hear this attempt at live reporting. 

Hopeless. 

And I'd say the same if it was a male reporter doing the same as well. 

The summmariser at Alloa is Heather Dewar. 12 years employed by BBC, has undoubtedly presented more live radio broadcasts than anybody else on the show today, besides Richard Gordon himself.

Her supposed crime today is that she took a short while to confirm one goal scorer at Alloa (due to the poor light), then took a short while to confirm the next goal (due to a number of bodies obscuring view). Or in other words, she patiently and calmly waited to confirm the salient fact of the name of the goalscorer to the listening audience rather than wildly speculating or making funny "golllllallll" noises like Biscuits and the Boys do.

I think every week any female broadcaster on this show has to perform to a significantly higher standard than her male colleagues in order just not to get mentioned on here. Whilst a number of male broadcasters get a free pass on here, and if criticised are never gendered in that criticism.

Sandra Brown excluded, who is by any objective standard rubbish.

The summmariser at Alloa is Heather Dewar. 12 years employed by BBC, has undoubtedly presented more live radio broadcasts than anybody else on the show today, besides Richard Gordon himself.

Her supposed crime today is that she took a short while to confirm one goal scorer at Alloa (due to the poor light), then took a short while to confirm the next goal (due to a number of bodies obscuring view). Or in other words, she patiently and calmly waited to confirm the salient fact of the name of the goalscorer to the listening audience rather than wildly speculating or making funny "golllllallll" noises like Biscuits and the Boys do.

I think every week any female broadcaster on this show has to perform to a significantly higher standard than her male colleagues in order just not to get mentioned on here. Whilst a number of male broadcasters get a free pass on here, and if criticised are never gendered in that criticism.

Sandra Brown excluded, who is by any objective standard rubbish.
Didn't listen, but I don't think there's a single male broadcaster who gets a free pass on here. They're more or less all relentlessly panned.

Didn't listen, but I don't think there's a single male broadcaster who gets a free pass on here. They're more or less all relentlessly panned.
Fair to a point. But struggling to find any critique which starts "who is that man at...", casually disregards their clear skills and expertise to perform the broadcasting job at hand, before ending with "and I would say the same thing if he was a woman".

Fair to a point. But struggling to find any critique which starts "who is that man at...", casually disregards their clear skills and expertise to perform the broadcasting job at hand, before ending with "and I would say the same thing if he was a woman".
The thing is that we all know the men as we remember them as players, have an opinion on them already, and know what they look like.

All the various women are to me is a collection of voices so it's not surprising that folk don't remember who is who. This is evident by people on here being able to remember it was the likes of Leanne Crichton or Shelley Kerr who said something but not the other female journos.

The thing is that we all know the men as we remember them as players, have an opinion on them already, and know what they look like.

All the various women are to me is a collection of voices so it's not surprising that folk don't remember who is who. This is evident by people on here being able to remember it was the likes of Leanne Crichton or Shelley Kerr who said something but not the other female journos.
Heather Dewar presented the sports bulletins on Good Morning Scotland for a long number of years, amongst other jobs on Radio Scotland. She features regularly on Sportsound.

Meaning she is a much more recognisable voice to me than e.g. Mr Random Ex Hibs Player who pops up every so often on Open All Mics but otherwise would not be heard on a daily basis on the station.

She's not beyond criticism, far from it, but I just objected to the gendered comments in the criticism made today.

Why not just say something like: "Who is the reporter at Alloa today? Taking an age to identify the goalscorer, it disrupts the flow of the show". The rest of the comments were tripe.