Sportsound Watch

Heather Dewar presented the sports bulletins on Good Morning Scotland for a long number of years, amongst other jobs on Radio Scotland. She features regularly on Sportsound.

Honestly, I can't remember having heard the name Heather Dewar before today. I've never listened to Good Morning Scotland in my life and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If you don't know the name of the person how else are you supposed to narrow it down for others? Are we getting to the stage where it's like being in a busy bar taking about "the guy over there with the cufflinks" because you're too afraid to call him black? She was the only female on today so people knew instantly to whom he was referring.

Speaking of random ex-Hibs players I thought Tam McManus showed promise when he started a few years back, whatever happened to him?

Honestly, I can't remember having heard the name Heather Dewar before today. I've never listened to Good Morning Scotland in my life and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If you don't know the name of the person how else are you supposed to narrow it down for others? Are we getting to the stage where it's like being in a busy bar taking about "the guy over there with the cufflinks" because you're too afraid to call him black? She was the only female on today so people knew instantly to whom he was referring.

Speaking of random ex-Hibs players I thought Tam McManus showed promise when he started a few years back, whatever happened to him?
Seeing as there was only one reporter at Alloa today, narrow it down by asking "who was the reporter at Alloa today?". Not tricky.

42 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Heather Dewar presented the sports bulletins on Good Morning Scotland for a long number of years, amongst other jobs on Radio Scotland. She features regularly on Sportsound.

Meaning she is a much more recognisable voice to me than e.g. Mr Random Ex Hibs Player who pops up every so often on Open All Mics but otherwise would not be heard on a daily basis on the station.

She's not beyond criticism, far from it, but I just objected to the gendered comments in the criticism made today.

Why not just say something like: "Who is the reporter at Alloa today? Taking an age to identify the goalscorer, it disrupts the flow of the show". The rest of the comments were tripe.

Congrats on being one of the five people who actually listens to Radio Scotland other than on a Saturday afternoon.

Seeing as there was only one reporter at Alloa today, narrow it down by asking "who was the reporter at Alloa today?". Not tricky.
What does it matter if you refer to the reporter at Alloa or the female reporter? I think you're looking to be offended. Calling a woman a woman doesn't mean you're sexist. As someone else pointed out everyone in the media gets a hard time regardless of their gender.

Doesn't Tam McManus work for Hibs TV this season? I agree though, he was usually decent.

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Meaning she is a much more recognisable voice to me than e.g. Mr Random Ex Hibs Player who pops up every so often on Open All Mics but otherwise would not be heard on a daily basis on the station.

She's not beyond criticism, far from it, but I just objected to the gendered comments in the criticism made today.

Why not just say something like: "Who is the reporter at Alloa today? Taking an age to identify the goalscorer, it disrupts the flow of the show". The rest of the comments were tripe.

How many times have people asked "Who was the guy that...." though.

Calling a woman a woman isnt sexist.

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Cheers Heather. 

7 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The summmariser at Alloa is Heather Dewar. 12 years employed by BBC, has undoubtedly presented more live radio broadcasts than anybody else on the show today, besides Richard Gordon himself.

Her supposed crime today is that she took a short while to confirm one goal scorer at Alloa (due to the poor light), then took a short while to confirm the next goal (due to a number of bodies obscuring view). Or in other words, she patiently and calmly waited to confirm the salient fact of the name of the goalscorer to the listening audience rather than wildly speculating or making funny "golllllallll" noises like Biscuits and the Boys do.

I think every week any female broadcaster on this show has to perform to a significantly higher standard than her male colleagues in order just not to get mentioned on here. Whilst a number of male broadcasters get a free pass on here, and if criticised are never gendered in that criticism.

Sandra Brown excluded, who is by any objective standard rubbish.

Wow, just wow. 

Looks like 2021 is going to be just as weird as last year then. 

If you happen to bump into Heather, tell her to find out who the scorer is first and then shout goal. It isn't difficult. 

At one point Richard Gordon had to ask her which team had scored. Nothing to do with her gender either, just rank bad reporting. 

Feel free to turn it into a bash about her gender. 

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Cheers Heather. 

Wow, just wow. 

Looks like 2021 is going to be just as weird as last year then. 

If you happen to bump into Heather, tell her to find out who the scorer is first and then shout goal. It isn't difficult. 

At one point Richard Gordon had to ask her which team had scored. Nothing to do with her gender either, just rank bad reporting. 

Feel free to turn it into a bash about her gender. 

I mean, the first line in your post was about her gender. 

The last was you referencing her gender.

Guest TheJTS98
3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

This is not an uncommon OAM issue. Lost count over the years of how many times I've heard Richard Gordon remind the reporter that we don't know which team has scored.

I get how it is an easy in-the-moment mistake for a reporter to make. But it also speaks to the amateurish level of person employed by BBC Scotland's increasingly home-spun feeling operation in football and beyond.

14 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The summmariser at Alloa is Heather Dewar. 12 years employed by BBC, has undoubtedly presented more live radio broadcasts than anybody else on the show today, besides Richard Gordon himself.

Her supposed crime today is that she took a short while to confirm one goal scorer at Alloa (due to the poor light), then took a short while to confirm the next goal (due to a number of bodies obscuring view). Or in other words, she patiently and calmly waited to confirm the salient fact of the name of the goalscorer to the listening audience rather than wildly speculating or making funny "golllllallll" noises like Biscuits and the Boys do.

I think every week any female broadcaster on this show has to perform to a significantly higher standard than her male colleagues in order just not to get mentioned on here. Whilst a number of male broadcasters get a free pass on here, and if criticised are never gendered in that criticism.

Sandra Brown excluded, who is by any objective standard rubbish.

gTTUuoa.jpg

i'm not an avid listener of sportsound, so don't hear things first hand, but this thread is 715 pages long and 700 of them are probably about how shite the male presenters are

8 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Gies peace FFS. 

Being offended is more prevalent than a certain illness currently. I cannot for the life of me work out why people want to waste their life looking for something to get uppity about. It is a  growing and tedious trend. Not sure how we move away from it as any criticism leaves you open to being labelled a  .......ist (fill in relevant letters).

9 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Being offended is more prevalent than a certain illness currently. I cannot for the life of me work out why people want to waste their life looking for something to get uppity about. It is a  growing and tedious trend. Not sure how we move away from it as any criticism leaves you open to being labelled a  .......ist (fill in relevant letters).

Agreed. 100%. 

Well done on the pile on.

It has to be admitted that the reporter from Alloa committed the cardinal sin of hesitation and there was brief periods of the anathema of silence.

However, there was the distinct impression that she was intruding into a boys club environment where the long serving members get the big gigs. I'm sure there is chromosome specific contributor out there that could offer as much to a St Johnstone game as Willie M (he's entrusted outside of his immediate comfort zone) or Pat Boner at a Celtic game (he isn't)

4 hours ago, Humphrey Plugg said:

Psyched already for Saturday Sportsound featuring Dave Cormack, Mike Mulraney, Allan Preston and obviously chief epidemiologist Willie Miller.

Don’t be shy, lads.

Of all the people that have been on the show, Richard Foster is the biggest expert of the virus. Telling someone who has been a scientist for his whole working life how to do his job was a particular highlight.