Sportsound Watch

Went to Richard Gordon at Hampden from OtB a few minutes ago.

Cosgrove "so who have you got with you today Richard?"

RG "We have Pat Bonner, and OF COURSE we need to have someone from the other side, so Neil McCann, and Willie Miller" "as the neutral" says Jane Lewis.

Because

(1) We cant offend one or other by having unequal numbers of "fans" commentating

and

(2) Its important to emphasise that the 3rd pundit IS NEUTRAL.

The pandering to these two clubs is fucking pathetic.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

RG "We have Pat Bonner, and OF COURSE we need to have someone from the other side, so Neil McCann, and Willie Miller" "as the neutral" says Jane Lewis.

Because

(1) We cant offend one or other by having unequal numbers of "fans" commentating

and

It’s so bad with those two reptilian, repulsive organisations that presenters have to explain why one of them gets mentioned before the other (as one team is drawn to have the home dressing room).

I wish they would just f**k off. 

Give them their own wee league to play each other 38 times, give the media the wankfest they crave, & leave the rest in peace.

FTH & FTT

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Because

and

I get where you're coming from because they do this for any of their league games against anyone else but for a cup final you'd expect a former player and fans' favourite from each side to be involved. 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Whilst I certainly get annoyed about all of the above sometimes I see the insipid football family pish the English are served up and I'm delighted to have pundits with agendas 

Screenshot_20230226_173700_Chrome.jpg

Reading that like it was a 9 year old writing it for his homework on who’s his idol 

Macintyre pronouncing Bojan Miovski as "Bo-Jan".

I understand commentators from the 80s /90s being bamboozled by names like Miodrag Krivokapić and Dušan Ristić but ffs it's hardly difficult to pronounce the boy's name right- "Boyan". It's one of the easiest names to pronounce and Yugoslavs and post-Yugoslavs have been playing in Scotland for nearly four deacdes now.

It should be a basic requirement of a BBC presenter that they can pronounce names from abroad correctly and indeed that they spend some time mastering them as part of well, basic respect and professionalism.

But still beyond the thick, provincial, ugly sisters-worshipping Weegie monoglot now in the chair.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

35 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I understand commentators from the 80s /90s being bamboozled by names like Miodgrag Krivokapić and Dušan Ristić but ffs it's hardly difficult to pronounce the boy's name right- "Boyan". It's one of the easiest names to pronounce and Yugoslavs and post-Yugoslavs have been playing in Scotland for nearly four deacdes now.

It should be a basic requirement of a BBC presenter that they can pronounce names from abroad correctly and indeed that they spend some time mastering them as part of well, basic respect and professionalism.

But still beyond the thick, provincial, ugly sisters-worshipping Weegie monoglot now in the chair.

Macintyre is a moron. 

I’m sure the BBC also have a team/people who provide pronunciation guides as the oft repeated story on Off The Ball (shock) about them trying to find an alternative for Rafael Scheidt. 

On 27/02/2023 at 13:41, Ivo den Bieman said:

I understand commentators from the 80s /90s being bamboozled by names like Miodrag Krivokapić and Dušan Ristić but ffs it's hardly difficult to pronounce the boy's name right- "Boyan". It's one of the easiest names to pronounce and Yugoslavs and post-Yugoslavs have been playing in Scotland for nearly four deacdes now.

It’s incredible how dumbed down Sportsound has become under the stewardship of that h*n reptile MacIntyre.

ALWAYS looking for a “News of the World” type approach, angling for a story, where there isn’t one….

And ALWAYS mega keen to say “let’s turn our attention to ‘Rangers’ “   
“We have an exclusive interview with Michael Beale”…. As Kenny reaches for the Kleenex. 

Macintyre is clearly awful but let’s not excuse too English from this. 

He’s the chief sports writer and he’s as tabloidy as anyone. He seeks to sensationalise absolutely everything without putting in any of the leg work. 

He spoke about Aberdeen after the Celtic game a few weeks ago. Yes we were shite that day and are a poor side particularly recently, but he was throwing out all the buzzwords. Rip it up and start again! Recruitment is awful! Cleaned out from top to bottom. 

Let’s be honest Tom, you ain’t watched enough of Aberdeen or done anything like the research around the recruitment necessary to form an educated opinion. You’re just spraying out shite and you’ll probably land a few ok points in amongst all the noise. 

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Macintyre is clearly awful but let’s not excuse too English from this. 

He’s the chief sports writer and he’s as tabloidy as anyone. He seeks to sensationalise absolutely everything without putting in any of the leg work. 

He spoke about Aberdeen after the Celtic game a few weeks ago. Yes we were shite that day and are a poor side particularly recently, but he was throwing out all the buzzwords. Rip it up and start again! Recruitment is awful! Cleaned out from top to bottom. 

Let’s be honest Tom, you ain’t watched enough of Aberdeen or done anything like the research around the recruitment necessary to form an educated opinion. You’re just spraying out shite and you’ll probably land a few ok points in amongst all the noise. 

My favourite (LOL) thing he does is reel off the most banal of stats as if he's just invented the wheel.

Like he'll list Aberdeen's last five results slowly and purposefully, as if he's offering us staggering insight.

"Motherwell. Lost. St Mirren. Lost. East Stirlingshire. Lost. Rangers. Lost. Hibs. Lost. So they've lost five games and that's not good."

Thanks for that, Tom.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

My favourite (LOL) thing he does is reel off the most banal of stats as if he's just invented the wheel.

Like he'll list Aberdeen's last five results slowly and purposefully, as if he's offering us staggering insight.

"Motherwell. Lost. St Mirren. Lost. East Stirlingshire. Lost. Rangers. Lost. Hibs. Lost. So they've lost five games and that's not good."

Thanks for that, Tom.

Spot on.  His favourite phrase, widely applied on a weekly basis to whichever team is struggling is "it's just not good enough" (based on, as you say, vague "research" at best).  Well, neither is your analysis, Tom, delivered in that "weary and disappointed school teacher" tone.

Edited by VictorOnopko

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Thanks for that, Tom.

Usually ends that with “there’s a malaise” 

It would be quite harsh to rename this thread something like "Sportsound (Tom English talking shite)" when his name already adorns the Terrible Journalism thread.  Harsh, but fair.