Sportsound Watch

On 07/03/2023 at 17:50, The Master said:

Poor show there's no programme tonight with such a massive game taking place in League One. 

It's nights like this that show just how much of a raw deal we get. 

listen, nobody's dead .

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Of course there will be no MOTD 2 tonight with BBC staff still in dispute but unsurprisingly Sportsound continues with live commentary of the Rangers game.

There's been radio coverage of games in England too in fairness.

Tam Courts and Kenny Miller in an actual competition to see who can actually use the words actual or actually in every single actual sentence. They can actually use it several actual times in an actual sentence actually.

Maybe they think it ads gravitas to their musings?

Kenny Miller in his punditry on the Motherwell-Ugly game referred to Sevco's weasely diving striker as 'Alfredo'.

Immediately after the game, after gritting his teeth while Crichton recounted some of the dodgy decisions that went against Motherwell (even with her beloved VAR) Da KMAC then asked Kenny M the searching question, 'What did you make of the Rangers performace today?'

Da KMAC and Miller chatting away like two orange-bedecked die-hards in a Copland Road pub.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely there's no one left who still  thinks Crichton is better than the rest?

Defending VAR.

I find her difficult to like, but post match today she was just reacting to Mcinallys rambling "yer da" moans by explaining that it got Hibs pen right, and corrected another non pen the ref gave to Celtic.

I dislike VAR, but he could barely string a sentence together - which became clear as he told us he was a Celtic ST holder.

I think Crichton talks a lot of sense (albeit I disagree with her about VAR) but she struggles to bring her comments to a conclusion. It's especially a problem when she's punditing on telly and still hasn't concluded her point as a searching cross slices into the box.

McIntyre bringing up the Cove pulled one back at Raith making the score 6-1 he then said 5 minutes later the Raith cove score was 5-1 guy is a ballon.

add the talk on Angus Gunn being carried out while the games were on going 

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely there's no one left who still  thinks Crichton is better than the rest?

Defending VAR.

She’s horrendous.

When Aberdeen had a clearly perfectly good goal disallowed at Darvel, when Clarkson was two yards ONside, she said after the game as a pundit “thank goodness we didn’t have VAR here to ruin the night”

She can GTF. 

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

All I was getting on radio Scotland earlier was coverage of the Celtic Hibs game. Have they just given up with the whole “open all mics” aspect?

I had open all mic’s although was through bbc sounds I was listening 

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

All I was getting on radio Scotland earlier was coverage of the Celtic Hibs game. Have they just given up with the whole “open all mics” aspect?

I was at a 2.30pm match and thought I would listen to it on the way home. It took a few minutes of switching between digital and FM on the car radio to work out which was 'open all mics'.

Listened to yesterdays podcast badged as a ‘review of the weekends action’. 

Nope, it was a review of the weekends refereeing decisions. And it looks like the podcast just released tonight is more of the same. 

Utter, utter pish. 

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

I respectfully disagree. It's frustrating in other countries for sure. But I haven't seen anywhere near the scale of "WTF" decisions that I've seen here in Scotland.

I can only assume you don't watch the Bundesliga, Serie A, or (the daddy of them all for VAR) the A-League.

VAR is absolutely shite. But our problems with it are far from unique. It's shite everywhere because the concept does not work in football. Our refs being shite is a separate issue, we are no worse with VAR than anyone else.

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I can only assume you don't watch the Bundesliga, Serie A, or (the daddy of them all for VAR) the A-League.

VAR is absolutely shite. But our problems with it are far from unique. It's shite everywhere because the concept does not work in football. Our refs being shite is a separate issue, we are no worse with VAR than anyone else.

Agreed. It was considered that VAR would offer complete objectivity on key decisions. However that is not the case - subjectivity is still applied in determining whether contact was sufficient to cause the player to fall etc etc. Add to that the utter confusion around what constitutes moving arm towards ball or making the body unnaturally bigger and all VAR does is offer multiple views in trying to determine someone's intentions.

The offside rule is probably better served by VAR than anything else assuming the cameras are effectively positioned but overall, subjectivity remains and if that is the case, then you do wonder what the point of VAR really is. And when it comes to our refs and being subjective, they are in a class of their own.