Sportsound Watch

Do people still listen to off the ball? 

If they’re desperate to have some output that is clickbait trolling stuff then replace off the ball with a shite phone in show like talksport or 606 on 5 live. Let them get their wee social media clicks, then let the adults listen to the stuff about football on a Saturday afternoon. 

14 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Yeah, it was dire listening.  This sort of thing didn't happen nearly as often when Richard Gordon was helming the programme, either.

And again, I was in the car for about 45 minutes and never heard the scores from anything other than the premier games.  Just about every game in the Championship had consequences for relegation and playoff places, and I'm sure the same was true in Leagues 1 and 2, but rather than spend a couple of minutes giving the final scores and what placings are confirmed, we have not even coverage on the Hibs manager debate, but also Kenny asking Tom what he thought of Mikey disagreeing with Leanne about the Hibs manager.  Typical media arseholes who think that they're the most interesting and important part of any issue.

McIntyre gave all the scores at 5.03pm, just after the news. However, he rattled through them so rapidly that it just gave the impression that he felt he had to get this inconvenient task out of the way as quickly as possible so he could get back to talking about the Celtic match. 

On 09/04/2024 at 14:29, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Those of a certain age will remember Alastair Dewar reporting on the Edinburgh games in the 70’s. He never, ever saw a good game. 

To quote The Scotsman, ‘Alistair Dewar reporting from Edinburgh was pulpit-dour even after 5-5 dra

I only heard a bit of OTB in the car. I heard the preview with McIntyre describing Willie Miller like some kind of elder statesman and role model to the other pundits. I think that tells you more about the rest than it does Willie.

49 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I only heard a bit of OTB in the car. I heard the preview with McIntyre describing Willie Miller like some kind of elder statesman and role model to the other pundits. I think that tells you more about the rest than it does Willie.

Willie Miller, to use the old Malcolm Tucker joke, is so dense that light bends around him.

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

Richard Gordon the day. Chalk and cheese.

Got it on myself, and was just thinking the same.

Adults talking about football. Not some fucking childish p***k desperately running between people trying to cause an argument.

30 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Correct.

There is something about McIntyre's 'snarly nasal tone that intensely annoys me.

Also...he may think getting his fellow pundits and commentators to argue and talk over each other is great radio but to the unfortunate listener its just an unintelligible rambling mess.  

I do not know if it was on this thread that someone , perhaps reluctantly , described Neil Lennon as a good pundit , whatever 

I was listening to the end of the Liverpool game and I was taken back . 

The commentator said Liverpool never looked like scoring and Neil disagreed with him ! There was no Sportsound histrionics , just Neil explaining his point of view !

Not often you get a gentlemanly disagreement !

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

If ever a programme showed the difference between McIntyre and Richard Gordon, it was today's. I heard the aftermath of the Ross County v Rangers game and the bulk of what I heard concentrated on County and the battle to (not) be 11th. Not a chance in hell that that happens with McIntyre at the helm.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I heard that bit. Chuckling about the new guy interrupting Miller (presumably to update the listeners about a relevant thing that has happened), and Miller 'putting him in his place, but 'politely'. Apparently, Kaseem (I think), 'won't make that mistake again'.

Arseholes.

7 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

The the's will probably blame him presenting Sportsound on them losing today. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

2 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I do not know if it was on this thread that someone , perhaps reluctantly , described Neil Lennon as a good pundit , whatever 

I was listening to the end of the Liverpool game and I was taken back . 

The commentator said Liverpool never looked like scoring and Neil disagreed with him ! There was no Sportsound histrionics , just Neil explaining his point of view !

Not often you get a gentlemanly disagreement !

Lennon is a class pundit.   Seems a good guy when he's not perma-raging as a manager.

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

The currants will probably blame him presenting Sportsound on them losing today. 

He has a Dundee supporting son so guilty by association.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If ever a programme showed the difference between McIntyre and Richard Gordon, it was today's. I heard the aftermath of the Ross County v Rangers game and the bulk of what I heard concentrated on County and the battle to (not) be 11th. Not a chance in hell that that happens with McIntyre at the helm.

It was night and day. Today was measured discussion with a proper focus on County on their big day today, the battle for survival and a lot of justified and rightful credit given to Cowie and the players. It may be because Robertson and Dodds are based up here and therefore are more knowledgeable about County but even Dodds was coherent and measured in his comments post match, well marshalled by Richard Gordon. There was some comment on Rangers too, and again it was measured without too much hyperbole.

Yesterday was the usual shambles of an Open All Mics followed by a rabble from Kenny Mac post matches and the usual Michael Stewart tedious meltdown. If Kenny Mac had been on today, it would have been 5 minutes on County if you are lucky at the end after an hour of tedious Rangers chat about inane nonsense. The handshake would have been hyped up beyond belief. The scrap for 11th would have been completely forgotten about.

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I heard that bit. Chuckling about the new guy interrupting Miller (presumably to update the listeners about a relevant thing that has happened), and Miller 'putting him in his place, but 'politely'. Apparently, Kaseem (I think), 'won't make that mistake again'.

Arseholes.

Perhaps I'm being too millennial here but Kenny Mac sounded like the sort of person who loved that type of borderline bullying type behaviour and would encourage it to knock the new guy down. An unprofessional w****r who should be nowhere near hosting the flagship national radio football programme.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Or threatening to knife his ex-partners.

There is that too.  I'm sure we have all been threatened by ex partners with a knife though 🫣

Meant to bring this up, er, three months ago but at Christmas I was listening to the Off the Ball best-of-2023 programme (yes, there really was one). The had clips from a programme where KMaC and his brother were guests. Tam seemed over-eager to defend KMaC from complaints about a Rangers supporter presenting Sportsound.

That  of course, isn't the complaint most of us would make. For me there are two 1) Too much attention to the Old Firm (not the same thing as moaning about an OF-supporting presenter. That's inevitable, and supporting an Ugly doesn't necessarily mean your presenting will be biased) 2) Tabloidy, Radio Clydey, shouty, confrontation-encouraging presenting style. Jeremy Kyle Does ScorrishFooball.