Sportsound Watch

Michael Stewart forgets that the listener hasn’t necessarily heard what he has said before, so not giving one name wasn’t clever. As usual he was being objectionable.

Plus, his use of “could of” is really poor. I can’t believe he doesn’t realise why this is wrong as he keeps saying it.

For a national broadcaster their coverage down the leagues is really poor too.

15 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Whole time I was in the car on the way back from our game they never even read the full scores out, or gave a rundown of even the big games outwith the top tier.  Maybe they went through them when we were getting out from our game, but they should give the scores in full at least once a bit later.  Did Stenny clinch their first ever title?  Did Clyde mange to get off the bottom of League 2?  Raith and Dundee Utd both winning at the top of the Championship - feck that, here's Hey Jude.  Now, I like Hey Jude.  Fine song.  Great band, the Beatles.  But come on, this is dire programming.  It's not even that I want or expect a full-length interview with Rhys McCabe, but let's get some balance here.  Every time the Championship is mentioned we get told how great a league it is, but but it's more important that we hear some weather presenter talking about some songs than giving it any actual attention.

I've also come to really resent the shallow analysis they give of the games they do cover.  Everything is about "character" and "leadership" and "signing quality players", but this menagerie of former professional footballers, managers and people who watch and talk about and write football for a living can't ever bring themselves to talk about tactics.  Tactical anaysis is just absolutely nowhere on the radar.  If a player isn't having a good season we get pop psychology about him not being happy at the club... but never anything about how the manager is using him, or how he fits/doesn't fit into a system.  Analysis of the actual games being played is so, so poor, it's all about the HIGH drama and fecking VAR.  Just lazy, lazy programming and lazy, lazy analysis.

100% agree with this.  I can't stand Off the Ball so I sometimes put 5 Live on at lunchtime on a Saturday if I am at home or in the car. despite it being about English leagues which I don't actually care much about. The analysis on there is excellent; well-balanced and enjoyable (even Mcfadden somehow isn't as bad when he is covering games down there).  They have just the right amount of stats/analysis and more general punditry. Mark Chapman is 1000 times better than Kenny Mac, and they seem equally as interested in covering the championship as the premiership, with competent reporters across the country calmly telling listeners who has just scored rather than butting in with incoherent rambles or Biscuits' ear-splitting screams.  Overall it makes Sportsound/OAM sound like amateur hour (which it is).

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wasn't listening, were they actually talking about the hate crime bill? Did anyone wonder why this was a necessary topic of discussion for a football programme?

Kenny Mac brought up the subject of McCoist's comments which opened the worm can.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Kenny Mac brought up the subject of McCoist's comments which opened the worm can.

Seems that Tom English said something on this that he’s now backtracked on at the start of today’s coverage. 

What was said?

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

Seems that Tom English said something on this that he’s now backtracked on at the start of today’s coverage. 

What was said?

He said McCoist said he'd be singing the Billy Boys. He then backtracked by saying it was an implication

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Kenny Mac would have been joining in the singing and will still be proclaiming Clemente ( trying to pronounce it in French) as a magician 

Sportsound has become a dumbed down magazine show akin to Superscoreboard.

Im sure they've done their focus groups who all agree this is what the public want.

But listening to Mikey Stewart disgreeing with whatever anyone else says is extremely tiresome and a total turn off.

Quality public broadcasting, it is not....

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Sportsound has become a dumbed down magazine show akin to Superscoreboard.

Im sure they've done their focus groups who all agree this is what the public want.

But listening to Mikey Stewart disgreeing with whatever anyone else says is extremely tiresome and a total turn off.

Quality public broadcasting, it is not....

What makes you think that?

12 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

What makes you think that?

Well, theres no other reason to tred the road they have as a public broadcaster other than management think its a good idea to boost listening figures.......

8 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Well, theres no other reason to tred the road they have as a public broadcaster other than management think its a good idea to boost listening figures.......

That's different from going through the process you mentioned. It's the BBC. They'll do what they want. 

Next Saturday 2pm.

Whorragame last Sunday at Ibrix, so many talking points after that big, big game. We'll be repeating ourselves at length with contributions from Pat 'Who are we playing today?' Bonnar and Loly Roy. Much later after we devote ten minutes to boring wee diddy teams, We'll have music; a Ranjurs fan introduces his favourite flute band anthems, and a Sellick fan recommends some top tunes celebrating cowardly terrorists.

And before then, VAR: why do the decisions always go against our beloved Old Firm? Are refs biased against Ra Berrs and Ra Bhoys?

Don't miss a minute!

I don't think they do any market research, they have no need to. They just do whatever the producer thinks is right, and clearly the current producer thinks braindead lowest common denominator junk is what they should be producing.

I doubt the budget is much to work with. Very few actually work for the BBC.  They work free-lance, presumably paid a fee. It becomes a perfect storm of retired players (in particular OF) with pretty much zero media and broadcasting skills, trotting out the same tedious cliche each week. The result is what I stopped tuning in to a good while back. 

This point has probably been done to death over the course of this thread but I listened to an almost full airing of sportsound on Saturday and it is quite the hard listen isn't it? We continuously talk about our game needing to be hyped up put in to positive light but all you get from the commentators is 'a poor game this is, nothing to see here'. It's so fucking frustrating. I guarantee these bozo's were the first ones to jump down Derek Adams' throat when he brought up the standard of the game too. 

No wonder there is no real investment or hype about our game. If they were to have one listen to these duffers whinging about everything then they would rightly run in the opposite direction.

On 06/04/2024 at 23:20, The Saintee said:

What a load of shite it was today. Half the time they didn't even know who'd scored. The penalty at Dens was an absolute shitemare.

I dip in and out (careful now) and every week hear "goooool" and after 20 secs in that commentator's company I'm none the wiser: who's playing, who scored & what is the score now.

Stewpot is becoming an irritant. Constantly interrupting and I had the "my God" count as 5 when Ricky Law was trying to remind him what he'd said previously.

Oh and if every game is a "big big game" then there's no "big big games".

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

... all you get from the commentators is 'a poor game this is, nothing to see here'. It's so fucking frustrating....

See Willie "there's nothing much happening here" Miller.

Every single game I've heard him cover.