Sportsound Watch

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

His general commentary is alright. Problem is whenever there's a significant goal or the full time whistle goes he immediately goes into soundbyte mode and goes well over the top.

Can see the logic in doing it if it was a significant game but doing it every week just makes it sound incredibly fake and does his commentary a disservice.

My point was that he is no Celtic supporter and does not favour Celtic. His commentary is often over the top with whichever teams are playing. Because Celtic are on the radio most often, and they score the most goals, it just seems that he has a Celtic bias, but he quite obviously doesn’t, and to try to argue any differently is not really that clever.

On 05/04/2018 at 13:45, Rodhull said:

His general commentary is alright. Problem is whenever there's a significant goal or the full time whistle goes he immediately goes into soundbyte mode and goes well over the top.

Can see the logic in doing it if it was a significant game but doing it every week just makes it sound incredibly fake and does his commentary a disservice.

His general commentary isn't remotely alright.  He sounds like a robot programmed to emulate a football commentator, but who is still in the early prototype stages.

Edited by craigkillie

I find it a bit much that people are going on about Liam McLeod being a bit pish when we have the likes of Bonner regularly co-commentating on games where he knows about 3 of the players names.

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

My point was that he is no Celtic supporter and does not favour Celtic. His commentary is often over the top with whichever teams are playing. Because Celtic are on the radio most often, and they score the most goals, it just seems that he has a Celtic bias, but he quite obviously doesn’t, and to try to argue any differently is not really that clever.

Never particularly thought he had a Celtic bias either and wasn't trying to argue with that point if that's how it came across.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I find it a bit much that people are going on about Liam McLeod being a bit pish when we have the likes of Bonner regularly co-commentating on games where he knows about 3 of the players names.

Fortunately I almost never listen to Sportsound, so my experience of Bonner is limited.  McLeod is all over the Sportscene highlights and live BBC games.

Speaking of shite commentators, the one who does the Scottish games on Sky is by far the worst IMO .  The relief when Rangers score or equalise is quite clear in his voice.

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Speaking of shite commentators, the one who does the Scottish games on Sky is by far the worst IMO .  The relief when Rangers score or equalise is quite clear in his voice.

Ian Crocker. He’s been covering Scottish football for years with Sky, then Setanta and now Sky again.

In fairness, he’s one of the few English commentators who genuinely gives a damn about football up here (as opposed to only doing so because he’s paid to). I’d say he’s also better than Liam McLeod and Rory Hamilton. But Derek Rae was the best by miles; it’s a shame he went back to the USA.

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

Ian Crocker. He’s been covering Scottish football for years with Sky, then Setanta and now Sky again.

In fairness, he’s one of the few English commentators who genuinely gives a damn about football up here (as opposed to only doing so because he’s paid to). I’d say he’s also better than Liam McLeod and Rory Hamilton. But Derek Rae was the best by miles; it’s a shame he went back to the USA.

Can’t agree with that. Crocker never misses a chance to take the p*ss out of Scottish football during his commentaries.

Liam sounds like he’s on the front row of a Roller Coaster at the end of a game when he’s giving his match review and talking points. It’s cringeworthy. Even when it’s a nil-nil bore fest he manages to make it sound like Scotland just won the World Cup.

I don’t mind him though. I agree there is much worse. Bonner, G Smith, Chick, Preston and Rae are all terrible. All just horrific. Miller is ok, he’s mediocre, but an Aberdeen legend and they need a voice so he’s it. I don’t dislike him other than sometimes he can be a real dick toward other teams. He needs to learn to be a little more even when discussing clubs and games.

Being slightly bias I like Ian McCall. He’s got good experience with playing and managing several diddy clubs, knows the Scottish game and he’s not an arrogant prat. At least he isn’t in my eyes. Sadly Michael Stewart for me initially I liked but his arrogance “I know more than you do”, smug, put you down, approach is becoming too much for me. Plus he loves to try and tie in politics which I want none of. Football should be free of that shite. He’s a condescending twat but he seems quite knowledgeable. If he cut the ego out he’d be ok. Not sure where he gets the arrogance as he wasn’t that good a player.

Daryl “always stick up for the SFA” Broadfoot is also interesting. He seems bright and I don’t dislike home outside his constant appeasement of the powers at Hampden.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Fortunately I almost never listen to Sportsound, so my experience of Bonner is limited.

Lucky b*****d.

It's probably an accurate assumption to make that aside from Celtic, he knows the name of about 1 player per team on average. Everyone else is just "the Kilmarnock fullback" or "the young lad". And whilst he knows all the Celtic players, his pronunciations are abysmal. I don't think he's ever said Simunovic's name the same way twice. It's a complete embarrassment.

I dont mind Liam Macleod,he does go OTT at times but would rather have him over those who commentate rather passively. 

I'd agree with that, someone getting over excited is better than someone who monotonaly reports on the game like Rob MacLaen.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

He’s up there with the worst voices in Scottish fitba. Not a good trait for a commentator.

There seems to be loads of commentators or pundits with either awful voices or terrible habits in Scottish football. Obviously Liam McLeod and his pitched squeals, Ian Crocker permanently sounding like he's whining, Craig Paterson reading from the book of shite cliches, Paul Mitchell saying that everything in a game is "brulliant". Then you've got the ones that need no explanation like Chick Young, Pat Bonner and "Biscuits". I'm probably forgetting loads as well. Our media is littered with shite.