The Arbroath Thread

Right up until last Saturday I was happy to go with the official line  "happy to finish above the bottom 2"

When we went 2 down v Dunfermline however, there was just an inner calm about the players, manager and supporters that said to me - no panic, we've got this. I honestly believed we'd take something out the match. 

I think if we keep playing like this we can challenge for the play offs (the good ones !)

20 hours ago, stan3600 said:

One point nearer the top.

..or nearer the 40 point mark which should ensure survival (the sainted Dick’s stated goal).  We looked a notch or two above Accies yesterday so, loans/injuries permitting, looking to reassert our Championship status for next season.  Carving out a draw when it looked like our superior play would remain unrewarded, was both gratifying and frustrating.

10 hours ago, Smokerson said:

For those who say loan players don’t give a fack, you only need to look at Chris Hamilton’s reaction in the goal celebration and the general way big Nouble acts on and off the pitch. Great to see

Exactly what I was thinking 🇱🇻⚽💪 You just love to see it 🤩 DC on the sacked in the morning podcast said he was confident of signing Chris at the end of his loan spell which would be a fantastic addition to the squad and an incredible backup/replacement for JT

11 hours ago, Smokerson said:

For those who say loan players don’t give a fack, you only need to look at Chris Hamilton’s reaction in the goal celebration and the general way big Nouble acts on and off the pitch. Great to see

Is that still a thing? Think loan players of recent times have all been well liked and highly rated, never really seen any accusations of them not caring 

Agree we should sign Chris Hamilton it the option is there. Can be part of the new younger crop of steady guys 

Chris Hamilton should be the right back for the foreseeable future been brilliant for us. Hope DC isn't going to chop and change didn't drop Goldie until he was suspended so until Chris does something to merit being dropped i.e. suspension injury etc. he should have the jersey.

When was the last time Arbroath spent reasonable money on a transfer fee ?

I vaguely remember spending something like 20k on Jimmy Bone in the 70s. In current terms that's crazy money !!

Just Googled, that's about £90k nowadays.

Edited by DUAFC

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is that still a thing? Think loan players of recent times have all been well liked and highly rated, never really seen any accusations of them not caring 

Agree we should sign Chris Hamilton it the option is there. Can be part of the new younger crop of steady guys 

Dick said on the Sacked in the morning podcast, if Chris Hamilton is freed by Hearts at the end of the season, he will be offering him a contract

20 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

but he would probably hope that a full time club would sign him.  

Or he might think I'm still young enough to get a trade or go to college, and still play at a good level and earn decent money.

12 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Or he might think I'm still young enough to get a trade or go to college, and still play at a good level and earn decent money.

Exactly.

Shay Logan was very clever. I believe he trained as a plumber when he was still at Aberdeen and now he’s at Cove he’ll probably be earning as much as he did Full-time.

How many full-time teams in Scotland pay what would be generally considered to be a good wage? Top flight + a handful in the championship? Probably not even that. After that I reckon most young players would be better off playing part-time and having a full-time job away from football.

I’m sure there are young lads who love being a full-time pro and, in theory, they should be fitter and better coached but you would think the more intelligent ones can see that it’s not really a long-term viable option.

I’m surprised so many clubs persist with being full-time. Part-time or a hybrid model is surely the way forward for clubs outwith the Premiership.

22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Exactly.

Shay Logan was very clever. I believe he trained as a plumber when he was still at Aberdeen and now he’s at Cove he’ll probably be earning as much as he did Full-time.

How many full-time teams in Scotland pay what would be generally considered to be a good wage? Top flight + a handful in the championship? Probably not even that. After that I reckon most young players would be better off playing part-time and having a full-time job away from football.

I’m sure there are young lads who love being a full-time pro and, in theory, they should be fitter and better coached but you would think the more intelligent ones can see that it’s not really a long-term viable option.

I’m surprised so many clubs persist with being full-time. Part-time or a hybrid model is surely the way forward for clubs outwith the Premiership.

Part-time football and full time work is a pushing a 60 hour week,  

Full-time probably 15,  | wonder why that's more appealing even if a bit less well off?

The 'more intelligent ones' are probably the ones who can make a decent career out side of football.  There's large amounts that gave up on education the moment they got a a full time pro-youth contract(on virtually no wages) their ego takes over and they start dreaming of making it big.

Even if that doesn't happen if you can keep yourself FT for 15 years that's 15 years avoiding the real world grind. End up becoming a coach or manager that can turn into your full working life.  Loads of appeal.

Full time clubs are loathed to give up their position,  occasionally one will go hybrid but these don't last, managers hate them.  I can only think of clyde  and airdrie(who have gone back FT) who gave it up completely and that didn't exactly help them.

It's a real struggle to stay at this level long term PT,  those that can afford FT nearly always do, it works.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Part-time football and full time work is a pushing a 60 hour week,  

Full-time probably 15,  | wonder why that's more appealing even if a bit less well off?

The 'more intelligent ones' are probably the ones who can make a decent career out side of football.  There's large amounts that gave up on education the moment they got a a full time pro-youth contract(on virtually no wages) their ego takes over and they start dreaming of making it big.

Even if that doesn't happen if you can keep yourself FT for 15 years that's 15 years avoiding the real world grind. End up becoming a coach or manager that can turn into your full working life.  Loads of appeal.

Full time clubs are loathed to give up their position,  occasionally one will go hybrid but these don't last, managers hate them.  I can only think of clyde  and airdrie(who have gone back FT) who gave it up completely and that didn't exactly help them.

It's a real struggle to stay at this level long term PT,  those that can afford FT nearly always do, it works.

PT football is completely different in terms of the levels of professionalism compared to even just 10 year ago though... games changing. Of course Dunfermline etc should be and will be better off FT. More your Mortons/Ayr/QotS/Airdrie etc

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

PT football is completely different in terms of the levels of professionalism compared to even just 10 year ago though... games changing. Of course Dunfermline etc should be and will be better off FT. More your Mortons/Ayr/QotS/Airdrie etc

PT is certainly becoming more professional,  FT is as well tbf,  but has less room to grow and the gap is closing. There should always be a gap tho.

Ayr only fairly recently went FT,  and it was a move that has seen there best success.

Qots going FT basically secured there future as a regular tier 2 side.

Other than cost I'm not sure what benefit PT has, there will be a few players who'll be unlikely to go FT but the majority prefer it.  Take the Ayr going FT thing,  very few rejected it.   

If morton went PT for example are they going to attract better players? Doubtful, being FT just allows them longer to work with the current group.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

PT is certainly becoming more professional,  FT is as well tbf,  but has less room to grow and the gap is closing. There should always be a gap tho.

Ayr only fairly recently went FT,  and it was a move that has seen there best success.

Qots going FT basically secured there future as a regular tier 2 side.

Other than cost I'm not sure what benefit PT has, there will be a few players who'll be unlikely to go FT but the majority prefer it.  Take the Ayr going FT thing,  very few rejected it.   

If morton went PT for example are they going to attract better players? Doubtful, being FT just allows them longer to work with the current group.

For younger players I don’t doubt the majority do prefer it. But only recently has PT become as professional it is at the moment so give it another 10 years and see what happens. For guys mid to late 20s and early 30s part time has all sorts of advantages over playing for a lower FT club. Being able to build a career away from football to help when they’ve retired whilst also being paid a lot more money combining two jobs. Just depends on the individual. 

Be interesting to see what happens to be honest. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie