The Arbroath Thread

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Course Scottish clubs are well supported. I love Scottish football. But Dundee United too maybe wouldn’t have even had the opportunity of playing in Europe if they were playing in the English leagues. They are one of the biggest clubs up here and they’d be nowhere near one of the biggest clubs down south 

What a bizarre argument. You play football in your country it’s not a choice*. Did Belgian teams only win in Europe because if they were in France or Germany they wouldn’t even get into the competition? Anderlecht, standard Liege, Brugge etc would be tiny in either of those countries but that doesn’t belittle their achievements. Would Wrexham or Swansea and Cardiff for that matter, have glorious European histories if they had to play in Wales (*which they should imo) and thus the opportunity of playing in Europe every year?

52 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Course Scottish clubs are well supported. I love Scottish football. But Dundee United too maybe wouldn’t have even had the opportunity of playing in Europe if they were playing in the English leagues. They are one of the biggest clubs up here and they’d be nowhere near one of the biggest clubs down south 

Wrexham regularly played in Europe from the 70s to the 90s as Welsh representatives and almost always lost in the 1st or 2nd Round.

Arbroath vs Hibernian – Sunday 13th February 2022 – 12.30pm kick off – Tickets now on sale

We are delighted to announce that tickets for our Scottish Cup 5th round match against Hibernian at Gayfield on Sunday 13th February with a 12.30pm kick off are now on sale.

Due to this being a cup match season tickets are not valid for ground entry as the gate is shared with Hibernian.

Please also note that because this match is being shown live on BBC One Scotland we are not permitted to stream the game on arbroathfc.tv

Scottish Cup 5th Round Prices

£20 – Adult (Over 18)
£14 – Concessions (Over 65, Students, Juvenile, Disabled with Carer – Carer does not need to purchase a ticket)
£23 – Parent and Child (U12)
£25 – Parent and 2 Children (U12)

If you would like to book an ambulant space please email office@arbroathfc.co.uk

There will be NO cash gates on match day, so supporters must buy their tickets online.

PLEASE NOTE for this match only Arbroath supporters will occupy the Harbour end of Gayfield, whilst Hibernian will occupy the Pleasureland end of Gayfield.

With a large crowd expected and after consulting with Police Scotland it was felt reversing the normal segregation arrangement for this match was deemed necessary.

Arbroath Supporters can buy their tickets here
https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/match-day-tickets

Hibernian Supporters can buy their tickets here
https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/away-tickets

When you purchase your ticket you will have the option to save it / print it in PDF format right away, but a copy will also be emailed to you.

Please check your junk / email folders if you don’t receive your email with your ticket as an attachment within a minute of purchasing it.

If you encounter any problems please email office@arbroathfc.co.uk

On match day please either have your ticket printed out, or saved on to your phone with your contrast fully up for our scanners to read the code.

Thank you

C’mon the Lichties

Arbroath vs Hibernian.jpg

27 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

What a bizarre argument. You play football in your country it’s not a choice*. Did Belgian teams only win in Europe because if they were in France or Germany they wouldn’t even get into the competition? Anderlecht, standard Liege, Brugge etc would be tiny in either of those countries but that doesn’t belittle their achievements. Would Wrexham or Swansea and Cardiff for that matter, have glorious European histories if they had to play in Wales (*which they should imo) and thus the opportunity of playing in Europe every year?

First of all I’m not arguing. And secondly I’ve no idea about Belgian teams or French teams I’m saying Dundee United probably wouldn’t have even played in Europe if they played in the English leagues. All I have said is the English 5th tier is a good standard with some very big clubs in the league. 

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

First of all I’m not arguing. And secondly I’ve no idea about Belgian teams or French teams I’m saying Dundee United probably wouldn’t have even played in Europe if they played in the English leagues. All I have said is the English 5th tier is a good standard with some very big clubs in the league. 

But why would they play in England? The Belgian comparison is valid because you’re saying Scottish teams only had European success because they play in Scotland. So any team with European success from a small country aren’t as valid as teams from the “big boys leagues”?

Going back to Wrexham in particular. Wrexham is about the size of Inverness and you can argue that their very minor comparative successes, history and bigger crowds than Dundee is ONLY because they play in England. If they played in the Welsh league, they’d get about 500 a week. I reckon Swansea, Cardiff and Newport would also be Uber diddies if it wasn’t for sucking on the EFL teat.

Edited by Tattie36

58 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

But why would they play in England? The Belgian comparison is valid because you’re saying Scottish teams only had European success because they play in Scotland. So any team with European success from a small country aren’t as valid as teams from the “big boys leagues”?

Going back to Wrexham in particular. Wrexham is about the size of Inverness and you can argue that their very minor comparative successes, history and bigger crowds than Dundee is ONLY because they play in England. If they played in the Welsh league, they’d get about 500 a week. I reckon Swansea, Cardiff and Newport would also be Uber diddies if it wasn’t for sucking on the EFL teat.

Oh my god... ffs 😂 and yeah I’m sure it’s the fact they’re playing teams like Aldershot and Maidenhead United is why they’re getting 8k plus at games. So very glamorous 

Anyway moving on..

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Oh my god... ffs 😂 and yeah I’m sure it’s the fact they’re playing teams like Aldershot and Maidenhead United is why they’re getting 8k plus at games. So very glamorous 

Anyway moving on..

This season is the first time Wrexham have averaged anything near 8k - normally 3-4.5k is their season average. Might have something to do with challenging to get into the league, the holy grail for teams as it opens up huge financial gain… oh and also daft wee lassies hoping to see Ryan Whats his face and some other actor who have put money into the club.

Still no matter what, to claim that a perennial non league team known for Holwood actors and wee Micky Thomas scoring a goal about 40 years ago are bigger than Dundee or Dundee united is mental.

😆🙄

Anyway, moving on….

Edited by Tattie36

Just now, Tattie36 said:

This season is the first time Wrexham have averaged anything near 8k - normally 3-4.5k is their season average. Might have something to do with challenging to get into the league, the holy grail for teams as it opens up huge financial gain… oh and also daft wee lassies hoping to see Ryan Gosling and some other actor who have put money into the club.

Still no matter what, to claim that a perennial non league team known for Holwood actors and wee Micky Thomas scoring a goal about 40 years ago are bigger than Dundee or Dundee united is mental.

😆🙄

Anyway, moving on….

Definitely up this year.

4K last year. 5k year before that. 4.6k year before that. 4K year before that. 4.6k year before that. Still better or similar crowds than Dundee and a better stadium. You’ve managed to go way OTT to a simple point as per, that the English 5th tier is still a good standard with a lot of big clubs (in Scottish terms). Which is true. 

Personally I don't give a toss whether Aldershot  or Wrexham or any club in some strange named league in England get big or small crowds. Seems like a lot of arguing for the sake of it. But going by the sheer number of professional clubs in these leagues there are sure to be a scattering of players who would not look out of place in our top league.

In Sam Ford's case, he will either turn out to be a good signing for us or a bad signing. We need to give him a chance and hope it's the former. If that is turns out to be the case it would be good if he stayed next season. If it's the latter it will be thank you and goodbye, we will just have to wait and see. In the meantime let's make him feel welcome and give him our encouragement and support.

Anyone have crowd statistics for Throuttur Reykjavik and are they bigger as a club than Dundee/ Dundee Utd/ St. Mirren/ Ross Conty, etc?

All the crap that's going on with Raith right now Dick Campbell must be rubbing his hands and thinking happy days.For me a 2 horse race for the league now Kilmarnock and obviously you lot.I think RR might collapse a bit in the coming weeks with all that's going on.

14 minutes ago, mo83 said:

All the crap that's going on with Raith right now Dick Campbell must be rubbing his hands and thinking happy days.For me a 2 horse race for the league now Kilmarnock and obviously you lot.I think RR might collapse a bit in the coming weeks with all that's going on.

Both us and yourselves are so fortunate at the moment to be ran by, not just competent individuals but also decent people with the genuine interest of the club, community and fans at heart. When you look at clubs like Falkirk, Dunfermline and now Raith it really brings in to focus just how lucky we are.

I take no joy in Raith’s situation, even though they have become our default rivals for the last few years, due to a certain bunch o diddies fae up the road nae getting their fingers oot 😉 The vast majority of their fans and I’m sure a fair few of those involved with running the club, are good people. They don’t deserve this and I hope they get out the other end in as good a place as they can.

Not a clue how much this is going to effect Raith because I really can’t see them going ahead with Goodwillie right here and now with the way today has gone. You’d imagine it would have some impact but there still a good team and squad so how it’ll affect results on Park If at all will need to wait and see. 

Not a clue how much this is going to effect Raith because I really can’t see them going ahead with Goodwillie right here and now with the way today has gone. You’d imagine it would have some impact but there still a good team and squad so how it’ll affect results on Park If at all will need to wait and see. 
You not seen the statement then?

9 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:
16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You not seen the statement then?

Just did 

scrap that 😂

What are they upto. Jesus Christ