The Arbroath Thread

Massive jump for him but Dick must see someting to offer him a deal. I think Nouble had a bit more of a pedigree so not really fair to compare them but looks like he knows how to pit the baa in the net so why not, I imagine he'll be cheap.

Edited by Tattie36

Massive jump for him but Dick must see someting to offer him a deal. I think Nouble had much more of a pedigree so not really fair to compare them but looks like he knows how to pit the baa in the net so why not, I imagine he'll be cheap.

Nouble didn’t have much pedigree - he last played for Aldershot in the English 5th tier. Joel dumped by Chelsea at 14. Sam got further at West Ham. If he’s half as effective as Joel he’ll be good.

7 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Nouble didn’t have much pedigree - he last played for Aldershot in the English 5th tier. Joel dumped by Chelsea at 14. Sam got further at West Ham. If he’s half as effective as Joel he’ll be good.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Could we hit gold again? Exciting signing.

Edited by Tattie36

Been on trial for a few weeks now and has impressed Dick ehich says a lot really. He doesnt sign players for the fun of it.

Not too disimilar background from Nouble. On the books at youth level at a Premier League club. Got released like most youth players and has moved from club to club in the lower leagues.

Only difference is he took the chance to play abroad for a few clubs which shows a willingness to test himself outside of the normal enviroment he would be use too.

14 games to go and we may only ser him a handful of times. But you never know. He could a great find.... or another Joe Prince Wright.

We have a very attacking squad - Hamilton, Wighton, Ford, McKenna, Linn, Donnelly, Hilson. Plenty of goals from the defence and other midfielders too. Dick's definitely going for it.

ETA - could this be Hilson on his way out?

Edited by Tattie36

3 hours ago, stan3600 said:

English 5th tier is a very decent level by the way, some very big clubs playing in there. 

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:

Not Aldershot, trust me. I have a mate who supports them and suffers.

What football fan doesn’t? But yeah even they get average gates of 2k. Wrexham in the league, 8k, would be the 6th biggest club in Scotland. Then a whole load of bigger clubs getting average gates of 5-6k. It’s a really good standard in Scottish terms.

Felixstowe or wherever Ford come from not up to that level, from what I understand he’s the league below the Isthmian Premier, Isthmian Premier is the league below the National League South, and the National League South is the league below the 5th Tier or English conference. So Nouble was playing at a much higher level.

No idea what to expect from Ford but it’s another body in the door. DC still got all of Feb to find cover in other areas through loans

Of course Ford’s last club was at a lower level. I don’t know about his clubs in Australia, Slovakia or Iceland. A crowd of 2,000 for Aldershot does not make them Scottish Championship standard - nor does a crowd of 8,000 for Wrexham. If we went on crowds Newcastle would be good.

3 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Of course Ford’s last club was at a lower level. I don’t know about his clubs in Australia, Slovakia or Iceland. A crowd of 2,000 for Aldershot does not make them Scottish Championship standard - nor does a crowd of 8,000 for Wrexham. If we went on crowds Newcastle would be good.

There’s much more to the EPL than crowd money though... in the rest of the leagues not so much. Aldershot and especially the bigger clubs would easily be Scottish Championship standard. They’re big full time football clubs. Obviously going to be better than clubs like Cove, Airdrie, Montrose etc. English leagues on a whole different level, England is 10 times the size.

They’re small full time football clubs. Interesting discussion that will never be resolved - how do Scottish leagues compare with English leagues? I don’t think it’s a straight comparison of crowds and money. I’d put my money on Arbroath beating Aldershot any day

3 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

They’re small full time football clubs. Interesting discussion that will never be resolved - how do Scottish leagues compare with English leagues? I don’t think it’s a straight comparison of crowds and money. I’d put my money on Arbroath beating Aldershot any day

How could you call Wrexham or Notts County a small club? They’re probably bigger than Dundee and Dundee United. And I would too by the way but us beating full time clubs is the norm now min

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hahaha, no they are not, not by any measure at all.

Well by what measure? Stadiums and fanbase wise both bigger than Dundee. You can’t really compare anything else because they’re in a different football pyramid. But a club with average gates of 8k or 6k would more than likely be in the Scottish top flight? 

But without detailing the thread too much I suppose my main point was that the 5th tier in England is still a good level. Some massive clubs in the 4th tier and the 3rd is just ridiculous with some of the clubs in that. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How could you call Wrexham or Notts County a small club? They’re probably bigger than Dundee and Dundee United. And I would too by the way but us beating full time clubs is the norm now min

Come on now. Notts County and Wrexham both have fine histories, being two of the oldest clubs in world football. Having said that, Wrexham have been out of the top 4 leagues for decades and I don’t remember either of them being in the European Cup semi-final, as both Dundee teams have been, or in the UEFA cup final like Utd or, indeed beating Barca etc. Dundee united were a defacto big name in European fitba in the 80s. Notts County and Wrexham may have larger crowds at the moment but you’re comparing apples and oranges and I’m quite confident that the Dundee clubs would pump them fairly comfortably. Scottish teams are incredibly well supported, especially considering the monopoly the OF have over the game up here. 

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

Come on now. Notts County and Wrexham both have fine histories, being two of the oldest clubs in world football. Having said that, Wrexham have been out of the top 4 leagues for decades and I don’t remember either of them being in the European Cup semi-final, as both Dundee teams have been, or in the UEFA cup final like Utd or, indeed beating Barca etc. Dundee united were a defacto big name in European fitba in the 80s. Notts County and Wrexham may have larger crowds at the moment but you’re comparing apples and oranges and I’m quite confident that the Dundee clubs would pump them fairly comfortably. Scottish teams are incredibly well supported, especially considering the monopoly the OF have over the game up here. 

Course Scottish clubs are well supported. I love Scottish football. But Dundee United too maybe wouldn’t have even had the opportunity of playing in Europe if they were playing in the English leagues. They are one of the biggest clubs up here and they’d be nowhere near one of the biggest clubs down south