The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Dick must be hanging on to pick up a bargain at 11pm when the English window closes and the Scottish one is still open. emoji52.png

Very surprised that we haven’t strengthened the squad, especially with the new 5 subs rule and putting Paterson back out on loan. Leaves us with a very small squad- a few injuries, illness or Covid and we would be very exposed.

Very surprised that we haven’t strengthened the squad, especially with the new 5 subs rule and putting Paterson back out on loan. Leaves us with a very small squad- a few injuries, illness or Covid and we would be very exposed.
We still have the option to loan playets next month. But even then i dont see us looking to have anymore than 20 players as Dick likes having a small squad. Easier to keep players happy that way.

The sub ruling just makes it easier for him to keep others happy but known Dick he will probably wont use all 5 subs.

5 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We still have the option to loan playets next month. But even then i dont see us looking to have anymore than 20 players as Dick likes having a small squad. Easier to keep players happy that way.

The sub ruling just makes it easier for him to keep others happy but known Dick he will probably wont use all 5 subs.

I agree that a small, close knit squad is a strength and that 20 is a good number… but I think we’re sitting on a squad of 18 at the moment. Some teams will have more than that on the bench on match day.

This 5 subs thing is going to have a fair impact with teams using tactical substitutions more so I don’t think we can dismiss it. You could be playing a team like Killie who decide to switch out half their entire outfield players with 20 minutes to go, all for quality replacements with fresh legs.

49 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Haven’t strengthened? Wighton and Hamilton just fringe players aye? 

No concerns over the squad whatsover, we are top which tells you so we have been the best team in the league over 22 games which is absolutely staggering. Nouble and Dowds have been replaced and we basically have 2 players for every position. That said, I could probably see one more coming in today, DC has reiterated a number of times that its tricky to get better players than what we have so again a loan would seem more realistic or he can pull a rabbit out the hat.

55 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Haven’t strengthened? Wighton and Hamilton just fringe players aye? 

Strengthened as in numbers. I think our signings so far have been brilliant, we just need another couple to add a little bit more strength in depth.

We have a really strong squad and are the best team in the league with the best record, sitting proudly top of the league and only a few weeks ago brought in two exceptionally good loan signings.

Last week Dick said he had been in talks with two other players but that the deals might not happen - he also said he is very happy with the squad we have and any incoming player would need to be an upgrade on what we have ( which won't be easy by any standards).

29 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Hope this is a ‘cant win anything with kids’ comment but i dont see how we can push for the title with squad of 18, hopefully get a couple in before the end of the day

Agree. I think it’s naïve and wishful thinking in the extreme to think that we can get to the end of the season without injury/Covid/suspension having an impact on our squad. We’ve had all of these this season already and now with a smaller squad and the 5 sub rule it could be even more of an issue.

The last time we played Killie at home we lost Low for over 3 months and Nouble for a couple of games.

Or we could end up with a bench like v Morton in December.

There is no question that our squad is good enough but there’s no doubt in my mind that we need 1 or 2 more just to keep the numbers up to a decent level.