The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Are you sure about that? 

Physical access is definitely included on the season ticket and there appear to be no exceptions listed for the streaming of the play-off matches 

https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/half-price-sale/

Your season ticket will give you access to our remaining Home Championship matches, any play-off matches and of course full access to Arbroath FC TV (streaming is not included for the Junior / Arbroath FC Community Trust Season Ticket) and 10% discount on everything in the Club Shop.

I'm absolutely certain. I suggest you check rule C26B of the SPFL rules which expressly forbids use of season tickets in the Premiership playoffs (not forbidden in the lower division ones so Arbroath can be forgiven if they havent realised). 

And since I went to check the rule number there I also see rule C26-3 confirms you cant give streams to season ticket holders in the Premiership playoffs either.

If you end up in the Premiership playoffs (you certainly wont be in the relegation one now) then you wont be using season tickets regardless of what Arbroath's intended conditions were. 

(You could I suppose 'do a Rangers' and let season ticket holders in free whilst paying for them to the League at the club's cost. Thats a mental approach which would wipe out most if not all of the profits of playing in them, but it could be done.)

3 hours ago, Luddite said:

I was able to stream the Darvel game for 13 quid.  

You shouldnt have been. Permission was only granted for domestic streaming. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We're neither propped up by external investment, nor riddled with debt. Don't let that stop you making sweeping generalisations though.

And notwithstanding a wonderful season for you, lets not pretend Arbroath are not also "circling the drain" pretty much every other season you're at this level, including just last season when you secured survival with a week to spare. You're getting a wee bit carried away here. It's been a wonderful few years for Arbroath and hopefully will continue to be but smug's not a good look.

I mean 'circling the drain' in terms of survival both on and off the park, mainly off it. Queen's, from an outside view, seem to have incurred quite a few heavy 6 figure losses in the past 10 years, which would have been more/ recorded in other years as well if it wasn't for some big cup runs. The last few years seem to have been managed much better and the artificial pitch/ ice arena and the additional revenue enables you to increase expenditure and for that to be viable. If that is the case, which all reports point towards, then that's the sort of example we should be following and this is what I'm getting at in other posts, not smugly sneering at as you seem to think.....

Out of interest, how was the pitch/ QotS arena stuff funded, was it mainly grant funding and the rest investment the club knew they'd get a fairly quick return on?

Surely you're in a better position breaking even/ reporting a profit, with a huge part of that being due to investment in facilities/ other revenue streams over the past few years, rather than pissing money away on 1 year full time contracts for 'name' players and hoping for a cup run/ good cup draw to paper over the problems? The year to year revenue is up, and sell on fee's/ cup runs/ unexpected prize money etc become a bonus as opposed to a necessity?

All kind of seems to pale in comparison when you've reported a 700k + profit pre-tax last week :lol: COVID times obviously rather difficult to compare to previous financial years etc of course but still......

Edit - Maybe fair to say that QotS 'circling the drain' would be fair for pre 2016/2017ish but since then investment in infrastructure/ better budgeting has put you on a much more solid financial footing?

Edited by SimonLichtie

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We're neither propped up by external investment, nor riddled with debt. Don't let that stop you making sweeping generalisations though.

And notwithstanding a wonderful season for you, lets not pretend Arbroath are not also "circling the drain" pretty much every other season you're at this level, including just last season when you secured survival with a week to spare. You're getting a wee bit carried away here. It's been a wonderful few years for Arbroath and hopefully will continue to be but smug's not a good look.

It is a  basic fact of life the ‘form’ of football clubs is ephemeral and their fortunes precarious (recent Championship sides such as Cowden, Brechin; look at the former English Premier teams in their third and fourth tiers).  Arbroath finished second bottom of the 42 clubs six years ago and scraped survival last season so I doubt one exceptional season would change the perspective of most fans.   More difficult times are likely ahead as normal service resumes - ageing management team, loss or ageing of key players/team, simply a bad run of games in a small league.(eg teams finding ways to counteract, etc….. and all adversely affecting crowds, income etc)

….but as I’ve followed it, this discussion has been primarily about ways of establishing a more sustainable model to try and consolidate progress made.   The possibility of a fulltime setup - following every club in this league - is a decent talking point prompted by the current exceptional season but the vast majority here has ruled that out but it’s been interesting to see the case pro and con outlined.   Lovely to speculate about the possibility of attaining the SPFL (like a pile of other midranking clubs that have played in the top tier Clydebank, Morton, Ayr , Falkirk etc ..and even Arbroath in the 70s pre reorganisation) - don’t think this approaches smugness…. But the moment we start swallowing the hype, hubris.

Lichties must enjoy this rare moment in the sun while it lasts.  Maybe repairing the roof and investing in quality sun protection to seek to extend it, in the process.

Edited by Farflung

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:
6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
You shouldnt have been. Permission was only granted for domestic streaming. 

I think it was only restricted for people living in England.

38 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

That’s correct. Streaming only blocked from ENGLAND for 3pm Saturday kick off games due to FA rules. Other countries ok.

Actually you may be correct. Apologies. I've just checked Round 3 and it did only block streaming to England. We weren't in Round 4 but someone from another club told me that it wasn't allowed to stream outside Scotland for it. As we weren't in it I haven't actually seen the instructions from the SFA for it and it's possible they were different as the tv contract is different once you hit round 4. But it's also possible it was exactly the same.

Just to be clear though, the blanket block from streaming into England is a UEFA rule and applies to all football on Saturday afternoons from 2:45pm on specific dates. It doesn't necessarily mean there are not additional commercial restrictions on streaming the Scottish Cup depending on what the tv contract says.

According to Hibs fans there are no trains from Edinburgh to Arbroath on that day due to railwork ( I can't verify that and they could be wrong) but if this was the case, it might affect away ticket sales.
Would not surprise me in the slightest.

13 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

According to Hibs fans there are no trains from Edinburgh to Arbroath on that day due to railwork ( I can't verify that and they could be wrong) but if this was the case, it might affect away ticket sales.

Trains to Dundee then replacement bus from there.

National Rail Enquiries

This decision will have a big impact on the attendance.

Supposedly no trains from Edinburgh to Arbroath that day, terminate in Dundee. Are trains from the north similarly impacted? If so then I, and I’m sure others, will have to change plans

Sunday tends to not be a good day for fitba for many people for various reasons.

Fans less likely to make a day of it for the aforementioned.

Live on TV.

Time of year, likely to be cold, possibly windy and wet.

Season tickets not valid.

All of this combined means I think we’ll be lucky to get 3k to a game where it would have been around 5k normally.

6 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Likely to be cold, possibly windy & wet. If that put people off attending gayfield we would have went bust years ago emoji23.pngemoji23.png KO being moved not as big a deal as people are making out IMO

If you actually read what I said then it’s a combination of all of those points that may make people think “f**k it, I’ll watch it at home instead” I never said any one thing in isolation would stop anyone going although it definitely will, especially Hibs fans.

Edited by Tattie36

Unless you were planning on travelling by train  !!

A 20 minute replacement bus is hardly the end of the world. There was always a high chance this game would be moved for TV so not as if it’s a bolt out of the blue; plus look at the bright side. I know of a decent number of guys who play amateur football on a Saturday (or work) who will now be attending.