The Arbroath Thread

21 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hasn't this window showed you the dangers of using loan players for key squad positions?  Sounds like you just want us to be an U18 team.

Right now, you'd be talking about having 5 loan players in our first XI.  Not sustainable.

Who said anything about them being in our first 11? 

And no it really hasn’t shown me the danger of anything. We have had the same core of permanent players right up until yesterday. I could understand your point if Corfe, Fosu or Isiaka were going to be here long term but I’d be extremely surprised if any are here this time next year. Signing guys like Allan permanently (or a Liam Henderson type signing) yes but these other punts are not for me

Would rather play it reasonably safe. I’d even rather get some guys who’ve played and been good in L2 or L1 to see how they’d get on. You cannot tell me there’s nobody out there that would have been a safer bet than what we’ve done.

ETA - 

Rory McAllister for example? I’d 100 percent have rather have got him in than Isiaka. I’d take most of the PT strikers currently signed for L1 teams over Isiaka 

I hope he’s fkn brilliant and I hope Corfe and Fosu turn out that way too my problem is more with the risk that’s involved. From the little I’ve saw of the latter 2 are they really making a big impact in L2 never mind L1? If not then why sign them over guys who are playing lower down the leagues

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I like guys like Craigen and Gold, good players with a lot of versatility. However, neither of them (and others) are going to get a huge amount of game time at this level unless covering for injury or suspension. Some seem to be happy with that, others not so.
Sad to see him go, he gave us one of the best moments in our club’s history but, ironically, if we had held on that night and gone up he would have been away from the club by now anyway.
I think Gold is more than capable of nailing down a regular start in the centre. He can do everything Chris Hamilton did plus better on the ball.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Who would you have brought in?  The SPL arent really loaning many players, we saw from Dowds, Henderson etc that the younger guys would rather be full time, and with everyone desperate for a striker, we are suffering, and if you look down the leagues, there actually arent all that many prolific part time strikers.

So who would you have gone for?

Edited to add, it sounds like the management spent a lot of time trying to find players, leaving no stone unturned!

I would have done everything possible to get ex-Red Lichtie striker Simon Murray on board, he bullied us 2 weeks ago and SCORES goals.

I know for a fact he would have been happy to go back part-time and start up his Plumbing buisness again, and as someones else said Rory McCallister.  

I would have done everything possible to get ex-Red Lichtie striker Simon Murray on board, he bullied us 2 weeks ago and SCORES goals.
I know for a fact he would have been happy to go back part-time and start up his Plumbing buisness again, and as someones else said Rory McCallister.  

I doubt we could have got Simon from the Spiders the way they’re going (and paying ).
We must surely have learned our lesson with fading strikers like McCallister.
Hester, however. A goal every other game I believe. I’d have him back tomorrow as would many Lichtie fans.
We’ve now got 2 young strikers and full backs. It could work out.

15 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I doubt we could have got Simon from the Spiders the way they’re going (and paying ).
Hester, however. A goal every other game I believe. I’d have him back tomorrow as would many Lichtie fans.

Kane Hester 😂 come on now. Never done anything of note above league 2 and still has his court case hanging above him. Would take McAllister over Hester everyday of the week.

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

Kane Hester 😂 come on now. Never done anything of note above league 2 and still has his court case hanging above him. Would take McAllister over Hester everyday of the week.

I was watching Hester causing chaos against us in the first-half for Elgin last week and actually thought he maybe looked like the one that got away for Arbroath over the past few years. He's got pace, skill, guile, a bit of a swagger and knows how to score goals. I was really impressed.

I've no idea if he left Gayfield on a sour note - and obviously there's the court case - but I'd have backed him to make the step up and score a few goals. Maybe not 15-20, but certainly double figures in a good team. I'm guessing you guys would be one of the few clubs who could afford to pay a fee for him too.

Whilst Hester hasn't done much above L2, McAllister hasn't above L1 - and he's considerably older. As terrific as he was last season.

22 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Learned lessons because Doolan and Prunty weren’t great? If we got offered Brian Graham or something would you not take him because he’s 35 years old and fading? 

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was watching Hester causing chaos against us in the first-half for Elgin last week and actually thought he maybe looked like the one that got away for Arbroath over the past few years. He's got pace, skill, guile, a bit of a swagger and knows how to score goals. I was really impressed.

I've no idea if he left Gayfield on a sour note - and obviously there's the court case - but I'd have backed him to make the step up and score a few goals. Maybe not 15-20, but certainly double figures in a good team. I'm guessing you guys would be one of the few clubs who could afford to pay a fee for him too.

Whilst Hester hasn't done much above L2, McAllister hasn't above L1 - and he's considerably older. As terrific as he was last season.

Aye and this is kind of my point, is this Isiakah chap really going to be doing that in L2? I seriously doubt it. Or Fosu or Corfe

Not meaning Hester in particular but I feel like we’ve had our blinkers on and are taking punts on trying to find some free agent hidden gem and it’s starting to become frustrating 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know Hester gets bad publicity around the alleged betting scandal but whenever I've seen him he looks very impressive. Was brilliant alongside Sutherland. Could play in the Championship imo. I'd definitely have taken him at Balmoral (especially if he's cleared of the allegation). Signed an extension with Elgin but if they go down he'll be away. 

Interested as well as to why he departed Gayfield.

Remember watching him last season, or was it the season before,  against Raith and he looked lively. Supposedly tore open the St Johnstone defence a few times in the league cup a few weeks back 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Learned lessons because Doolan and Prunty weren’t great? If we got offered Brian Graham or something would you not take him because he’s 35 years old and fading? 

Nobody’s suggesting Graham is fading.
I would certainly have Hester over just about every striker we’ve had since except Nouble.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

See the young striker Alloa just signed on loan from St Mirren for example. Give me that every single day of the week over Isiaka. 

You may be right and I suspect you’re bang on but impossible to tell when you’ve not watched any of them kick a ball. Just have to wait and see