The Arbroath Thread

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm not really saying anything new, but that's a terrific signing. Calum Gallagher in League One is like Dwight Gayle was in the Championship down south a few seasons ago. Just a guaranteed goalscorer, who maybe isn't quite capable of taking that next step. So fair play getting him tied down early. That's as good a signing as any League One team will make all summer, and it's only April!

He's an absolutely fantastic team player. Will work himself into the ground, do the ugly side of the game. Run channels, hold play up. All that good stuff. It still pisses me off that we had fans berate him every week for us because he runs in a weird, ungainly way. Sure, he's not the most aesthetically pleasing forward in the world, but I'd kill to have him back at The Rock.

Genuinely lovely guy too with a really nice nature about him. As said above, he'll be one happily dishing out high-fives and selfies with the kids.

Since you’ve mentioned him - Dwight Gayle’s wife is from Forfar. Fun fact.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Callum Gallagher rumour is true. Very happy with that. Well done to Jim and the board for getting the deal done 

WOW! That’s an impressive signing guys. Well done if you pull this off, plenty championship teams would have been happy with signing Callum. 

Excellent signing. Statement signing too as its the sort of signing we need to make to show that yes, we are still the biggest part time club in the country!  Keeping our best players and then augmenting with signings like this is a good step.  

Clearly the club have announced it today so they can appease the restless natives!

18 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Since you’ve mentioned him - Dwight Gayle’s wife is from Forfar. Fun fact.

Thats the exact knowledge I crave. Perfect for a random conversation. Well played 

Hopefully Jim will be able to sought out the type of creative players that will benefit our new signing otherwise it will be a waste if chances aren't being provided in the final third. 

Need to go into league 1 looking to be in a more attacking mindset as we have been stuck in a rut of playing defensive, containing football, trying not to lose, rather than trying to win games in the past couple of seasons.

Gutted

Devastated

end of an era

etc etc.

Absolutely gutted by this "conscious uncoupling", but like every other fan, I cannot wish him anything but the best.  Particular highlights for me are the Kelty goal, dragging us through against bohemians in the cup, overhead kick against Clyde, the Falkirk winner and for the wee man, CGal coming over and speaking to a few weans who had made the midweek trip up to inverness in the league cup at the beginning of the season.  A genuine modern day club legend, and I'm sure (without checking) his scoring record against East Fife (?) is frightening.

Best of luck Cal and Arbroath for next year, another score I'll need to keep a closer eye on.

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

So currently we stand at 10 players (Slater makes 11?) signed for next season. Halfway there

Not a bad side for league down as it stands 

Keeper

Steele / Walker

O’Brien

CH

LB

Stewart / Stowe

Gold

Slater 

Murray / Dow

McIntosh

Gallagher 

31 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not a bad side for league down as it stands 

Keeper

Steele / Walker

O’Brien

CH

LB

Stewart / Stowe

Gold

Slater 

Murray / Dow

McIntosh

Gallagher 

You could place Stewart in even more positions.  😂

Edited by Leicesterlichtie

4 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

You could place Stewart in even more positions.  😂

Hopefully he gets the chance to atleast start out at right midfield this season… 

17 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I hope Ricky Little stays. Even if he doesn’t play every game, he is such a good influence with his level of commitment. Anyone know whether he’s likely to be in the reckoning?

I have absolutely no idea - would be happy to see him stay - also if he doesn’t then maybe the time has come to try and get another younger player in that position who still has 3/4/5 plus years in them

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

In 100% ok with a fit ToB and Steele as centre back pairing next year,

Would also like Lyon to stay, 

Darren Lyon is basically your jack of all trades can fill in wherever and would be a brilliant addition to the squad. Other than McKenna who I think might be away and Colin Hamilton who I’m almost certain is away (although might be very wrong) him and Gaston are the 2 I would like to sign on the most 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

In 100% ok with a fit ToB and Steele as centre back pairing next year,

Would also like Lyon to stay, 

I’d also go for ToB and Steele at CB, but a lesson from this season is we need defensive cover for injuries and suspensions. 

Tell you what, who would we like to let go and get an upgrade?

Lyon

Jacobs

Robinson

Norey

Dunnwald

and we’ll have to replace a few more. 
We should aim to start the season with players we believe can earn a starting place if we have ambition. 
We desperately need at least one excellent winger, a creative midfielder and a defensive midfielder - not to mention a goalie or two, a left back etc. 

I’d keep Norey. He has shown ability in his limited game time. Only game I really remember him struggling in was the against Dunfermline at EEP and he was hooked at half time 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hopefully he gets the chance to atleast start out at right midfield this season… 

I have absolutely no idea - would be happy to see him stay - also if he doesn’t then maybe the time has come to try and get another younger player in that position who still has 3/4/5 plus years in them

Be great if he could ….help with the transitioning that is inevitably coming…  Dropping a division might suit and in reality not that many clubs nearer by to make it significantly worthwhile (travel time etc) ….he has earned the right to choose but for one would like to see him stay

As previously stated Gallagher is a top signing and will guarantee you 14 goals easy,   my question is did this signing need to be announced now,    is Gallagher's time left at Airdrie compromised,  he could still be needed to score goals, even though he has been clearly off it recently..

Did Airdrie know this was being announced, normally there is a gentlemens agreement (can you still say that phrase these days) over timing etc,  it just seems very random to announce a PCA.  

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

As previously stated Gallagher is a top signing and will guarantee you 14 goals easy,   my question is did this signing need to be announced now,    is Gallagher's time left at Airdrie compromised,  he could still be needed to score goals, even though he has been clearly off it recently..

Did Airdrie know this was being announced, normally there is a gentlemens agreement (can you still say that phrase these days) over timing etc,  it just seems very random to announce a PCA.  

f**k knows - would imagine so if Airdrie fans had heard it was happening before Arbroath fans even had the slightest clue - think we probably asked for it to be announced just now as there is a meet the manager Q and A tonight and this will be used as a big positive and example of kind of players we will be trying to sign for next year. It’s a statement signing for McIntyre and the club. 

My biggest concern over McIntyre would be if players would want to come here (or stay here but this was before Stewart and Dow re signed) but doesn’t get any better PT wise than Gallagher and as Dick used to say all the time good players attract good players. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie