Germany vs Scotland

nelsjfc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you honestly think we give a f**k?

Nah ;)

Funny that pretty much all the Scots fans I meet when I go up there are very friendly and a lot of the ones I meet 'online' are not.

Strange that.

Maybe I come across better in real life than I do online. I am not confrontational really and I actually want you to do well. Message boards are a poor indicator of personality in my view.

Clearly more a case of adding new left-footed players in the usual re-building phase post-WC, hence Delph and Rose also. But whatever suits your agenda.

Darren Bent scored 20 goals plus for Sunderland and made about two squads in two years and then went to Villa, failed to score often. but was a shoe in for England for over a year.

Henderson got picked once while at Sunderland but is now a first pick.

Kevin Phillips won the European golden boot at Sunderland and could not break into the England Squad. He got picked twice I think and then he went to Villa and got picked three or four more times but hardly scored for Villa.

Lee Cattermole was an England regular at every level up to full and never gets a chance now. He was a team mate of Colbacks last year and every Sunderland fan will tell you he's the better player yet Colback gets picked (as soon as he leaves).

Darren Bent scored 20 goals plus for Sunderland and made about two squads in two years and then went to Villa, failed to score often. but was a shoe in for England for over a year.

Kevin Phillips won the European golden boot at Sunderland and could not break into the England Squad. He got picked twice I think and then he wne to Villa and got picked three or four more times.

I've no idea who the respective alternatives were at those particular times, but i can tell with 99.9% certainty that your opinion is biased. That's no offence, it's just natural.

What a game - I thought Scotland were brilliant, played some great passing football, had a well taken goal, some really good chances but sadly some customary bad defending. When Strachan got the job I was a but disappointed as I didn't think he'd be that great - delighted to be wrong, we are playing better than ever.

Can't believe I am disappointed that we dropped points against Germany in Germany but I felt that we deserved a draw at least.

I thought the ref was poor - a ultras was daft to kick the ball away, however if you are lenient and only give a yellow to Durm in the first half when he brought down Naismith with a clear goal scoring opportunity then you don't send someone off for kicking a ball away. Very inconsistent and gave imaginary fouls to Germany that weren't there. Mullers pull on Maloney was a bad one but a professional foul which you sometimes get, it annoyed me less than the ref blowing for full time when we had a corner.

All in all i pretty pleased and if we can take this form and beat Georgia I'll be very happy.

Kevin Phillips won the European golden boot at Sunderland and could not break into the England Squad. He got picked twice I think and then he went to Villa and got picked three or four more times.

Lee Cattermole was an England regular at every level up to full and never gets a chance now. He was a team mate of Colbacks last year and every Sunderland fan will tell you he's the better player yet Colback gets picked.

I refer you to my learned colleagues response from earlier. In a scotland v germany thread do you think there could be less of a f**k given about the english selection policy?

Kevin Phillips won the European golden boot at Sunderland and could not break into the England Squad. He got picked twice I think and then he went to Villa and got picked three or four more times.

Lee Cattermole was an England regular at every level up to full and never gets a chance now. He was a team mate of Colbacks last year and every Sunderland fan will tell you he's the better player yet Colback gets picked.

Actually I see what you are saying, it was kind of like that up here for a bit when good players didn't get a look in until they played for either of the Old Firm. It's better now I think, I'd say the players in the team are there on merit now.

I think the problem is,'similar to what you say, but that because of Sky's love of making out that all things EPL is amazing, most of your players are overrated to a degree that even when expectations are low, they are still higher than they should be. That's not to say they are bad players - just not able to live up to the hype generated about them.

Think Kincardine mentioned it a few pages back, but it's brilliant that we're unhappy about dropping points against the world champions away, where as under Levein, Burley etc anything apart from a humping was acceptable. Really shows what Strachan's done in such a short time.

Actually I see what you are saying, it was kind of like that up here for a bit when good players didn't get a look in until they played for either of the Old Firm. It's better now I think, I'd say the players in the team are there on merit now.

I think the problem is,'similar to what you say, but that because of Sky's love of making out that all things EPL is amazing, most of your players are overrated to a degree that even when expectations are low, they are still higher than they should be. That's not to say they are bad players - just not able to live up to the hype generated about them.

Not sure turning out for the super powers that are Newcastle and Villa are similar to automatic old firm selection up here. See also Gary Monck moaning about Roy Hodgson never being at the Liberty since he became England manager the other week, like he's not well aware of the likes of Dyer, Shelvey etc anyway and doesn't see them elsewhere. Total misnomer.

It's glorious failure against the world champions again, but this time the confidence from the performance may actually do us some good for a change. When we lost at home to Italy, it was the last game of the campaign and our manager buggered off to some Premier League dross side shortly afterwards. When we lost at home to Spain, we had almost a whole year to wait before our next competitive game. Now we play a bog standard fifth seed at home in a month's time with the momentum of a good twelve months behind us and the most difficult fixture out of the way.

So glorious failure again yes, but this time we should have more than just patronising media plaudits to look forward to.

I refer you to my learned colleagues response from earlier. In a scotland v germany thread do you think there could be less of a f**k given about the english selection policy?

Fair enough, I was just having a bit of a rant :)

Getting back on topic, I thought your lads played well and should have a good chance of qualification if you continue to play like that. Lets be honest the other sides will do well to come away from Germany with just -1 on the goal difference.

Not sure turning out for the super powers that are Newcastle and Villa are similar to automatic old firm selection up here. See also Gary Monck moaning about Roy Hodgson never being at the Liberty since he became England manager the other week, like he's not well aware of the likes of Dyer, Shelvey etc anyway and doesn't see them elsewhere. Total misnomer.

No but it sometimes becomes about who you play for rather than how well you are playing. Look at the Lee Wallace argument, back in the day he probably would be called up even though they are in the championship and he's been out of the top flight for years. Now though, he's not getting near and that is as it should be.

As for the referee, my main gripe is the issue of stoppage time. He blew on exactly 45 minutes in the first half despite a goal being scored as well as numerous other stoppages. Why play, quite blatantly, for less than 45 minutes? Again in the second half, Reus' (?) injury took over two minutes to address, and this was not reflected on top of the originally allotted 3 minutes stoppage. As a result we were unable to take a corner when chasing the game. That was just poor.

Not many complaints about anything else though, Mulgrew received two yellow cards for two bookable offences, Müller deservedly received a yellow for his foul on Maloney, and whilst I can understand the argument that Durm should have been sent off for fouling Naismith, I think most referees would have given the yellow with the other centre half still in relatively close proximity to Naismith. I'd like to see it again though.

As for the referee, my main gripe is the issue of stoppage time. He blew on exactly 45 minutes in the first half despite a goal being scored as well as numerous other stoppages. Why play, quite blatantly, for less than 45 minutes? Again in the second half, Reus' (?) injury took over two minutes to address, and this was not reflected on top of the originally allotted 3 minutes stoppage. As a result we were unable to take a corner when chasing the game. That was just poor.

Not many complaints about anything else though, Mulgrew received two yellow cards for two bookable offences, Müller deservedly received a yellow for his foul on Maloney, and whilst I can understand the argument that Durm should have been sent off for fouling Naismith, I think most referees would have given the yellow with the other centre half still in relatively close proximity to Naismith. I'd like to see it again though.

Pulling a player back by his neck is as dangerous as it gets and should always be a straight red even on the half way line.

What a find Russell Martin has been by the way particularly since moving to centre back.

A great organiser which is required when playing next to Hanley who is very rash at times and needs to be told what to do.

Getting the armband when Fletcher went off speaks volumes of the influence this guy is having in the camp.

What a find Russell Martin has been by the way particularly since moving to centre back.

A great organiser which is required when playing next to Hanley who is very rash at times and needs to be told what to do.

Getting the armband when Fletcher went off speaks volumes of the influence this guy is having in the camp.

agreed, but tbf to Hanley, he was fairly solid tonight

Carragher is the classic example of why England fail at International level.

The media pick the team for the most part and the media only watch the top sides. Jack Colback plays 115 games for Sunderland and does very well for the best part of 4 seasons. He gets a free transfer to Newcastle as his contract had expired and hes immediately in the next England squad having never got a mention over the previous 4 years and having only started two games for Newcastle.

Are we really saying he got that much better in the month (and two games he played) or are we saying if you play for a club the media don't watch and write about, you are nothing?

This is nothing new, its been going on for years and Carragher was a classic example as he played for the right club.

This is the Germany vs Scotland thread.

Who the f**k is Jack Colback?

agreed, but tbf to Hanley, he was fairly solid tonight

To be honest I wouldn't want to criticise any of the players tonight - yes some made mistakes but I think everyone played as well as they could.

Archived