Germany vs Scotland

nelsjfc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the referee, my main gripe is the issue of stoppage time. He blew on exactly 45 minutes in the first half despite a goal being scored as well as numerous other stoppages. Why play, quite blatantly, for less than 45 minutes? Again in the second half, Reus' (?) injury took over two minutes to address, and this was not reflected on top of the originally allotted 3 minutes stoppage. As a result we were unable to take a corner when chasing the game. That was just poor.

Not many complaints about anything else though, Mulgrew received two yellow cards for two bookable offences, Müller deservedly received a yellow for his foul on Maloney, and whilst I can understand the argument that Durm should have been sent off for fouling Naismith, I think most referees would have given the yellow with the other centre half still in relatively close proximity to Naismith. I'd like to see it again though.

I pretty much agree with this. As replays showed also, Germany were denied two penalties that many refs would have given.

We also dodged a lot of near misses from the German attack. I'm not being negative, I think it's an excellent result for us relatively speaking and we were very close to at least taking a point from the game but the best team won and whilst there were a few refereeing decisions I disagreed with I think there were probably a couple the Germans did as well.

Having said all that, I think second place in the group is definitely achievable with this team and in particular, the manager Always liked WGS and feel we have the right man at the helm to try and fight Ireland and Poland for second place.

I thought Morrison was very poor

Agreed. He looked way out of his depth and offered little in the number 10 role

I think he's better than that usually. Maybe his mind was on the Rock, paper, scissors game?

Actually - horrible thought... What if that rock, paper, scissors game was for who gets who's shirt at the end...?

Morrison is just coming back from injury, he's not up to speed for club or country yet. He's a good player when match fit. Thought the weak links tonight were Whittaker at left back and Mulgrew in midfield. McArthur wasn't great when he came on either. We'll be stronger when Robertson, Brown and Snodgrass are back. We have some good young players coming through. There is no doubt that we are on upward trajectory under Strachan. Anya was outstanding, a player who seems to thrive in the international spotlight, one of those rare players who seems to play better for country than club.

Aye I'll cut Morrison a bit of slack, he was poor tonight but has been a decent player for us since he first got capped (6 years ago already!) and once he's back up to scratch he'll be an important player for us.

Special mention has to go to Anya though, I thought he was outstanding. To show that amount of composure after a 50 yard run to be one on one against an intimidating figure such as Neuer was just excellent. Some seasoned strikers would've shat it but he finished it cool as you like.

Very positive signs. Once Darren & Steven Fletcher are up to scratch, Snodgrass & Brown are fit again, Hutton getting regular games for Villa now, Robertson starting regularly for Hull, we've got the makings of a proper team coming together and it'll only get better as the campaign progresses.

What a performance tonight Anya was the best Scotland player on the field by a mile followed closely by Marshall who made a few important saves for us that kept us in it, I thought we were very poor at the back tonight sluggish when getting out to the ball and our attempts at clearing for the Germany 2nd goal was poor but there are more positives than negatives in that we actually had a go at the world champions.

That finish. :wub:

The kinda one Kenny Miller would always miss because he had far too long to think about it.

Anya held his nerve exceptionally well. He really has been an amazing find and kudos to WGS for taking a chance on him, got to be one of the first names and the team sheet now.

Scotland played well, Anya great pace, great finish. Naismith good game too. Wasn't sure if Mulgrew deserved a second booking - i will need to see it again.

I watched the game in Glasgow city center, some atmosphere - especially when Anya scored!

That finish. :wub:

The kinda one Kenny Miller would always miss because he had far too long to think about it.

Yip, Miller would either have blazed it over the bar in panic stricken fashion, have simply hit it straight at the 'keeper, or overran it on the way in, enabling the goalie to smother it before a shot was got away at all.

Which campaign was it again that he missed one-on-ones in four games at 0-0, in which we eventually dropped points?

We obviously won't play as well against the lesser teams, we are Scotland after all. Wish Strachan had been available all along and we didn't have to suffer the humiliation under our previous manager.

Last night was very encouraging but i wonder how we will look in games we are expected to have longer spells on the ball and how many chances we will create. We have a lot of pace and are good on the counter tack but i can't see us posing a constant threat against Georgia who could well sit back and be pretty comfortable against us for long spells of the game. Im going to enjoy the campaign though and hopefully get myself along to a few of the games. :)

Is it bad I think we could beat all 5 teams at home? Germany would be the toughest but if we play like last night + home crowd we'd have a good chance

Is it bad I think we could beat all 5 teams at home? Germany would be the toughest but if we play like last night + home crowd we'd have a good chance

I think its something we've got to do, tbh

I was supporting you tonight and it feels similar to what happens to Sunderland when we play at the top sides in the premier league (and also at home to be honest). We get the odd good result but its almost always despite the officials. Its almost like you have to win by two clear goals to get a draw sometimes.

You were VERY hard done by tonight decision wise.

But. Hoopy1967 supports Ireland.

Archived