Germany vs Scotland

nelsjfc

Think it was a bad night for us overall last night.

Ireland winning in Georgia is a tremendous result for them, and leaves Georgia almost out of it. Poland ran up their goal difference as to be expected.

Can you see us winning in Georgia, or running up 7 in Portugal? Hmm...

In plain terms the "middle 3" will be looking at 12 points from the "Two G's" and 0 points from Germany, and then the group will come down to games between us.

The ideal scenario is Poland and Ireland draw both matches together and maybe Georgia sneak a point off one of them, and then we should get through just by winning our home games (Except Germany)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if posted already but for those wondering how teams are ranked if on equal points this is what I found (on Wiki :unsure: )

Tie-breaking

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:[9]

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
  4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played between the teams in question;
  5. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 10 apply;
  6. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  7. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
  10. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;

To determine the best third-placed team, the results against the teams in sixth place are discarded. The following criteria are applied:

1. Higher number of points obtained;
  2. Superior goal difference;
  3. Higher number of goals scored;
  4. Higher number of away goals scored;
  5. Fair play conduct in all group matches;
  6. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;

For me, last night was an opportunity missed. We should really have come out of that game with a point. We only stayed level for 4 minutes and the second goal was a poor one to lose. All that said, a very encouraging performance. This is as good an opportunity as we've had in years to qualify for a tournament. Please let's not screw it up.

He can't get a game for Watford.

Looks a star for us mainly due to his pace at this level international football is quite slow and methodical in the build up so his pace is a massive weapon.

Who cares if he's an average Championship playe or who he could play for as long as he continues to put in those types of performances.

Not sure about that. I'm sure he starts most games when fit

He can't get a game for Watford.

Looks a star for us mainly due to his pace at this level international football is quite slow and methodical in the build up so his pace is a massive weapon.

Who cares if he's an average Championship playe or who he could play for as long as he continues to put in those types of performances.

I can't believe he can't get a game for Watford! He's a great player - hopefully he might get himself a bit of recognition if he can keep performing for us and either get into the Watford team or get a move to somewhere who will play him.

It's incredible how much belief, and a strategy the team buys into, from a manager can increase performance from, effectively, the same group of players.

We still have Scott Brown and Roberts Snodgrass to return, two players who are so effective at keeping the tempo going, really quite confident about this campaign now.

Even in defeat that performance will have done wonders for the whole squad...........pleasing!

I can't believe he can't get a game for Watford! He's a great player - hopefully he might get himself a bit of recognition if he can keep performing for us and either get into the Watford team or get a move to somewhere who will play him.

He gets plenty of games for Watford and is arguably one of their best players. Here's his stats for last season:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51192&season_id=143

44 appearances (including a couple for Scotland)

He gets plenty of games for Watford and is arguably one of their best players. Here's his stats for last season:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51192&season_id=143

44 appearances (including a couple for Scotland)

Oh well that's good :) I was going by Neillys post - I haven't followed Watford that much. It did seem surprising as he's a great player for us.

With Anya on the left, wouldn't Johnny Russel be perfect balance on the right?

Both players lightning quick with great touch, crossing and the ability beat a man. They can also both shoot!

If we play like that against Georgia, we'll win convincingly.

If Forrest ever gets fit he could play on the right. Russell an option through the middle as is Watt.

If Forrest ever gets fit he could play on the right. Russell an option through the middle as is Watt.

Yeah, was thinking that. If Forrest can get an injury free run he and Anya could rip some teams apart (neither player is without faults, but both are lightning fast and can beat their man)

Does anyone think Marshall could have done better for the first? If he steps back instead of diving straight away I reckon he could have kept it out relatively easily.

Aye, I said this last night. It was a great spring and looping header from Muller, but it wasn't particularly powerful. He did make a few great saves to compensate, however. I'd say both the goals that we conceded were poor ones to lose.

I'm sure I read the other day that Snodgrass' injury could keep him sidelined until the start of next season, which is a blow for us. I'd like to see Naismith taking his place there and Maloney in behind Fletcher (who I thought was great when he came on).

Think I've posted this about 5 times since he scored but f**k it.

I fucking love Anya.

What. A. Guy.

I love how even though we got beaten, the boy is just so enthusiastic and happy about playing for his country and how buzzing he was to have played & scored in it.

The Neuer line sums him up for me, can't score against him in FIFA but does in an actual game. It's brilliant.

Think it was a bad night for us overall last night.

Ireland winning in Georgia is a tremendous result for them, and leaves Georgia almost out of it. Poland ran up their goal difference as to be expected.

Can you see us winning in Georgia, or running up 7 in Portugal? Hmm...

A bad night? We only lost 2 goals vs the world champions, scored a great goal vs the world champions. Georgia are not out of it. There is plenty games still to be played. Yes it was a good result for Ireland i suppose.

Remember Scotland were 5th favorites to win the group? Germany, Poland, Ireland, Georgia are above us/ Or are we 4th faves i can't rememer.

I can only dream about Scotland getting to Euro 2016 - but i would still be happy to see Scotland go undefeated at Hampden, not get embarrassed away from home. Finally if Scotland score one goal every game - that will give me something to celebrate and go mental!

Overall thoughts from last night are:

1. Great performance, but probably was an opportunity lost. I'm not saying we actually deserved a draw, but getting to 1-1 with 20mins left gave us a great chance to get one. Hope it doesn't cost us later on.

2. On a more positive note, WGS deserves huge praise for the way the team are playing. I loved how early he made the tactical switch by bringing on Fletcher and MacArthur. No way at only 1-0 down would Levein or Burley have done that after 58 mins, but he could see we were causing them some problems and he changed it up to try and take advantage of that. Nothing worse than seeing us sitting at 1-0 down waiting for the 80th minute before throwing on a striker for the last 10 mins.

3. Don't want to criticise players, but while Whittaker is potentially a decent standby for Hutton, he's not suited to playing left back. Really looking forward to getting Robertson back there and linking up with Anya down the left.

4. Likewise, against Georgia at home, I would prefer to have someone like Forrest (or even young McGregor) on the right side to help match Anya's pace on the left. Bannan had a good game last night, and he and Hutton link up well with Hutton overlapping, but other teams are soon going to spot that Anya is the only fast player we have and try to stop him. If fit, Forrest would give the Georgian defence something else to worry about.

5. Based on last night, I would also probably go with Fletcher up front with Naismith at nbr 10 (floating). Naismith plays the number 10 at Everton, he's intelligent enough to do it, but he will also get stuck in to help the midfield. Having both him and Fletcher up front would also give us two players who are great in the air, hopefully with Robertson, Anya, Forrest and Hutton getting crosses into them.

Overall thoughts from last night are:

1. Great performance, but probably was an opportunity lost. I'm not saying we actually deserved a draw, but getting to 1-1 with 20mins left gave us a great chance to get one. Hope it doesn't cost us later on.

2. On a more positive note, WGS deserves huge praise for the way the team are playing. I loved how early he made the tactical switch by bringing on Fletcher and MacArthur. No way at only 1-0 down would Levein or Burley have done that after 58 mins, but he could see we were causing them some problems and he changed it up to try and take advantage of that. Nothing worse than seeing us sitting at 1-0 down waiting for the 80th minute before throwing on a striker for the last 10 mins.

3. Don't want to criticise players, but while Whittaker is potentially a decent standby for Hutton, he's not suited to playing left back. Really looking forward to getting Robertson back there and linking up with Anya down the left.

4. Likewise, against Georgia at home, I would prefer to have someone like Forrest (or even young McGregor) on the right side to help match Anya's pace on the left. Bannan had a good game last night, and he and Hutton link up well with Hutton overlapping, but other teams are soon going to spot that Anya is the only fast player we have and try to stop him. If fit, Forrest would give the Georgian defence something else to worry about.

5. Based on last night, I would also probably go with Fletcher up front with Naismith at nbr 10 (floating). Naismith plays the number 10 at Everton, he's intelligent enough to do it, but he will also get stuck in to help the midfield. Having both him and Fletcher up front would also give us two players who are great in the air, hopefully with Robertson, Anya, Forrest and Hutton getting crosses into them.

I thought we defended far too deep in the first half and probably a bit fortunate the Germans didn't punish us more. Its Ok to play low pressure against a team like Germany, but asking for trouble not getting more pressure on the ball in our final third. Much improved in the 2nd half, and our confidence seemed to grow as the game wore on.

Agree regarding Whittaker. He is good with the ball, but switches off defensively. I actually prefer him as a wide midfielder if playing 5 in the midfield, as opposed to a full back. Was great to see Strachan make the changes early rather than wait until the last 5 minutes as we have witnessed in the past. Looking at the team last night, a few tweaks and changes are obviously needed. Will be good to see both Brown, Forrest and Snodgrass back, as they would add to the team.

Overall, disappointed in the end result, but happy with our performance against a top quality team. Some good young players coming in the pipeline from the U21's and U19's, hoping they can step up to the first team in the next couple of years. Qualifying for the Euro's would be great, but it also boosts our rankings making it less difficult in future.

Archived