Germany vs Scotland

nelsjfc

Think it was a bad night for us overall last night.

Ireland winning in Georgia is a tremendous result for them, and leaves Georgia almost out of it. Poland ran up their goal difference as to be expected.

Can you see us winning in Georgia, or running up 7 in Portugal? Hmm...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland winning in Georgia is a tremendous result for them, and leaves Georgia almost out of it. Poland ran up their goal difference as to be expected.

This was a point I made last night. A superb performance from us no doubt, but we're now already playing catch up.

Simply, we need to get 12 points from Georgia/Gibraltar games. Assuming we lose to Germany at home, it would come down to the Ireland and Poland home and away ties.

We should be looking to get 7 points minimum from our 3 remaining qualifiers in 2014.

Well I don't see why we can't think in terms of winning in Georgia, we damn near got points last night after all.

The goal difference doesn't all have to be taken back over in Portugal either but likewise if Poland can do it I don't see why we can't.

I don't think it's much worse than expected at this stage, the Republic winning wasn't great but isn't disastrous - all we can control are our own points and we didn't expect anything so far.

I think its something we've got to do, tbh

Yep. If you look at our campaigns since 98 (with the exception of 2000 & 04), its not the games away from home that see us fail to qualify, its our failure to beat people at home. 2002 saw us drop points to Croatia and Belgium at home, in 2006 we dropped points to Slovenia, Norway and Belarus, in 2008 we dropped points to Italy, 2010 we dropped points to Norway and the Dutch, 2012 despite all the shambles that was, ultimately came down to drawing at home with the Czechs.

Win our home games, take what you can away: Qualify.

The Georgians looked a fairly poor side, tbh. Scored from a tremendous strike with a deflection, but offered next to f**k all beside that. That said, Ireland getting a last minute winner wasn't really perfect for us.

Can I see us running up 7 in Portugal? Kind of. We ran up six against the Faroes who were equally shite the last time we were good.

Guest vierterstern

Really enjoyable match and superb performance by the Scottish team. Really nailbiting stuff as I fear they would sneak the equalizer.

If you would leave out 1st half, scotland was as good as Germany. A draw (at least) would have been fair. If you take the whole 90mins I think our win is ok. I just don´t understand why Scotland was so overcautious in the first 45 mins. At halftime I thought it´s gonna be a comfortable 3:0 but the equalizer was more than deserved.

I would say Scotland is miles ahead of Ireland in this group as I can well remember then from our last campaign. They are weaker than Scotland as a team and gave us much less to worry, than you.

Credits to Scotland!! Massively improved since Strachan took over. I think they will qualify. Games against Poland/Ireland should be very interesting.

Last but not least I think we will improve as well and in october injured players will be back and others will perform better.

Can not wait to come over to Scotland for the return match. Just hope we will sneak through both.

Well I don't see why we can't think in terms of winning in Georgia, we damn near got points last night after all.

The goal difference doesn't all have to be taken back over in Portugal either but likewise if Poland can do it I don't see why we can't.

I don't think it's much worse than expected at this stage, the Republic winning wasn't great but isn't disastrous - all we can control are our own points and we didn't expect anything so far.

We certainly need 6 points from the 2 games against Georgia now, and of course 6 points and a minimum of +10 GD in the 2 games against Gibraltar.

Looking at that German team last night they seemed a bit complacent, which is understandable really. I'm sure there u21 team could finish in the top 2 of this group.

They will certainly win the section, but I can see complacency resulting in them dropping points somewhere along the way. Let's hope it's in Glasgow, and not Warsaw or Dublin. If any of the 3 of us could take points off Germany it could be the difference.

We certainly need 6 points from the 2 games against Georgia now, and of course 6 points and a minimum of +10 GD in the 2 games against Gibraltar.

Looking at that German team last night they seemed a bit complacent, which is understandable really. I'm sure there u21 team could finish in the top 2 of this group.

They will certainly win the section, but I can see complacency resulting in them dropping points somewhere along the way. Let's hope it's in Glasgow, and not Warsaw or Dublin. If any of the 3 of us could take points off Germany it could be the difference.

I heard that the results/goals vs the bottom seeds 'don't count'. Anyone able to clear up exactly what this means?

I heard that the results/goals vs the bottom seeds 'don't count'. Anyone able to clear up exactly what this means?

Think that only applies when determining who the best 3rd place team is as there's 1 group with 5 teams (& France) in it

I think its something we've got to do, tbh

While we should be going for the win, we could still finish second with a defeat at home to Germany. If we take the required 18 points from Ireland, Georgia and Gibraltar and take four points from Poland we're there, while even taking three from Poland would give us a good chance if we'd taken 18 from the other three. Four points each from the games with Poland and Ireland should be enough too. It's not easy, but it's doable.

Great 2nd half attacking display from Scotland ! btw, has anyone thought that because we attacked and only lost by 1 goal it might just take us through this group? I reckon a few of the teams in this group will lose to the Germans at home by 3-4 goals once the German machine gets going and we might just look back to September and realize that this attacking display and a goal in Germany his seen us in the Euro Finals on goal difference.

Anya is absolute dynamite. Love the man. Is there any reason he's still at Watford? Is he better internationally than he is at club level? On his performances for us, you'd think he could make it at a Hull/West Brom type team.

He can't get a game for Watford.

Looks a star for us mainly due to his pace at this level international football is quite slow and methodical in the build up so his pace is a massive weapon.

Who cares if he's an average Championship playe or who he could play for as long as he continues to put in those types of performances.

The last time Scotland beat Germany, in 1999, the goal was also in the 66th minute like last night.

Also before last night, the last time Scotland played Germany it was also in the Euro qualifiers, away, and the result was the same (10 Sep 2003 - Neil McCann got the goal)

Archived