All things Dundee FC

The statement from the club doesn't claim to know the innermost thoughts or beliefs of each individual supporter or what they get up to in their spare time, they are saying there isn't a sectarian problem at matches, and their isn't.

That's not what the club statement says. It claims there isn't a problem within the support, not just that there isn't a problem at matches.

Bizarre that Dundee fans seem unable to answer that question.

It's common knowledge that there are only 4 clubs in Scotland with a massive sectarian element. Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Dundee.

I've been having a wee laugh at this thread, particularly the seeth from the Dees, but I can't let that post go unanswered.

I've been following United for longer than most posters on here have drawn breath. I can assure you there is not a "massive sectarian element" with Dundee supporters; there's not even a significant minority. Anyone who suggests other wise is taking nonsense.

That's not what the club statement says. It claims there isn't a problem within the support, not just that there isn't a problem at matches.

At tannadice I have heard folk call rangers fans h UN b*****ds I have heard Celtic fans called f enian b*****ds.

I have heard players called poofs, I have heard foreign players told to go back to their own country.

If you have not heard similar at your own club then I would be amazed.

Is it a problem within the support? No.

I've already addressed this point with you.

How else do you suggest the club determines the behaviour of the support if not at matches? Should John Nelms hire some babysitters to monitor the way fans conduct themselves at home?

As much as you'd like to tar us with a sectarian brush, there's - unfortunately for you - not even a hint of a problem.

At tannadice I have heard folk call rangers fans h UN b*****ds I have heard Celtic fans called f enian b*****ds.

I have heard players called poofs, I have heard foreign players told to go back to their own country.

If fans are calling people ******s I would say that is a problem. If fans are being homophobic I would also say that is a problem.

I've been having a wee laugh at this thread, particularly the seeth from the Dees, but I can't let that post go unanswered.

I've been following United for longer than most posters on here have drawn breath. I can assure you there is not a "massive sectarian element" with Dundee supporters; there's not even a significant minority. Anyone who suggests other wise is taking nonsense.

Spot on.

Granny Danger, on 09 Oct 2014 - 19:00, said:

Well said.

Dundee FC said "we are able to confirm that there is no such problem within the support at Dens Park". I don't think that's true for any football club in the country - every single support will have a small element of bigots (no doubt of varying sizes depending on the club). Dundee are leaving themselves open to be made to look very silly when even one such bigot gets involved in some form of sectarian behaviour at a game in the future.

I'm not sure why they couldn't just have said something along the lines of "we have no evidence of any sectarian behaviour within our support at any matches this season". That would make it clear that they don't think there is a widespread problem at Dens Park without attempting to speak for every single member of their support.

I think it has been very clever (which is unusual) of the club to come out with this carefully worded statement.

To my mind, as someone who lives away from Dundee, I need to check the DCTs papers online most days for news etc. and over the last few years we have had a fairly uneasy relationship with them because of the negative way the club has been reported (some of it our own fault).

The way they have worded it means that DCTs need to prove something or retract, there is no middle ground and the guy that wrote this story needs to back it up and four Arabs in the pub at the wind up is top banter but shite journalism.

This isn't an argument between two posters on P&B, this is my team saying to the local newspaper, what the f**k do you think you are doing, we bend over backwards to keep you informed ?

This may have something to do with the number of journalists from outside the city who basically don't have clue about the city our how the teams's fans see themselves and others.

I hate the Arabs with a passion, fucking detest the dayglo b*****ds but I'll guarantee that after every derby game I have been to in the last 30 years I have had a pint with one of them afterwards and in that time I have never heard any kind of sectarianism, it's irrelevant in Dundee and has been since the last bastion of sectarianism in the city erm ... D.C.Thomson's started employing catholics.

If we wanted to see sectarianism we would pop over to Fife with their umpteen buses from Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy etc on the way to Glasgow.

I think it says more about the journalist, his upbringing and his lack of local knowledge that this is a 'story',

If we wanted to see sectarianism we would pop over to Fife with their umpteen buses from Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy etc on the way to Glasgow.

You don't know what sectarianism is do you? Swing and a miss.

It's also amusing you don't seem to think anyone in Dundee supports the Old Firm - not that it matters when discussing sectarianism as its irrelevant.

I already said earlier in the thread that every club in Scotland will have bigots within their support. My issue isn't with the Dundee support, my issue is with Dundee releasing a statement which claims that they don't have any problems. That would make them unique in Scottish football, if it was true.

I'd say that if any supporter behaves in a racist or sectarian manner, that's a problem for the club. I would certainly have a problem with it and would expect any reasonable human being to be the same.

I've already addressed this point with you.

How else do you suggest the club determines the behaviour of the support if not at matches? Should John Nelms hire some babysitters to monitor the way fans conduct themselves at home?

As much as you'd like to tar us with a sectarian brush, there's - unfortunately for you - not even a hint of a problem.

I'm not asking the club to determine the behaviour of the support. I'm asking them to refrain from making sweeping statements about their support which they cannot back up. Had they said "We have found no evidence of sectarian behaviour from our supporters at Dens Park", that would be fine.

I'm not asking the club to determine the behaviour of the support. I'm asking them to refrain from making sweeping statements about their support which they cannot back up. Had they said "We have found no evidence of sectarian behaviour from our supporters at Dens Park", that would be fine.

'Use of sectarian language is something the club takes very seriously. As such we are able to confirm that there is no such problem within the support at Dens Park.'

There is no sectarian problem, ergo the club can confirm there is no such problem. Very straightforward stuff.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the alleged meaning of the word Derry? Maybe it's my age but I know that word only as the south enclosure and the name of a town...

As far as I am led to believe there was a large dairy (DPM....?) the other side of Dens Road from the SE. So the SE became known as the DAIRY, which has become b*****dised over time to; the DERRY.

Most likely due to our glorious dialect.

Oh, Craig.

Let me explain this as you seem to be missing the point. The club is addressing an incorrect perception regarding our 'support', i.e. a collective, not an individual person or case.

The implication (obviously... ) being that sectarianism is not – and has never been in my lifetime, at least – an issue at Dundee. It absolutely, undeniably isn't institutionalised as suggested in the article.

Yes; it is true that every club suffers from the odd idiot; this isn't what DCT or the Club are talking about though. The Courier have labelled Dundee fans, specifically those that sit in the South Enclosure, as bigots and that is entirely baseless.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, here's an image of a scribble I found on a wall in a pub in London:

goodwillie.jpg

Edited by LiamDFC