All things Dundee FC

Think this is a good move. He needs first team experience and I don't think he's quite there at Dens yet.[/quoteWhat like a players he ? We re needing a goalscorer as you ll see buy our results just can t finish teams off! A few biggish games coming up (by Brechin s standards anyway ha ha ) Hopefully he ll get a run in team we had Riordon for a mth but he nvr got a sniff for some reason !

Wighton is our biggest talent. He's got a big, big future ahead of him unless it all goes wrong for him at Brechin. His intelligence on the football pitch is superior to most. His vision for the ball to play is superb. And he's a top notch finisher. Bomber Brown and Peter MacDonald considered him as the most talented youth they'd ever came across. He's got a lot of hype around him. This loan spell will be an important factor in his development. If he flops at Brechin ( Which in an ideal world he won't) then that'll be a major worry. As you have a real true talent on your hands.

Wighton is our biggest talent. He's got a big, big future ahead of him unless it all goes wrong for him at Brechin. His intelligence on the football pitch is superior to most. His vision for the ball to play is superb. And he's a top notch finisher. Bomber Brown and Peter MacDonald considered him as the most talented youth they'd ever came across. He's got a lot of hype around him. This loan spell will be an important factor in his development. If he flops at Brechin ( Which in an ideal world he won't) then that'll be a major worry. As you have a real true talent on your hands.

Without wanting to look like I'm trolling (no doubt it'll be taken that way), we had a youngster who virtually matches that description except he outscored Wightons record at youth level and infamously had Man United scouts looking at him, yet he completely bombed out after a loan spell because he got completely dominated in the lower leagues and couldnt cope mentally with it all. Think he now works at an ice cream shop and hasn't kicked a football in years.

Your biggest talent is Paul McGinn by a distance.

Without wanting to look like I'm trolling (no doubt it'll be taken that way), we had a youngster who virtually matches that description except he outscored Wightons record at youth level and infamously had Man United scouts looking at him, yet he completely bombed out after a loan spell because he got completely dominated in the lower leagues and couldnt cope mentally with it all. Think he now works at an ice cream shop and hasn't kicked a football in years.

Cool. Do you know where I can get hold of youth team scoring records?

Except wighton is 7 years younger than McGinn and has performed well in his championship and premiership games so far.

At 24 you are no longer a youngster for me and are more a junior 1st team player.You really shouldn't comment when you likely have never seen the player.

On that note at the exact same age as Paul McGinn I'd say Greg Stewart is probably a better prospect. Also worth noting that tam konrad is the same age as both (few months older)

ETA- Dylan carreiro is also worth a mention off the back of a prolific loan spell at Arbroath and being a full international squad member at the age of 19. Unlike a lot of dee fans though I want to see the boy in action before I get too excited!

Edited by Deefiant

Except wighton is 7 years younger than McGinn and has performed well in his championship and premiership games so far.

At 24 you are no longer a youngster for me and are more a junior 1st team player.You really shouldn't comment when you likely have never seen the player.

On that note at the exact same age as Paul McGinn I'd say Greg Stewart is probably a better prospect. Also worth noting that tam konrad is the same age as both (few months older)

Agree.

Also Scott Bain at 23. McGinn has been great in some games and other games he has struggled, his positioning is suspect sometimes. Against Killie at Rugby park Obadeyi had him on toast and on Saturday he struggled. Bain,Stewart and Konrad are way ahead of McGinn in talent.

McGinn seems to be our highest rated player by opposition fans in general, rather than just RandomGuy. Perhaps it's because he's came from a family of very talented players and he's obviously done well to work himself back up to this division and impress?

I certainly agree with Deejango and Deefiant, in that Bain, Stewart, Konrad (Possibly) are more talented.

CW is undoubtedly seen as our player with the most potential though. It's whether or not he can tap into it. Too often at this stage, players don't develop as one would expect.

Just to add I don't think any of the above are saying McGinn is not a good player - he undoubtedly is. We are just blessed with a few good young(ish) players at the moment.

RandomGuys opinion may well be based solely on the 1-1 draw with Saintees @ Dens - McGinn was my MoM that day and was a big factor in O'Halloran not getting on the scorsheet as he has done so often of late.

Who works in an ice cream shop now randomguy?

Stephen Reynolds. He was coming through around the same time as Stevie May but was seen by some as the more likely initial prospect. His goal scoring record was ridiculous at youth level.

He absolutely blew an open goal in one of his only first team appearances in the cup away at Brechin and was basically never seen again, and packed in football shortly after.

Wighton is going to be seen as the biggest prospect at the club coming right through our own youth, he's showed he's got ability, championship and appearances in the Premiership. I'm sure it was against Partick he came of the bench and they couldn't cope with him, one boy took a wild swing at him and he tried to play on after ripping the boy but the ref pulled it back for a free-kick... The point I'm making is he has talent and will go on to being a 1st team regular and Hartley sees that and won't rush his progress and will have him taking a bigger role next season! The loan spell will give him a chance to get confidence high with scoring and playing regularly and to prove himself that he knows where the back of the net is.

Wighton is going to be seen as the biggest prospect at the club coming right through our own youth, he's showed he's got ability, championship and appearances in the Premiership. I'm sure it was against Partick he came of the bench and they couldn't cope with him, one boy took a wild swing at him and he tried to play on after ripping the boy but the ref pulled it back for a free-kick... The point I'm making is he has talent and will go on to being a 1st team regular and Hartley sees that and won't rush his progress and will have him taking a bigger role next season! The loan spell will give him a chance to get confidence high with scoring and playing regularly and to prove himself that he knows where the back of the net is.

He turned that game against Partick Thistle and scored our equaliser - a lovely goal it was too.

There are not many players who can come on at age 16 (I'm sure he was 16 at the time - happy to be corrected) and swing a Scottish Premiership game the way he did.

He has loads to learn and to fulfill role he seems to be destined for (CF/Attacking Midfielder) he needs to do the natural filling out all boys do as they become men. He is quite tall but needs to broaden out a bit (hopefully across the shoulders and chest and not the waistline like oor GGH :P)

A half season down the leagues will do him a world of good, my only disappointment being he could probably get a start at Championship level

He turned that game against Partick Thistle and scored our equaliser - a lovely goal it was too.

There are not many players who can come on at age 16 (I'm sure he was 16 at the time - happy to be corrected) and swing a Scottish Premiership game the way he did.

He has loads to learn and to fulfill role he seems to be destined for (CF/Attacking Midfielder) he needs to do the natural filling out all boys do as they become men. He is quite tall but needs to broaden out a bit (hopefully across the shoulders and chest and not the waistline like oor GGH :P)

A half season down the leagues will do him a world of good, my only disappointment being he could probably get a start at Championship level

Agree with what your saying but I think it's more of the travel side of things!

Can't wait to see how he gets on and progresses, who was the last youth out of dens with as much ability, K. Mcdonald?

Deemons, on 19 Dec 2014 - 10:33, said:

Agree with what your saying but I think it's more of the travel side of things!

Can't wait to see how he gets on and progresses, who was the last youth out of dens with as much ability, K. Mcdonald?

Leighton McIntosh or Bryan Deasley!

Wighton is easily the most talented we've had in some time, but it can easily not pan out for him like it didn't for the two above. Hope he does well.