United (Dundee) vs Thistle (Partick)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of our fans don't seem to understand just how good Doolan is. Actually, a lot of our fans just don't seem to understand football in general.

It's all relative. He's better than the likes of Liam Buchanan but worse than Lyle Taylor or Gerry Britton.

Out of all the promotion winning team who stayed with the club to play in the top flight, Doolan has been by far the best. 11 goals in his first season at the highest level, whilst being rotated with Baird and Taylor for large chunks of that, is an impressive return. He also plays important and intricate parts in many of the rest of our goals, the dummy for Erskine in the 3-1 Hibs game last season, and even the tackle in the lead up to our first goal against Inverness a few weeks ago being good examples. He was on excellent form at the end of last season and played a vital role in keeping us up, and he's on good form now, so it would take a lot to prize him out of the starting 11 IMO.

Utd SXI: Cierzniak, Watson, Morris, Fojut, Dillon, Rankin, Paton, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Erskine and Ciftci.

Utd Subs: Sromnik, Spittal, Connolly, Telfer, Dow, Smith and Townsend

Called it. Good to see Townsend back in the squad, but wonder if he will have to wait until Dillon has a bad game before getting back into the team.

Dundee United got a penalty that, by the sounds of it, was never a penalty. Turns out it isn't Willie Collum in charge today surprisingly although McLean is just as bad. Thank f**k it isn't Tumilty or else it'd be United 15-0 Thistle.

Stonewall penalty. Stonewall.

That said we did not deserve to win; a draw would have been a far fairer result. We were absolutely gash and the penalty winner/scorer was abysmal.

Best player was Paton who was subbed after about an hour for tactical reasons. Dillon,Rado, Rankin and probably Morris were the only others who deserved pass marks.

We really need to improve and we need another striking option.

Dundee United got a penalty that, by the sounds of it, was never a penalty. Turns out it isn't Willie Collum in charge today surprisingly although McLean is just as bad. Thank f**k it isn't Tumilty or else it'd be United 15-0 Thistle.

It was the most stonewall penalty on the planet. The confusion might be because the Partick players thought Ciftci was offside (not sure he was), but the tackle was horrendous and it was a case of taking one for the team in the hope that we missed the penalty.

Not a chance we deserved to win that match! We were terrible in possession and going forward. We were pretty solid at the back (apart from a few Morris related 'moments') but we were awful elsewhere in the team. Ciftci had one of his frustrating games and he should have been hooked but we didn't really have the substitutes to make that happen. Despite all the "we are desperate to right the wrongs of the Killie game" shouts from the players beforehand it was such a lazy, inept performance from the team. Partick should feel really hard done by in not getting something from that.

On another note, I have a feeling that Spittal might be one of JMCs 'faves'. All managers have them and he seems to be Jackie's. Not that I don't like Spittal, I think he has potential, but for McNamara to bring on him and put Dow in midfield but leave two natural central midfielders on the bench was strange. Telfer and Smith would have been the natural options but we played Dow there. Good to see Connolly finally get on, he has been excellent for the development team.

Well, we didn't deserve that at all, but I'll take it. Partick can feel hard done by to not come away with something.

Penalty was a stonewaller though, boy knew exactly what he was doing (and I don't blame him).

MOTM was probably Dillon. Was calm and composed throughout. Fojut and Morris did nothing wrong either.

Very flukey win. As has been said already, Partick were worth a draw today. Ciftci was his frustrating worst today and I don't know if anyone else saw it but I thought he deliberately elbowed Osman in the face after the referee ignored his whining about something Osman had apparently done to him while he was on the ground.

The penalty was a stonewaller. Tbh Seaborne would have probably been better just letting Ciftci take his shot when he went through at the end given how poorly he'd been playing before that.

Spittal really doesn't look ready for regular first team football at the moment but I was excited by the little glimpse we got of Connolly today. He looks like a persistent little bugger in chasing down players when we don't have the ball as well. I felt Dillon had a good game although he's not comfortable going forward often and we're missing that outlet for attack.

Archived