United (Dundee) vs Thistle (Partick)

In all fairness does that show the exact moment the ball is played forward? I was in the upper tier behind the goal, and had the sun in my eyes so I couldn't quite see it but will look forward to watching it on ArabZone to see if it was offside or not.

B0P6LgaIAAEznjT.jpg

Fingers on the buzzers: which player is playing the ball in this picture?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ball's back heeled through Osman's legs. This is clearly going to be an instance of us being accused of seeing what we want to see.

I can't honestly remember whether the ball was back-heeled but we can certainly agree on the second point. That picture is no evidence of the position of Ciftci when the ball was played by a United player towards him - if anything it looks like the ball is being played by the Partick player (which would obviously mean that Ciftci couldn't have been offside) but it's a still photo so could be misleading.

I genuinely can't remember much about the through ball but I thought it was played by someone much further back was it not?

Played up field and back heeled into his path.

Dundee United got a penalty that, by the sounds of it, was never a penalty. Turns out it isn't Willie Collum in charge today surprisingly although McLean is just as bad. Thank f**k it isn't Tumilty or else it'd be United 15-0 Thistle.

I think I can say without fear of bias, that it was about the most stonewall penalty you're ever likely to see!

Right, seen it now on Arabzone and it is very, very tight (and maybe need another angle to see it properly). Ball is launched forward by Dillon, it comes towards Spittal and Osman before bouncing through to Ciftci. Osman definitely touches it by accident and it breaks from him but it is very difficult to see if Spittal actually touches it (IMO). If he doesn't then there is no way it is offside.

No need for black and white aspect. Heads gone! V

I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, on the topic of offsides, how the hell was Erskine flagged offside earlier in the second half when he clearly ran on to the ball from behind a Thistle player?

Right, seen it now on Arabzone and it is very, very tight (and maybe need another angle to see it properly). Ball is launched forward by Dillon, it comes towards Spittal and Osman before bouncing through to Ciftci. Osman definitely touches it by accident and it breaks from him but it is very difficult to see if Spittal actually touches it (IMO). If he doesn't then there is no way it is offside.

I can't pretend that I entirely understand the application of the offside rule these days but as far as I can tell as soon as it hits Osman (if that's what happened) then it's a different phase of play and can't be offside. This is all dancing on a pinhead though. There's a distance to go between the ball being played by Dillon and Ciftci getting hacked down in the box 60 yards later.

Anyway, on the topic of offsides, how the hell was Erskine flagged offside earlier in the second half when he clearly ran on to the ball from behind a Thistle player?

There are dozens of borderline decisions in a game which go the wrong way. Some folk are just desperate to be cheated.

The ref saw a flash of Thistle colours under his embarrassing day-glo number?

Yup. Doesn't look like Spittal even touches the ball. If he does, it's offside, sure.

Anyway....

Another game, another god awful performance, another 3 points. This is all very odd! We've picked up more points after 10 games than any season in a loooong time, but we can be sooooooo much better.

We need to change things up, because this is dire football we're playing just now. I would like to see Townsend, Telfer and Souttar in the team!

Except it apparently hits Osman too in which case it can't be offside. Either way, the claims of 'definite offside' are clearly shite and grasping at straws.

Course he can. Thats an odd interpretation of the offside law you've made.

Anyway....

Another game, another god awful performance, another 3 points. This is all very odd! We've picked up more points after 10 games than any season in a loooong time, but we can be sooooooo much better.

We need to change things up, because this is dire football we're playing just now. I would like to see Townsend, Telfer and Souttar in the team!

Souttar? Based on what exactly?

Archived