United (Dundee) vs Thistle (Partick)

After all of this debate I have decided that I am happy to accept the officials decision on this one :)

Arab FC, why would you change the back four? They have been the most consistent part of our team and have saved us on many occasions so far this year. I agree with Telfer, I would like to see him get a chance and today might have been an opportunity for that as the game wore on and we were making changes.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Souttar? Based on what exactly?

Based on the fact we have few players in the team that can pass the ball ten yards just now. I'm not disputing that, Morris say, has done anything worthy of being dropped, but we are in desperate need of someone who is comfortable on the ball back there.

I'm taking that as an endorsement, tbf.

Well, if you're happy being a dumbass, thats your choice!

After all of this debate I have decided that I am happy to accept the officials decision on this one :)

Arab FC, why would you change the back four? They have been the most consistent part of our team and have saved us on many occasions so far this year. I agree with Telfer, I would like to see him get a chance and today might have been an opportunity for that as the game wore on and we were making changes.

Answered in last post.

Dillon has performed very well defensively too, but I'd drop him in a heartbeat for Townsend.

I do kind of agree about Dillon in a way. Defensively he has been great but going forward you can see he just isn't comfortable on the left hand side, so breaking down that channel we always slow things down as he needs to but in on his left (or in some cases he just doesn't make that run). I actually thought we might see Townsend today when Watson pulled up injured in the first minute or so, surprised he carried on as it looked like he was in a fair amount of pain.

I don't see Fojut and Morris being broken up anytime soon though.

Cheating DAB's still conning referees, same old.......same old.

Exactly mate. I think we're forgetting the fact that Ciftci's compatriots stood on the border overlooking the hell unleashed upon Kobané. I'm glad they are fighting back against the IS.

#DABs

Havent read the rest of the thread yet, but will.

Penalty was an absolute stone, brick, concrete, ceramic wall of a penalty. The boy made a decision and brought Ciftic down.

We were shite though for most of the game. As were Thistle who let down their reputation as a passing side. There was little football on show from either side today.

0-0 would have been a fair result but football doesnt work out like that.

No, you didn't deserve to win, nor to draw. You did deserve to get away with a narrow defeat because both teams were poor but United created the better chances and the goal was coming even before the penalty incident. You were lucky not to receive a second red when GMS was chopped down 60 seconds later, McLean obviously feeling a bit uncomfortable about sending two players off in the space of two minutes.

Was McMillan the one who committed four bad challenges in the first 15 minutes?

So much wrong with this post. It's hard to know where to start.

Exactly mate. I think we're forgetting the fact that Ciftci's compatriots stood on the border overlooking the hell unleashed upon Kobané. I'm glad they are fighting back against the IS.

#DABs

Not sure if serious! :unsure:

Based on the fact we have few players in the team that can pass the ball ten yards just now. I'm not disputing that, Morris say, has done anything worthy of being dropped, but we are in desperate need of someone who is comfortable on the ball back there.

So the first priority of a defenderis to pass the ball? I would have thought it was to defend, something Souttar needs to learn a huge amount about.

So the first priority of a defenderis to pass the ball? I would have thought it was to defend, something Souttar needs to learn a huge amount about.

Clearly not. But it would be nice for a defender at this level to do a bit of both. Souttar will learn through playing, and I personally think he's worth the risk, and that he'll be a much better player playing alongside Fojut.

I can understand why some would like to continue to play with two solid brutes at the back, but it's also making the football pretty brutal to watch!

Souttar wasn't the reason we were losing games last year - he made mistakes, and big calamitous ones at that, but he also was a regular when we were playing our very best football, and is a very good player in the making.

Clearly not. But it would be nice for a defender at this level to do a bit of both. Souttar will learn through playing, and I personally think he's worth the risk, and that he'll be a much better player playing alongside Fojut.

I can understand why some would like to continue to play with two solid brutes at the back, but it's also making the football pretty brutal to watch!

That's very magnanimous of you. I wonder how many goals he would need to be responsible for before you carried out another risk assessment.

We've conceeded 12 league goals in 10 league games, six of these in a shocking performance against Celtic. Whilst I'd like to see better distribution from the back I'll take a more solid central defensive pairing than we've had for a long time ahead of that.

The two central defenders cannot really be blamed for the football we are playing, the midfield five and the striker are the ones that take much of the responsibility in that aspect of our game. Our fullbacks have not been as effective going forward this season but that was always going to be the case after losing a player like Robertson.

I can't pretend that I entirely understand the application of the offside rule these days but as far as I can tell as soon as it hits Osman (if that's what happened) then it's a different phase of play and can't be offside.

Indeed.

The two central defenders cannot really be blamed for the football we are playing, the midfield five and the striker are the ones that take much of the responsibility in that aspect of our game. Our fullbacks have not been as effective going forward this season but that was always going to be the case after losing a player like Robertson.

Aye, we've lost a massive part of our game from last season with Robertson leaving. Partick were stuffy and closed our attacking players down very well. If Robertson were still at the club he'd have offered an alternative point of attack down the left flank and would have opened the whole game up. Robertson was a rare creature though - now we have to make do with mere defenders at full back. Such is life.

Archived