United (Dundee) vs Thistle (Partick)

Indeed.

Aye, after spending two seasons waiting for the forward to touch the ball before giving offside you would have expected the linesman today to flag for offside on a pass which apparently touched two further players before it reached Ciftci.

Out of interest, was it the pass from Dillon or the deflection from Spittal (prior to the deflection from Osman) which was offside? Or is it just no' fair?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, after spending two seasons waiting for the forward to touch the ball before giving offside you would have expected the linesman today to flag for offside on a pass which apparently touched two further players before it reached Ciftci.

Out of interest, was it the pass from Dillon or the deflection from Spittal (prior to the deflection from Osman) which was offside? Or is it just no' fair?

That's quite the breakdown you're having simply for being wrong.

as far as I can tell as soon as it hits Osman (if that's what happened) then it's a different phase of play and can't be offside.

I neither know nor care whether Ciftci was offside, but you've just invented this 'phase of play' take by yourself and it is incorrect. If a player plays a pass to a teammate who is in an offside position, then the linesman should flag for offside regardless of whether the ball rebounds to him off an opponent on its way. Those are the rules, and you'd probably look a good bit less simple if you made an attempt at understanding them.

I neither know nor care whether Ciftci was offside, but you've just invented this 'phase of play' take by yourself and it is incorrect.

I've invented the concept of phase of play or I'm misinterpreting the concept? I don't particularly care whether he was offside or not either my initial comment was about the ludicrous suggestion that it wasn't a penalty, the rest is strictly obiter.

The two central defenders cannot really be blamed for the football we are playing, the midfield five and the striker are the ones that take much of the responsibility in that aspect of our game. Our fullbacks have not been as effective going forward this season but that was always going to be the case after losing a player like Robertson.

Of course not, but they are part of the problem. I did say I would make 3 changes - Telfer into the middle of the park, as Paton and Rankin clearly need lessons on how to show for the ball and pass it on, Townsend as an outlet on the left that Dillon doesn't provide, and Souttar at the back to have an option other than simply lumping it up the park!

The number of times we have the ball in the middle of the park, or even further forward then slowly pass the ball back to defenders who don't want it, who then pass it back to Rado to punt it makes me weep!

If one of Rado's strengths was his kicking we could... errr, noooooo

Sure we don't have the same cavalier back 4 that we have seen in previous seasons but they look solid . Not been able to say that for years. Souter is in no way ready to come back in to that line up.

The frustration is in knowing we have the players and they system to move the ball around much more fluidly than we did today. Thistle look much more up for it and had greater appetite for closing the ball down than we did . Our mid field had a bit of a meh attitude today which was really frustrating. And the man creating most frustration was ciftic. Really got on my tits throughout the match. Poor decision making and inability to read the game. Sooner bilate can come back and challenge unimportant the better.

If you just watch the change in trajectory of the ball it looks very likely that Spittal got the touch, in which case Ciftci is clearly offside unless there's another Thistle player off-camera on the near side. If I were a Thistle fan I'd be as annoyed with your two defenders for fannying around with their arm in the air - Seaborne in particular lost another yard or so that he then couldn't make up, leading him needing to chop down Nadir.

The impact of losing Robertson aside, am I allowed to call for a Plan B and C again so that we can mix things up when we're not playing well / teams have us figured out?

Sure we don't have the same cavalier back 4 that we have seen in previous seasons but they look solid . Not been able to say that for years. Souter is in no way ready to come back in to that line up.

The frustration is in knowing we have the players and they system to move the ball around much more fluidly than we did today. Thistle look much more up for it and had greater appetite for closing the ball down than we did . Our mid field had a bit of a meh attitude today which was really frustrating. And the man creating most frustration was ciftic. Really got on my tits throughout the match. Poor decision making and inability to read the game. Sooner bilate can come back and challenge unimportant the better.

The front 4 has the capability to play more fluid football, as you put it, the rest, really don't!

Whatever anyone thinks about Paton and Rankin, pass and move football is really really not their strength, Dillon is scared crossing the halfway line, Watson not much better and the centre halfs look petrified whenever the ball is played near them. As for Rado - Neuer he is not!

Archived