The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

10 hours ago, Scott Steiner said:

Black ice everywhere here today.

Where are you? 

Stormy as f**k in the silver city this evening. Buzzing for my cycle to work tonight (oan the night shift).

I actually came on to the thread to share the BBC article on Haddo House. Absolutely grim that. The North East forests have been pretty well decimated by that last storm.

Edited by velo army

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

Where are you? 

Stormy as f**k in the silver city this evening. Buzzing for my cycle to work tonight (oan the night shift).

I actually came on to the thread to share the BBC article on Haddo House. Absolutely grim that. The North East forests have been pretty well decimated by that last storm.

I'm in Highland Perthshire mate.  Been lots of trees blown over and the likes.

Fair play to you for cycling to work tonight!  I've done that in the past.  Cycling there wasn't so bad, but never seemed to have the same motivation for the return journey :)

Googled Haddo house - sad to hear of the damage there :(

8 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Huge tornado spreads across middle usa usa usa with probably close to 100 dead. Get your thoughts and prayers over there please.

The thing that always amazes me about tornadoes is how focused the damage is. Looking at the videos of the destruction, houses are completely destroyed yet 20 yards away other houses look untouched.

Edited by Soapy FFC

18 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

The thing that always amazes me about tornadoes is how focused the damage is. Looking at the videos of the destruction, houses are completely destroyed yet 20 yards away other houses look untouched.

Have you seen what a tornado looks like?

Just now, Rugster said:

Have you seen what a tornado looks like?

I do, and I'm well aware of how it works. But to me is still doesn't take away from the fact you can be next door to a destroyed house and be perfectly OK. It's just frightening how selective it can be.

I have cousins that live in Kansas, just a couple of miles from a disaster a few years ago when a tornado went though a trailer park. One of their biggest fears is hearing the tornado sirens go off. They head into their basement, but I'm not sure that would help them if they suffered a direct hit.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:
22 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:
Huge tornado spreads across middle usa usa usa with probably close to 100 dead. Get your thoughts and prayers over there please.

Has anyone tried shooting it?

You're just not giving the thoughts and prayers a chance are you?

14 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I do, and I'm well aware of how it works. But to me is still doesn't take away from the fact you can be next door to a destroyed house and be perfectly OK. It's just frightening how selective it can be.

I have cousins that live in Kansas, just a couple of miles from a disaster a few years ago when a tornado went though a trailer park. One of their biggest fears is hearing the tornado sirens go off. They head into their basement, but I'm not sure that would help them if they suffered a direct hit.

A selective tornado, they're the worst kind.

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 12/12/2021 at 07:27, BillyAnchor said:

Has anyone tried shooting it?

Yes.

It's surely safer in any case, with shit flying around from elsewhere that might smash through their windows etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Very heavy winds here today, 80-100mph, and a power line down sent fire spreading in Boulder Colorado a city about 60 miles north of me. 10,000 evacuated, news showing hellish fires and an estate with 375 homes was apparently burned down in a matter of minutes.

21 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Very heavy winds here today, 80-100mph, and a power line down sent fire spreading in Boulder Colorado a city about 60 miles north of me. 10,000 evacuated, news showing hellish fires and an estate with 375 homes was apparently burned down in a matter of minutes.

Sounds terrifying, hope you're far away enough to be safe from the fires at least.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/colorado-wildfire-boulder-superior-louisville-b1984686.html

PS. https://bouldercounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=13ab214fe2bb4da5a850df0ca0f00fc5

Edited by welshbairn

We have friends who have been on evacuation standby for the last 5 hours or. The footage looks horrific although the wind has died down a little and snow is forecast in the next few hours. 

A friend took this from his bedroom window at about 8pm. 

image.png.72410188093658b035e986ef3246ee74.png

• 4 weeks later...