Raith v Rangers

I thought Faure had a good game,

The lad Murdoch has always looked decent when i have seen him.

You know i have been shouting for Faure to get a run.

The pair of you will know better than me....but my take is that Faure has a wee bit of talent, is strong and seems to want to get stuck in. How come we've not seen so much of him?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel we're, collectively, over-reacting to last night's result a little bit. It wasn't a great performance, by any means, but when you contrast it with some of our earlier performances, it was far from abhorrent.

As much as the current headlines are all "OMG Rainjurz are pure pish!" - there's a very key way to beating them. It's a lot like the Simpsons episode where Homer takes up boxing.

giphy.gif

You let them have the ball, let them punch themselves out and then you pick them off when you can. Obviously it's belittling the lad from yesterday, but Murdoch's goal was very much a sucker-punch (if you'll allow me to stretch the metaphor). While every goal is preventable, you can't really legislate for a 25 yard scorcher like that.

Look at their last two games. Against us in the Cup, they had 62% possession. Only Hibs at Easter Road have kept us off the ball more. We scored a freekick to open the scoring, and poked home a stramash for the winner. We managed the game brilliantly, but if Conroy's freekick had cannoned off the bar (unlikely, I know) or Darren McGregor had just sat on his arse instead of trying to shuffle the ball along his own goal-line, it's a different story. Then, they played Hibs at Ibrox. They were scudded 2-0... conceding goals to the only two shots Hibs managed on target all night. Rangers had 21 shots that night, with nine on target.

I'm not saying that Rangers are brilliant. Far from it. What I'm saying is, if the laddie Murdoch steps up and slaps a worldie into the postage stamp against us in the Cup, or against Hibs, the gameplan collapses. Before that, last night, had Davie McGurn had a save to make? Boyd had looped a header onto the top of the bar, but other than that? If we'd gone in at half-time at 0-0, which was quite conceivable, we'd have been very well set up to have a go at them in the second half, with an increasingly edgy away support on their backs rather than Stan Collymore's.

It doesn't matter the manager, the players or the strategy employed. Due to simple economic realities, Raith Rovers aren't going to go out and dominate a game against Rangers. They're going to have more of the ball, and if we're going to get a result, we need to take our chances and they need to be profligate. That goes for 95% of the teams in this country. It didn't happen for us last night, but let's not forget that this same "useless" Rangers team had knocked us for 4 and for 6 previously this season.

If the team can keep the result in perspective, we should still be able to carry a lot of confidence into the game at Almondvale next week.

Although it was a great strike from the lad, in order to prevent that though...you get stuck in, we were second to the ball up until he got the ball. Not tight enough to him resulted in him smacking it in the top peg.

Roll on next week.

The 'Murray factor' that has seen us lose one game this year and knock a team with a significantly higher budget out of the Scottish Cup away from home? No wait that's the 'Malpas Factor' isn't it? This is what Murray is up against. If you are managing the team on a good run then you get very little credit.

I'm completely on board with the rest of your post, but that part just isn't true is it? There were dozens of Rovers fans eating their words, myself included, over the last couple of months. Murray quite rightly was receiving plenty credit. The Malpas stuff was a little tongue in cheek at the start but I don't think I'd seen it mentioned since perhaps the Dumbarton win. I'd actually forgotten we had him.

I remember coming away from the 0-0 draw with Falkirk in September feeling annoyed as I felt we'd played for the draw, which Murray backed up after the game saying "it was more important not to concede than to score". I came away on Friday feeling we'd settled for a 1-2 defeat. Murray's post-match comments didn't exactly dissuade me from that feeling either. Budgets or no budgets that's going to get criticised, and rightly so too. RATM is probably spot on that there's been a little over-reaction overall but that's where it stems from - no team in any sport should just accept a defeat. 2-1 on Friday was the same as 3-1 or 4-1, really, but the manager seemed happy to accept it.

Robinson is miles better that Simonsen.

Really? Rovers fans as a whole will be a bit biased but he made two huge errors on Friday which should've cost goals - coming for a cross he was nowhere near allowing Nade to beat him to it, and the sclaffed kick to Anderson thirty five yards out. Sadly both players' finishes were poor.

Still one of the strangest signings I've ever seen in football.

Murdoch's goal was fantastic but he was under no pressure whatsoever and, whilst his execution was first class, would it have been the same if he'd at least been closed down slightly? We were so slow at closing down long shots all night I'm surprised only one of them went in.

Yes Rangers are a better team but we'd been warned several times before Murdoch shot and we didn't learn. It reminded me of Hearts game at Tynecastle for Ozturks goal. Was so obvious he was going to shoot first time he got the ball (after his goal v Hibs the previous week) and we just stood off and allowed it to happen.

I'd also add that if Robinson wasn't miles off his line as usual he'd have probably saved Conroy's deflected strike.

Yes and If he had been on his line he wouldn't have intercepted a couple of dangerous through balls

The guy was on the edge of his 6 yd box for the goal hardly no mans land and the shot took a deflection it happens to the best off keepers

Have a look at the goal De gea conceded today didn't even loop over him after a deflection and he still managed to miss it

is he poor also

On the positive side his distribution was excellent, then again why mention positives when we can slate players???????

Yes and I've heed been on his line had wouldn't have intercepted a couple ofdangerous through balls

The guy was on the edge of his 6 yes box hardly no mans land and the shot took a selection

Have a look at the goal De gea conceded today didn't even loop over him after a deflection and he still managed to miss it

is he poor also

De Gea never conceded a single goal today..

I'd also add that if Robinson wasn't miles off his line as usual he'd have probably saved Conroy's deflected strike.

The guy was on the edge of his 6 yd box not out the ordinary

Have a look at the deflected shot David de gae conceded this weekend , should have saved that ????

It happens to the best of keepers

Some people would say that since rovers sold the tickets its their problem, thankfully I'm more enlightened and think that if anyone's prepared to sing banned songs then they deserve to be punished by the police and courts.

I would go further and suggest the club should be punished and punished severely.

• Points deductions
  • Games behind closed doors
  • Signing embargoes
  • and ultimately ejections from cup competitions

This will not bother the idiots who want to sing these songs, it will bother the real fans who do not want to see the club getting hammered and in turn should encourage self policing to start within the fanbase. Would I feel safe telling someone to stop singing sectarian nonsense? no I would shite it, would I feel safe whistling down idiots as part of a large group of fans who want this nonsense eradicated? absolutely.

The authorities need to make it clear what is allowed and what is not, a list of phrases and songs which are easily identifiable and leave no ambiguity on the matter.

Failing this then the legislation that was put in place should just be ripped up, it plainly is not fit for purpose.

Dare I say that this is happening by stealth.

I'd go after the idiots first and make it plain what the consequences of singing those outdated sings would be ...

Criminal records, hefty fines, possible jail time, risk to employment and their lives effed up because they want to sing about a razor gang. They are breaking the law after all and besies I wouldn't trust the sfa\spfl not to EFF it up.

Things had been improving tho, OK you'd still hear the odd few lines at away games but they tended to die out when they got to the offensive bits. A short term away ban would maybe show the cretins what's what.

The issue shouldn't be what the SPFL are doing about it, it should be what the Police are doing. How many officers did Raith Rovers have to have at the game, and pay for? At least 1500 people clearly violated the law inside the stadium. How many were arrested?

Having said that, it's ridiculous the SPFL don't have the same rules are UEFA on this, and we won't get anywhere until we do.

I would go further and suggest the club should be punished and punished severely.

• Points deductions
  • Games behind closed doors
  • Signing embargoes
  • and ultimately ejections from cup competitions

This will not bother the idiots who want to sing these songs, it will bother the real fans who do not want to see the club getting hammered and in turn should encourage self policing to start within the fanbase. Would I feel safe telling someone to stop singing sectarian nonsense? no I would shite it, would I feel safe whistling down idiots as part of a large group of fans who want this nonsense eradicated? absolutely.

The authorities need to make it clear what is allowed and what is not, a list of phrases and songs which are easily identifiable and leave no ambiguity on the matter.

Failing this then the legislation that was put in place should just be ripped up, it plainly is not fit for purpose.

What a way to refer to your "magnificent" fans.

What a way to refer to your "magnificent" fans.

What a sad little man you are.

Tedi you can stand behind me and shout the bigots down......i ll stand behind Matt and Big John lol.

After reading what the Cockwomble said......

Should somebody not point out it not his job to guide them with what to say to ensure they get off, rather his job to see if guilty they are fairly dealt with.

His press release could be re - typed by someone as stupid as Traynor, if he was still there, and it would get them off...

Archived