First World Problems

Truly the most First World of First World lawsuits,

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41669611

Sunwing flyer sues because he got sparkling wine not champagne

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Champagne or sparkling wine?

A Canadian man has filed a lawsuit against Sunwing Airlines for promising a champagne service and instead serving sparkling wine.

Daniel Macduff booked a holiday to Cuba through Sunwing that advertised a complimentary on-board champagne toast.

Mr Macduff, from Quebec, said he received a cheaper bubbly instead - and only on the outgoing flight.

The airline said it believes the lawsuit "to be frivolous and without merit".

Mr Macduff's lawyer says the class action hinges on misleading marketing and not the quality of the wine served.

"It's not about the pettiness of champagne versus sparkling wine," said Montreal-based lawyer Sébastien Paquette.

"It's the consumer message behind it."

Mr Paquette said references to real champagne - a sparkling wine variety made specifically in the Champagne region in France - was front and centre in Sunwing's marketing materials.

In an emailed statement, Sunwing said the terms "champagne vacations" and "champagne service" were used "to denote a level of service in reference to the entire hospitality package" and not to describe the in-flight beverages.

Image copyright Mark King/Sunwing Airlines

The airline says it still offers sparkling wine to all its passengers on flights to southern vacation destinations, but are no longer referencing "champagne service" in active marketing campaigns.

Online information now clarifies that passengers receive sparkling wine.

The class action has yet to be certified by the courts, but seeks compensation for the monetary difference between the actual wine served and a glass of champagne as well as punitive damages.

Mr Paquette said about 1,600 other plaintiffs have come forward in Quebec to join the lawsuit.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I was too hungover to really drink properly so a couple bottles of Miller, a glass of prosecco and a couple of glasses fancy baileys type stuff (coole swan) sufficed. Today I’m willing for a proper bevy but still having to make do with bottles of Miller.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

Yesterday I was too hungover to really drink properly so a couple bottles of Miller, a glass of prosecco and a couple of glasses fancy baileys type stuff (coole swan) sufficed. Today I’m willing for a proper bevy but still having to make do with bottles of Miller.

No one should have to settle for drinking Miller.

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Thanks lads. I think I’ve just about got there. It’s been a battle but we’re nearly finished - I wouldn’t say there was any winners.

Have a rusty nail to finish off the night while the relatives either fuckoff or go to bed, solid advice.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I once had a lovely big coconut outside the Bull Temple in Bangalore.  The coconut water was tremendous but one didnt quench my thirst that day. I was seething at having to pay another 10 rupees (approx 8p)  for another one at the time. 

It doesn't surprise me one iota that you like coconuts. 

36 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I once had a lovely big coconut outside the Bull Temple in Bangalore.  The coconut water was tremendous but one didnt quench my thirst that day. I was seething at having to pay another 10 rupees (approx 8p)  for another one at the time. 

Preferred the coconut palm toddy myself.

Getting paid stupid money to sit and watch people work whilst browsing the net and/or watching football on your phone  and silently telling yourself how hard your life is.

Actually feel better for having just written this out.