How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

Into Baggage return at 10.10 yesterday to complete chaos.  Only 1 belt working and already three flights of luggae were being put on the belt.  Still to come was JFK and Calgary flights.  Arseholes allowing their kids to mingle at the side of the belt when people are trying to remove cases. I told one dumb mother her kid was going to get hurt and the look of defiance was unbelievable.

Eventually got cases after 45 minute wait at which point they opened the second belt had had several flights waiting on it as well.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Best hire car option at EDI for a couple of days?

I tend to use Avis. Always found them to be good.

Arrived from Crete at 1.30am Tuesday morning. It was all quite efficient including luggage.  From plane, passport control and then getting luggage about 30/40 minutes or so total, most of that time disembarking and the long walk to passport control.  Have had a lot worse at Edinburgh. 

Posted this in the QQ thread but will try here.

I need to drop the bairn at EDI tomorrow morning but will need to take her into terminal to get her bag dropped etc (30 mins max).  Where is best to park for this? I know theres a 30 mins in the long stay but thats fucking miles away with no bus.

The long stay isn't actually that far walking - 5-10mins at the absolute most as you can cut right through the mid and short stay bits and come out just where the trams are, I'd say that was the best bet although I do recall there used to be a 1hour option near the drop off that was reasonable, but they've no doubt done away with that now.

How busy does Edinburgh airport get first thing on a Monday morning? My flight to Doha is at 8am and I'm wondering whether I need to be there the standard 3 hrs before, or whether 2 hrs would be fine?

49 minutes ago, Swarley said:

How busy does Edinburgh airport get first thing on a Monday morning? My flight to Doha is at 8am and I'm wondering whether I need to be there the standard 3 hrs before, or whether 2 hrs would be fine?

I haven't flown long haul for years but I don't get why they recommend 3 hours, how is it different from short haul other than the cost of the flight? 2 hours should be more than enough, paying £7 for booking fast track online could be worth it for peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Whenever I fly on a Monday morning I pay the £6-£7 for the fast-track through security, it's well worth it.

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 10/07/2024 at 12:00, MP_MFC said:

The long stay isn't actually that far walking - 5-10mins at the absolute most as you can cut right through the mid and short stay bits and come out just where the trams are, I'd say that was the best bet although I do recall there used to be a 1hour option near the drop off that was reasonable, but they've no doubt done away with that now.

I noticed yesterday when I dropped off my hire car that you could probably pull into the Hire Car area, quickly drop off your passenger then do a u turn to get out. Its only a short walk from there to the terminal.

If this leads to mass delays at the Hire Car section then I deny responsibility...

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I haven't flown long haul for years but I don't get why they recommend 3 hours, how is it different from short haul other than the cost of the flight? 2 hours should be more than enough, paying £7 for booking fast track online could be worth it for peace of mind.

I think its to give the baggage handlers longer to look through your bags for decent loot.

Here now.  The worldwide IT outage meant that there was a queue about 4 deep from the aiport parking bus stances to the escalator that takes you upstairs to security etc.

Luckily I was able to skip the queue and got though the assistance gate but those not so lucky had to wait ages.  Some have missed their flights and the woman at security said she doubts all international flights will take off or be delayed.  Just as I am typing this it says Boston flight is delayed 80 mins.  Milan flight is not departing from the gate it originally showed.

We are meant to fly in 30 mins and board still not saying where we are flying from.  Earlier it said gate 21.  We are at gate 21 and has Paris flight showing.

The woman at the check in desk just came off the phone asking about our flight and even she does not know yet.  No doubt it will be delayed now.

It is what it is, just have to suck it up and hope it is not cancelled.

So if you are flying today, check your flight if you can but arrive earlier than usual in case of queues/delays

Edited by Sugar_Army

23 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Here now.  The worldwide IT outage meant that there was a queue about 4 deep from the aiport parking bus stances to the escalator that takes you upstairs to security etc.

Luckily I was able to skip the queue and got though the assistance gate but those not so lucky had to wait ages.  Some have missed their flights and the woman at security said she doubts all international flights will take off or be delayed.  Just as I am typing this it says Boston flight is delayed 80 mins.  Milan flight is not departing from the gate it originally showed.

We are meant to fly in 30 mins and board still not saying where we are flying from.  Earlier it said gate 21.  We are at gate 21 and has Paris flight showing.

The woman at the check in desk just came off the phone asking about our flight and even she does not know yet.  No doubt it will be delayed now.

It is what it is, just have to suck it up and hope it is not cancelled.

So if you are flying today, check your flight if you can but arrive earlier than usual in case of queues/delays

Did you ever get where you were going?

On 12/07/2024 at 13:57, welshbairn said:

Because you clearly have money to afford a long-haul, and will spend more of it in the airport if you're hanging about for all that extra time.

Probably.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Did you ever get where you were going?

Yeah.  Only a 40 minute delay, might have beem less but we were waiting on some passengers from Isreal, but they ended taking off without them.

My boss was in Tunisia and was delayed a couple of hours and a colleague was in Cape Verde and was delayed 4hrs.

I am in Belfast for a long weekend.  It rained all day today so a bit more limited in what we did but it has been good.  Tonight I was in a bar and the band opened up with Petty Vacant, the we were treated to their versions on Ramones, SLF, The Clash, Undertones and The Jam (early stuff), all unexpected but took me back to my Doc Martin and Monkey Boots days 😉

• 1 month later...

Just looking at booking parking at Edinburgh for the middle of next month for a week. We last parked there just over a year ago for 8 days paid £100 for the multistory (it would have been cheaper if I hadn't procrastinated and booked it earlier). This year the multistory is £150 for the same duration. So looked at the long stay, which we've used before, but now you have to walk from it as there's no bus now, so no good with cases and an 8 month old. The 'budget' long stay is now a 10 minute bus ride away at the end of the runway.

The best option seems to be the fast park where you leave your car and keys at the front of the terminal and they park it for you. What's people's experience of that as I'm normally not keen on leaving my keys and letting others park my car.

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Just looking at booking parking at Edinburgh for the middle of next month for a week. We last parked there just over a year ago for 8 days paid £100 for the multistory (it would have been cheaper if I hadn't procrastinated and booked it earlier). This year the multistory is £150 for the same duration. So looked at the long stay, which we've used before, but now you have to walk from it as there's no bus now, so no good with cases and an 8 month old. The 'budget' long stay is now a 10 minute bus ride away at the end of the runway.

The best option seems to be the fast park where you leave your car and keys at the front of the terminal and they park it for you. What's people's experience of that as I'm normally not keen on leaving my keys and letting others park my car.

Used it a week ago and everything went smoothly. No dents, scrapes etc. Just keep your ticket you get when you book it in and it's just a case of scanning it to get your key on the return. Also found it to be a fair bit cheaper than the long stay etc. But we booked a good bit in advance. 

Edited by grumswall

20 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Used it last year and it was great. Parked close to the terminal, took the key off me then I think I scanned something when I got back to get the key out of a wee locker. Car was close to the terminal again. It was the cheapest option (apart from some that didn't look reliable).

Assume you have already used this but this is a handy guide: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-airport-parking/

I always use Money Saving Expert when looking for parking and do all the screenscrapers as it is amazing some of the price differences between them.  Take 10 mins to use it, can save a small fortune. 

If booking, consider the cancelling option.  Ryair cancelled my Christmas flight this August so I was able to cancel my parking.

Maybe the airport express buses such as Ember or Explore are also worth it.  I had a stroke on Hogmany so now have a blue badge and NEC+1 card.  Will get a lift/park my car/take a taxi and think it will cost me and her £1 each way.  My original airport parking for Xmas was about £100 and that was me booking in July, but luckily I was able to cancel.

Also, if you leave your car at the house you do not have to worry about it being pronged in an airport car park.  Touch wood, but that has never happened.

We we go away in Europe with budget airlines we don't book seats together.  It gives you a couple of hours of peace and quiet or sometimes you can switch or swap seats once the fight takes off.

Another tip is not to accept the offer to book your luggage at the beginning when you are selecting your flight with budget airlines.  Sometimes it offers you again before you have to pay and it is usually cheaper.  If not, you can always go back to the start and book process again.

With budgets you often get "There are 2/4 seats left at this price".  They are designed to rush you into panic buying.  Prices do not jump that much usually, so think about it, then book if sure.

We sometimes book seats if it is long haul or book window and aisle seats and hope nobody sits in between.  Normally the will swap with one of you if they do. 

Sometimes if we do not book seats we just ask if it is possible  to sit together when checking in luggage at airport.  If you are polite, early, and they can, they do it for free. 

We sometimes take a chance on swapping when on the plane as booking a seat was so expensive. Usually you can find a single busissman willing to do, especially  if one of your seats is better. I was on a few long haul flights where I had a row of five seats and  just jumped to it just before take off.  When the flight took off and there was a rush for empty rows, I just stretched out, pretended I was sleeping for about 5 mins and got the row to myself for the next 7 hours.

Money Saving Expert does an essentials guide about holidays, parking as mentioned and stuff like hotels and currency.  Worth a look if planning on going away.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/

On 22/08/2024 at 21:07, Soapy FFC said:

I used that last month, was only a couple of quid more than the NCP but no need to muck about with shuttle buses, just walk straight into the terminal.

No complaints at all. Took a photo of the mileage before I left the car in case someone decided to take it for a spin, but there was only a mile or so extra when I picked it up.