St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Sons fans would welcome him back with open arms. We need someone like him, scores free kicks, excellent strikes, penalties, can thread a pass through a needle, no lack of confidence at sons, and no lack of ability either, maybe he's just not as happy as he was with us.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N When a player takes half a dozen touches in midfield to set himself for a 5 yard sideways pass, I'd call it a lack of ability thing rather than an ingrained to the club thing though. Can't defend, can't attack. Can hit a good dig but doesn't have the will to, or even to get in the position to.

Genuinely one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen in the stripes. Andy Dow levels of bad.

Weird that, certainly never required 5 touches with us, often played a killer pass with ease and loved a dig from long range.

That would suggest that your claim that it's lack of ability is inaccurate. Perhaps it's a coaching thing? The system St Mirren deploy? The relentless pressure on the players through the constant booing or other negative shouts? Who knows.

Whilst he's no world beater he is a good enough midfielder at this level as proved by his time with us. I was quite surprised he got a full-time deal but like I said he's proven himself at this level in a team who'd be expected to create less than the likes of St Mirren.

It maybe wouldn't be a bad thing for him to head elsewhere to get his confidence back. I'm not sure if I'd take him back tbh, we could be doing with a player who has the attributes Aggy does but i'm not sure we'd be wise wasting a big chunk of the budget on him.

Ryan Stevenson has left thistle.

Has always came across as a bit of a walloper over the years, granted I haven't seen him play in a year or so but id take him for us, even just till the end of the season.

Would be pissing money down the drain. He has already played for 2 clubs this season so won't be able to play for anyone until August.

Always thought Barr was a decent defender but way too injury prone.

Weird that, certainly never required 5 touches with us, often played a killer pass with ease and loved a dig from long range.

That would suggest that your claim that it's lack of ability is inaccurate. Perhaps it's a coaching thing? The system St Mirren deploy? The relentless pressure on the players through the constant booing or other negative shouts? Who knows.

Whilst he's no world beater he is a good enough midfielder at this level as proved by his time with us. I was quite surprised he got a full-time deal but like I said he's proven himself at this level in a team who'd be expected to create less than the likes of St Mirren.

It maybe wouldn't be a bad thing for him to head elsewhere to get his confidence back. I'm not sure if I'd take him back tbh, we could be doing with a player who has the attributes Aggy does but i'm not sure we'd be wise wasting a big chunk of the budget on him.

I don't think Murray sticking him out on the left helped him either. Murray said when he signed he can blow hot and cold, he scored a couple of belters at the start of the season and a few of us wondered how the heck has this guy not been playing at a higher level, sadly now we can see why.

We didn't really have any strategy under Murray, normally we'd go ahead early in a game and sit back and clingon to the lead, which would turn into a draw or defeat, at home anyway. Don't think that was playing to Agnew's strengths, or Steven Mallan's.

I don't think Murray sticking him out on the left helped him either. Murray said when he signed he can blow hot and cold, he scored a couple of belters at the start of the season and a few of us wondered how the heck has this guy not been playing at a higher level, sadly now we can see why.

We didn't really have any strategy under Murray, normally we'd go ahead early in a game and sit back and clingon to the lead, which would turn into a draw or defeat, at home anyway. Don't think that was playing to Agnew's strengths, or Steven Mallan's.

Ian Murray never fails to baffle me. If there's one guy who should know to never deploy Aggy wide left it's him.

He's strictly a CAM or at a push he can sit deep and spray passes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a QOS or a Morton when his deal ends at St Mirren.

Sons fans would welcome him back with open arms. We need someone like him, scores free kicks, excellent strikes, penalties, can thread a pass through a needle, no lack of confidence at sons, and no lack of ability either, maybe he's just not as happy as he was with us.

to be honest, I wouldn't have him back....he scored a few beauties early on in his Dumbarton career, but they dried up quite quickly. Incredibly one footed player, and you could tell when the opposition had done their homework on us / him - push him onto his right foot, and he offered nothing

I was surprised when he went to St Mirren

:lol:

Tragic attempt

Attempt at what?

He hasn't been able to make the step up, simple as that.

It's the same situation with Ian Murray, he was decent for Dumbarton but the St.mirren job was too big for him.

to be honest, I wouldn't have him back....he scored a few beauties early on in his Dumbarton career, but they dried up quite quickly. Incredibly one footed player, and you could tell when the opposition had done their homework on us / him - push him onto his right foot, and he offered nothing

I was surprised when he went to St Mirren

I actually thought last season was his best for us. Aye he wasn't as prominent attacking wise, but he really added a defensive element to his game. He was my POTY last season for his sheer consistency and the fact he held together a very wobbly, mismatched midfield being forced to play horrendous formations that didn't suit them.

Agnew is pish, decent player for a wee team like Dumbarton but that's as far as it goes.

True dat

Attempt at what?

It's the same situation with Ian Murray, he was decent for Dumbarton but the St.mirren job was too big for him.

What would you say is a step up exactly? Last season he played for a club who finished 7th in the Scottish Championship. This season he's playing for a club who are sitting...yup...7th place in the Championship, and look as if they will stay about there.

Somewhere in Summer 2014 Murray thought; "You know this wonderful, free scoring football, let's scrap it and play formations that don't work". Last season, as any Sons fan will tell you, was torrid watching and very few of us are surprised that he failed at Saints. Perhaps it's something about full-time training that he couldn't cope with, but it's more likely the loss of his very capable assistant.

Attempt at what?

:lol: I hope for your sake you're trolling

What step up? The only difference is he trains extra days a week and gets paid more. The level is the same, the points are the same and record this season is Dumbarton 2 - 0 St Mirren. We both compete in the same division and are both competing at the same end of the table.

Bigger club you may be but a step up? :lol:

I see. Why are they so eager to sell?

They originally bought the club because the previous owners were ready for selling it to a total shyster ( there's a good documentary on YouTube explaining it ). The club was in financial difficulty so the current board got together and risked a lot of their money on saving the club.

Skip forward about 20 years or so and we're now debt free playing in a newish stadium and have a training complex. They feel as if they have done their bit and want to pass the torch on to someone else.

Sadly we've been for sale for about 6/7 years now and a lot of fans blame the uncertainty for our recent downfall.

Archived