St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as they are competent (and I'm not saying these guys aren't, I'm just making a general point), I am delighted to see key roles at our club being filled by proper St Mirren folk.

We are stagnant at most levels within the club. Jury is still out on Alex Rae, but I've been encouraged by the signings of Quinn and Clarkson so far.

However, bringing in new guys who also love the club is a good move, and having someone with the sheer enthusiasm for St Mirren that Tony Fitz has, will hopefully rub off somehow. I'm sort of picturing a similar effect to the signing of Thommo. Before his legs went, he did great things for us.

They originally bought the club because the previous owners were ready for selling it to a total shyster ( there's a good documentary on YouTube explaining it ). The club was in financial difficulty so the current board got together and risked a lot of their money on saving the club.

Skip forward about 20 years or so and we're now debt free playing in a newish stadium and have a training complex. They feel as if they have done their bit and want to pass the torch on to someone else.

Sadly we've been for sale for about 6/7 years now and a lot of fans blame the uncertainty for our recent downfall.

Stuart Gilmour was given the shares ( not bought ) to keep the club safe. However board members have dipped into their pockets to run the club.

He seems pretty highly rated, and was on the fringes of the (admittedly terrible) first team last season. Hasn't quite broken through as maybe expected this season, but playing in this Saints side could shatter his confidence anyway.

I'd imagine it's one of those loans that we're hoping will develop him as a player so we can get him back as a decent squad member, as opposed to one of those loans where we just need him to f**k off before his contract has ended (he's with us til summer 2018, btw).

Goes without saying, but I hope he does well for you.

Good signing!

Once again I don't think we'd be able to do much better than that!

---------------------------------Langfield-----------------------------------

------Irvine-----------Watson--------------Webster------Kelly-----------

---------------------------------Goodwin------------------------------------

------------------Quinn----------Mallan--------------Cooper-------------

--------------------Clarkson--------------Shankland-----------------------

Don't know much about Cooper but that looks like a decent team on paper, although I said that about our original 11 at the end of the August transfer window!

Lewis McLear any good? Signed on loan for the binos

Aye I like him, thought he should have been given more of a chance this season given his form for the 20's. Seems to score every week at that level.

He got more game time last season in the top flight and had a couple of starts under Teale. Had some decent moments but didn't seem physically up to it. Looks like he's filled out a bit and it'll certainly be interesting to see how he does with Stirling Albion.

In Quinn, Clarkson and Irvine we have added 3 players with plenty of top flight experience. Hopefully they add something, we have 4 big games coming up (Alloa, QOTSx2 Dumbarton) that are going to define our season one way or another.

Don't know a lot about Cooper but can't really ask for much more on terms of quality than Quinn, Clarkson and Irvine in the market we're operating in.

Cammy Smith on loan on deadline day and I'd say it's been decent business for Rae.

Goodwin and Naismith coming back soon will also provide another boost.

Alex Cooper signed for you after we let him go. Good luck to him but he isn't very good. Can take a free kick but thats about it.

Harsh - Cooper is a decent and capable player.

I'm in the camp that thinks there must've been a falling out between him and Houston over something.

He'll want to prove a point when we play, could very well turn it on against us.

I'm in the camp that thinks there must've been a falling out between him and Houston over something.

He'll want to prove a point when we play, could very well turn it on against us.

Agree with you there...I'm prepared to spray coopers mcraes battalion top black & white to get my money back £125 anyone?

hopefully does a "Jack Ross" next time we play.

Archived