St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see from the Sun via the BBC gossip column that there is a link with Mark Fotheringham. He seems to be without a club since being a starter for Fulham at the beginning of last season ( :lol:) in the Championship before being found out.

His last spell in Scotland was at Ross County in 2012-13. He signed out of the blue at the end of September, making his debut in St Mirren's 5-4 win (I wasn't at the game but remember Thompson's acrobatic winner). His run of starts in the team coincided with County's worst spell of form that season. Derek Adams stubbornly froze out Paul Lawson during that time when Fotheringham took his role as the deep playmaker, but the latter performed it worse.

Fotheringham completed his passes fairly well and did have an eye for a good pass. I can't criticise his technique. However, he would take so many touches and take so long to release the ball that the defence was always set and knew what was coming. Lawson was recalled, again out of the blue, took his chance and Fotheringham wasn't seen again for five months, until late-season injuries decimated the midfield.

Based on three years ago he is a better player than Carswell now, but he's not the type of player that Agnew needs beside him.

I see from the Sun via the BBC gossip column that there is a link with Mark Fotheringham. He seems to be without a club since being a starter for Fulham at the beginning of last season ( :lol:) in the Championship before being found out.

His last spell in Scotland was at Ross County in 2012-13. He signed out of the blue at the end of September, making his debut in St Mirren's 5-4 win (I wasn't at the game but remember Thompson's acrobatic winner). His run of starts in the team coincided with County's worst spell of form that season. Derek Adams stubbornly froze out Paul Lawson during that time when Fotheringham took his role as the deep playmaker, but the latter performed it worse.

Fotheringham completed his passes fairly well and did have an eye for a good pass. I can't criticise his technique. However, he would take so many touches and take so long to release the ball that the defence was always set and knew what was coming. Lawson was recalled, again out of the blue, took his chance and Fotheringham wasn't seen again for five months, until late-season injuries decimated the midfield.

Based on three years ago he is a better player than Carswell now, but he's not the type of player that Agnew needs beside him.

Fotheringham must have got rid of his previous agent if he's had to resort to coming on trial with us. I'm sure between playing for you and ending up at Fulham he somehow managed to get a trial with someone in the Bundesliga, possibly Hoffenheim.

As for needing loads of touches, it sounds like he'd get on superbly alongside Agnew.

Mark Fotheringham is one of they names that always got linked with big moves but I don't remember him being anything special. Midfield is a weak point in the team , I'd like to see a left sided winger or give Lewis Morgan a run in the team. Hanging Scott Agnew out there to dry isn't the answer.

Iv heard Ridgers is leaving and we'll be signing a keeper on loan from another club in this division.

Mark Fotheringham is one of they names that always got linked with big moves but I don't remember him being anything special. Midfield is a weak point in the team , I'd like to see a left sided winger or give Lewis Morgan a run in the team. Hanging Scott Agnew out there to dry isn't the answer.

Iv heard Ridgers is leaving and we'll be signing a keeper on loan from another club in this division.

Liam Kelly from Rangers

Not fussed on Ridgers leaving, average keeper. Langfield is a better option.

As mentioned above I would like to see Morgan get a run on the left of the midfield he is a much better option out there than Agnew, who is deserving of a spell on the bench. If Mehmet were to come back then he would be a tremendous signing at this level. I suspect he may go elsewhere for now though.

• 2 weeks later...

STV reporting that you've signed Rocco Quinn.

Good signing that - if he's leaving Ross County, I thought he'd end up at another premiership club.

What kind of midfielder is he? Seem to remember him being an attacking one which isn't exactly what we need, although his strike rate is crap if he's someone who is meant to get forward.

We haven't had in for quite a few years now so he's maybe changed his style of play, but he's a box to box midfielder I'd say. Was never great at winning the ball or tackling generally, but could always rely on him to pick a decent pass and retain possession of the ball. I always regarded him as being quite a classy player who could pull a moment of magic out of no where - his goal at Love Street in our Scottish Cup replay a few years back probably the best example of that - and he always seemed to find time on the ball as well.

For the kind of football that Rae wants to play, he's a good fit IMO.

Archived