St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

I'd say me personally and probably most folk aren't angry at his appointment but the way we've went about it. 'Experienced manager' and apparently no interviews or shortlist and people were saying he was definitely manager early in the week. It's like we've not given other people a chance to even apply. If Alloa can be inundated with applications then I think surely we would be?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say me personally and probably most folk aren't angry at his appointment but the way we've went about it. 'Experienced manager' and apparently no interviews or shortlist and people were saying he was definitely manager early in the week. It's like we've not given other people a chance to even apply. If Alloa can be inundated with applications then I think surely we would be?

I believe we did get applications? Seen some Greek guy and that Nuttall fella who was coaching in Kenya both said they had applied.

There wasn't an outstanding candidate really, the most popular choice seemed to be Jimmy Calderwood FFS. Would guess that after reading through the applicants the BOD decided Rae was the only one worth interviewing, therefore he had the job before the interview.

His remit for the rest of the season is simply to keep us up, if he does that he will have succeeded.

How many St Mirren fans sat through the summer thinking "let's hope we stay up" though, despite probably still taking in the disappointment of relegation?

To be fair to Rae though, none of that's his fault.

I genuinely think he'll do a good job. The hiring process though...not good. Rae seemed to have the job before he was even interviewed. I wonder who Div's mole at the club is because it makes the St. Mirren board look pretty stupid.

It's incredibly naieve to think that Alex Rae trapped up this morning, met the board for the first time, had a chat and a cup of tea and an hour and a half later signed an 18 month deal to become the manager of the club.

The selling consortium (the board) stand to lose pretty much everything if we are relegated again. This is not a short term panic off the cuff appointment despite what you read in the media.

Look at the clues.

Chick Young first mentioned Alex Rae's name as a front runner for the job last SUNDAY, just 24 hours after Murray walked out.

Jimmy Calderwood said in midweek that he had applied but as far as he was aware the job was going to Alex Rae.

The bookies cut the odds on Rae being appointed to 1/5 by Thursday morning.

The nonsense about how he hadn't been approached and first met the board this morning is just that, nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if he had already been sounded out even before Murray walked and they have just waited a few days to formally announce it to make it look like they've gone through due process.

Rae is also taking charge of the team tomorrow. That doesn't strike me as being the actions of a man who only found out he was getting the job at lunchtime today.

Div, on 18 Dec 2015 - 16:33, said:

It's incredibly naieve to think that Alex Rae trapped up this morning, met the board for the first time, had a chat and a cup of tea and an hour and a half later signed an 18 month deal to become the manager of the club.

The selling consortium (the board) stand to lose pretty much everything if we are relegated again. This is not a short term panic off the cuff appointment despite what you read in the media.

Look at the clues.

Chick Young first mentioned Alex Rae's name as a front runner for the job last SUNDAY, just 24 hours after Murray walked out.

Jimmy Calderwood said in midweek that he had applied but as far as he was aware the job was going to Alex Rae.

The bookies cut the odds on Rae being appointed to 1/5 by Thursday morning.

The nonsense about how he hadn't been approached and first met the board this morning is just that, nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if he had already been sounded out even before Murray walked and they have just waited a few days to formally announce it to make it look like they've gone through due process.

Rae is also taking charge of the team tomorrow. That doesn't strike me as being the actions of a man who only found out he was getting the job at lunchtime today.

I feel like the next Serial podcast will be based on his appointment.

Rae did pretty well with Dundee. He came in when we were in the same sort of position St Mirren are now. He steadied things in his first season, finishing third, then made a serious challenge in his second season. We'd have gone up if it hadn't been for Accies' outstanding side of 2007/8. The writing was on the wall after that, because he was never going to be able to replace the players he lost on freedom of contract with equivalent talent. If we'd gone up that season his whole career would have been very different.

There were stories about him handling players badly, but in at least one case, Paul Dixon simply wasn't doing his job on the pitch, however talented. He deserved to be dropped for Eddie Malone, a less gifted but more effective player. Dixon's subsequent career has confirmed the doubts raised that season; great going forward, but suspect and lacking concentration in defence (as exposed by Greg Stewart in the Tannadice derby in August :)).

On the flip side, Alex Rae is the only manager who managed to get Gavin Swankie to play well at that level. Before and after Rae's spell at Dens he'd looked a gutless waster at Div1/Championship level. For Rae's two seasons at Dens he was perhaps the best wide player in the division. Somehow Rae managed to get inside his head and make him the player he could have been.

Rae didn't help himself by playing. He was too committed and too easily wound up. His battles with Dougie Imrie were great box office, but didn't really help his image as a manager. That won't be a problem this time round.

I hope he does well, and I think there's a good chance he'll succeed. Certainly, if he fails it won't be because of a lack of commitment.

Dundee made a "serious challenge" largely because you were back spunking money on players that you couldn't actually afford, again. He was still schooled by a Hamilton side on a comfortable fraction of Dundee's wage budget, and has been completely out of the picture for years. We should also of course note the stellar managerial careers enjoyed by other pet favourites of Dundee fans - and poor Ludo in particular - such as serial failure Barry Smith.

vikingTON, on 18 Dec 2015 - 17:22, said:vikingTON, on 18 Dec 2015 - 17:22, said:

Dundee made a "serious challenge" largely because you were back spunking money on players that you couldn't actually afford, again. He was still schooled by a Hamilton side on a comfortable fraction of Dundee's wage budget, and has been completely out of the picture for years. We should also of course note the stellar managerial career enjoyed by other pet favourites of Dundee fans - and poor Ludo in particular - such as serial failure Barry Smith.

Ermm...what?

Do some research before havering shite.

Rae's budget wasn't 'enhanced' in any way and he was at the club at a point when we were recovering from our first mess and was long gone from the club before Melville was even near the club. We were being run essentially by Dave Mackinnon at the time, who was a loudmouth but probably ran Dundee the most prudently it has ever been run.

As for your pop about Smith and other managers that haven't had the best track record after ourselves - That's just a bit desperate tbh. I'm glad for you though that 'Mr Relegation' Jim Duffy is proving to be your mob's most successful manager in years considering he's a 'pet favourite' too.

Dundee made a "serious challenge" largely because you were back spunking money on players that you couldn't actually afford, again. He was still schooled by a Hamilton side on a comfortable fraction of Dundee's wage budget, and has been completely out of the picture for years. We should also of course note the stellar managerial careers enjoyed by other pet favourites of Dundee fans - and poor Ludo in particular - such as serial failure Barry Smith.

You're getting mixed up about our problems (as I see Ludo has pointed out). Anyway, Hamilton were hardly the paragons of financial virtue the press have sometimes made them out to be. They cut a deal with HMRC that they wouldn't have to repay any of their debt, or pay interest, till they were in a position to sell one of their young players for a big fee. I can't remember the exact amount they owed, but it was about double what we owed HMRC when we went into admin two years later. We had nothing to complain about, but Accies were lucky they were able to sell McCarthy and McArthur before HMRC's policy changed.

Not an ideal appointment but fully behind the guy. It's not his fault the board seem to continually put their collective foot in their collective mouth by promising things they can't, or have no intention of seeing through. Firstly the Teale debacle last year when they stated a wheeler dealer type was needed. And then this.

Regardless now of whether we rise or fall, we have to see this through. Stability is badly needed.

You're getting mixed up about our problems (as I see Ludo has pointed out). Anyway, Hamilton were hardly the paragons of financial virtue the press have sometimes made them out to be. They cut a deal with HMRC that they wouldn't have to repay any of their debt, or pay interest, till they were in a position to sell one of their young players for a big fee. I can't remember the exact amount they owed, but it was about double what we owed HMRC when we went into admin two years later. We had nothing to complain about, but Accies were lucky they were able to sell McCarthy and McArthur before HMRC's policy changed.

Hamilton's debt had very little to do with their first team budget and stemmed from the funding of their youth setup. Which is partly why Hamilton got some good players from it - Livingston's was similarly doped up. You can argue the rights and wrongs of that if you want, but the fact remains that they completely schooled Rae's Dundee side on a fraction of the budget.

Ermm...what?

Do some research before havering shite.

Rae's budget wasn't 'enhanced' in any way and he was at the club at a point when we were recovering from our first mess and was long gone from the club before Melville was even near the club. We were being run essentially by Dave Mackinnon at the time, who was a loudmouth but probably ran Dundee the most prudently it has ever been run.

As for your pop about Smith and other managers that haven't had the best track record after ourselves - That's just a bit desperate tbh. I'm glad for you though that 'Mr Relegation' Jim Duffy is proving to be your mob's most successful manager in years considering he's a 'pet favourite' too.

Nice try, but Calum Melville's spell did not generate Dundee's debt from a clean slate - rather, Dundee were already overspending, and Melville helped them to glut out even further when they were already stretched to the limit. By spunking money at a league that you couldn't win. Your prototype "a big man did it all and ran away" revisionism here, ala Rangers and Craig Whyte, is fooling absolutely no-one, Mostly because, well, this forum was actually around back then and everyone on it spent 2008-10 laughing at overspending Dundee's serial failures.

The point about Smith is important because it shows that Dundee fans like to tout their former managers as having done a good job, based largely on this ludicrous account, in which their club were always somehow plucky underdogs. Rather than the serially underacheiving, overspending omnishambles that you actually were in this league. And so when your former managers have to run a club that can't spunk money it doesn't have to acheive even a medicore league performance, they fail at the task.

vikingTON, on 18 Dec 2015 - 17:53, said:

Hamilton's debt had very little to do with their first team budget and stemmed from the funding of their youth setup. Which is partly why Hamilton got some good players from it - Livingston's was similarly doped up. You can argue the rights and wrongs of that if you want, but the fact remains that they completely schooled Rae's Dundee side on a fraction of the budget.

Nice try, but Calum Melville's spell did not generate Dundee's debt from a clean slate - rather, Dundee were already overspending, and Melville helped them to glut out even further when they were already stretched to the limit. By spunking money at a league that you couldn't win. Your prototype "a big man did it all and ran away" revisionism here, ala Rangers and Craig Whyte, is fooling absolutely no-one, Mostly because, well, this forum was actually around back then and everyone on it spent 2008-10 laughing at overspending Dundee's serial failures.

The point about Smith is important because it shows that Dundee fans like to tout their former managers as having done a good job, based largely on this ludicrous account, in which their club were always somehow plucky underdogs. Rather than the serially underacheiving, overspending omnishambles that you actually were in this league. And so when your former managers have to run a club that can't spunk money it doesn't have to acheive even a medicore league performance, they fail at the task.

You don't half talk some shite.

To be honest, this just shows me how desperate you are to 'get at' St Mirren fans - spouting complete nonsense that's not even worth the time of properly replying, because it genuinely is just uneducated mewling. Good luck with it.

Archived