St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly wonder in the future if anyone will even bother applying for our job, apparently we hadn't made a shortlist or held any interviews with anyone yet people knew at the start of the week Rae was getting it and hey look end of the week and that's him got it, I would imagine with him being the only person interviewed... Have we even waited to see who applies for it or what?

Most Morton fans had severe reservations about Jim Duffy but he has turned that perception completely around with his record so far. You just never know how it will pan out so fans should give the man a chance. As for interviews etc., I have no doubt the St Mirren directors knew who was out there and did their homework on him based on the need to steady the ship. They probably reckoned that this was not a job for a rookie manager (as Teale and Murray proved albeit Murray would be a rookie in terms of running a full time club).

Much as the Morton fan in me would love to see St Mirren in a league below us for a change, wearing another hat, we have only just got our derby match back and losing it again would be a financial pain.

I think Rae will steady the ship and keep St Mirren up, probably to mid-table. But that depends on the dressing room as there are some strong characters in there.

If it goes the wrong way he could be divisive and it will all go tits up. Bit of a gamble appointment that's for sure.

I don't think it's as bad an appointment as is being made out but if the St Mirren fans are reacting the way we did when Bomber was appointed then it'll be doomed from the start.

I don't think the St Mirren board have done their homework at all here to be honest. Douglas McNeil - who's usually pretty spot on when it comes to St Mirren - said this morning that the board hadn't started the interview process and that they didn't have a shortlist for the job. Fast forward a few hours and they've given the job to Alex Rae?

I know St Mirren are not in an ideal position, but they've got some good players (I'll stop short of saying it's a good squad as it probably is a bit unbalanced) and aren't exactly cut off at the bottom. I think most of their fans are prepared to write off this season if the club stays up comfortably as well. Could they not have taken a bit longer to interview a couple of others rather than backing the first person they've spoken to? They've got (or had) an experienced interim manager in place too.

I can't make up my mind if this is panic button smashing or laziness to be honest. It could work out for the best, but I think this amounts to little more than a punt.

I hope Rae does not read the thread on B&WArmy about his appointment. Everyone (or most) now saying they will support him as he is now the one in charge but vast majority of opinion is it was not what is required ie another gamble and we should have gone with someone experienced to steady the ship.

And many are pissed off that at the AGM earlier in the week we had the charade of 'waiting for applications' and 'someone experienced' when Rae was already the Chosen One.

I don't think it's as bad an appointment as is being made out but if the St Mirren fans are reacting the way we did when Bomber was appointed then it'll be doomed from the start.

We're not reacting as badly because at least on the face of it, it's not quite as bad an appointment as Bomber was.

Once again though, the board and SG on particular completely fly in the face of everything they've gone on public record with. Utterly baffling.

There's not a lot of goodwill around for Rae so he doesn't really have much wiggle room to get the fans onside. I suppose a few disciplined performances would go a ways to alleviate that though.

I'm not holding my breath on this one to be honest. The club is an utter shambles just and has been for a couple of years now.

I genuinely think he'll do a good job. The hiring process though...not good. Rae seemed to have the job before he was even interviewed. I wonder who Div's mole at the club is because it makes the St. Mirren board look pretty stupid.

Certainly wouldn't have been my choice of manager, but wish him all the best and will get right behind him regardless.

It seems like a lot of the people who are criticising his appointment are the same ones who were praising Ian Murrays appointment. Let's hope they're as right about this appointment as they were about that one.

The truth is there's no real way of telling if any managerial appointment is going to work or not. There's only one way to find out, and that's to wait and see. His remit for the rest of the season is simply to keep us up, if he does that he will have succeeded.

It's hard to imagine us getting any worse than we were under Murray, he was without doubt the worst Saints manager I've ever seen. If Rae can improve us even slightly that should be enough to keep us up.

I don't know much about him but on the surface he seems like a bit of a straight talking hard man character, which isn't a bad thing and may be just what this squad needs. He certainly has plenty of experience playing and coaching down south so that can't be a bad thing.

He says he's going to be in the dugout tomorrow, so his first two games will be Alloa away and Livi at home. The only two teams who have been worse than us this season, couldn't have asked for an easier start on paper.

Archived