St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Irvine was absolutely outstanding for Dundee last season. He even went on a bit of a scoring spree! I don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip this season in all honesty. Good signing.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irvine was absolutely outstanding for Dundee last season. He even went on a bit of a scoring spree! I don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip this season in all honesty. Good signing.

Aye I remember him scoring against us in Paisley last season I think.

Great signing in Gary Irvine!! Always impressed me when he's played against us, hard working and versatile player. As for Cooper, I know nothing about. I read he likes to play on the wing and get crosses into the box, which we have been lacking. Hope it works out well.

Overall very good business in the window from Alex Rae, a confidence boosting win tomorrow could kick us on and hopefully we will start to resemble a football team.

I think Irvine will be a decent, if unspectacular signing. Sure, he'll try hard but with the ball he's pretty fucking useless. Especially if you're playing Clarkson up top.

Whatever happened to Naismith (?) the young right back?

He done his anterior cruciate ligament in the first or second home game of the season. He's back on weights and full running now apparently. If we see him before the end of the season it'll be a bonus but apparently he is wanting to be back by end of February which is ambitious in my book.

I think Irvine will be a good signing. Seems you are almost all delighted with it as well.

I would however be very interested to read the assessments of St Mirren fans on Gary irvines ability at the start of last season....

Has he ever lost his man at a corner?

What a player John McGinn is.

Well done in getting to the final good times for the Hibs support.

When McGinn is good he is very good was sorry to see him leave Saints though I understand as things at the time of him leaving were dire at our club. Hibs are a far bigger club also and on the up.

What a player John McGinn is.

McGinn was outstanding for us as well. I was surprised that he did not go down down for a huge fee but that will surely happen. We miss him greatly but things were shit with us last season and although he had been at St Mirren since he was a kid he was quite right to leave.

EDIT to ADD: If things had been different we should have been building a team around McLean and McGinn. But with shit managers and a BoD who want to sell the Club that was never going to happen. Hopefully we will be sold soon and can start to re-build. This uncertainty is killing us.

The jury's still very much out on Rae tactically, but he's had an excellent transfer window here. With the big gap to Alloa, Livingston being appalling, it looking like you've improved on the start of the season even if you're still not particularly good and better players to come in, you can feel a lot more comfortable about avoiding the bottom two.

I would not agree about Rae's tactics. I think he has been very astute tactically since he took over. He quickly realised the midfield was garbage and has dropped three out of four with Mallan being the only decent one until Goodwin returns. He realised with the players we had we had to play with five across the middle as we only had one striker worthy of the name in Shankland. Now we have Clarkson he changed it yesterday to two up top and we were miles more threatening than we had ever been under Murray. He also realised the defence was too young and Irvine should help remedy that situation.

The four players he has brought in are all better than what we had and with Goodwin and Naismith returning soon things will surely improve. Do not expect much this season obviously but Rae has made a big difference with a crap squad. A clearout in the summer and a fresh season with his own team will see just how decent a manager he may be but so far so good.

Paul McMulllan's loan has ended and he's off back to Celtic.

No great shock we've cut it short. Very much a confidence player and never looked the same after being injured against Falkirk. Hopefully that will free up a wage to perhaps get one more in tomorrow but won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

No great shock we've cut it short. Very much a confidence player and never looked the same after being injured against Falkirk. Hopefully that will free up a wage to perhaps get one more in tomorrow but won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I'm not saying that game defined our season, but who know what would have happened if we'd won that game - which you'd imagine we would have if the Bairn had rightly been shown the red card for that tackle.

He wasn't, and Saints contrived to throw away a 2-0 HT lead and lose to a late goal.

A big thing I think for us this season is that we've been playing with zero confidence; and a win that day might have helped. The hammering losing from such a dominant position certainly hindered.

Archived