St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

No great shock we've cut it short. Very much a confidence player and never looked the same after being injured against Falkirk. Hopefully that will free up a wage to perhaps get one more in tomorrow but won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I was thinking that Rae knew this was happening so helped us bring Irvine and Cooper. Still best window in awhile for us

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that game defined our season, but who know what would have happened if we'd won that game - which you'd imagine we would have if the Bairn had rightly been shown the red card for that tackle.

He wasn't, and Saints contrived to throw away a 2-0 HT lead and lose to a late goal.

A big thing I think for us this season is that we've been playing with zero confidence; and a win that day might have helped. The hammering losing from such a dominant position certainly hindered.

People can have all the talent in the world but without belief they may as well not have that talent. Many years ago Alex Beckett described himself as a 'below average' footballer but he held down a first team spot throughout his career as he had believed in the abilities he had. I realise everyone's confidence can be shaky at times but if you constantly hide then there is a insurmountable problem.

Mallan has taken criticism this season but he still goes out with belief. He still tries the World Cup pass and long range shots whereas his team mates take the scared route of passing sideways and backwards. Mallan will make it whereas those that hide will not. We simply do not have enough winners in the team at the moment. Goodwin's injury did not help and no-one would describe him as being similar to Messi but his attitude makes him the best player we have.

Mallan has played there as well. If we are playing a diamond then the rightsided player is not strictly a winger - more an old fashioned inside right. I suppose it may depend of Rae's tactics.

And I think Morgan is at least as effective as McMullan and should be given a chance. At least he will be with us next season whereas McMullan will be away in 12 weeks or so.

Hoping we can bring in a right sided midfielder today, after McMullan leaving. We only have Gallagher or Morgan to play there now, and neither are strictly a right winger.

Wee Eck must has something up his sleeve, he has let McLear go out on loan too. Unless we are planning on going with a narrow midfield as we have about 7 central midfielders.

I'm not saying that game defined our season, but who know what would have happened if we'd won that game - which you'd imagine we would have if the Bairn had rightly been shown the red card for that tackle.

He wasn't, and Saints contrived to throw away a 2-0 HT lead and lose to a late goal.

A big thing I think for us this season is that we've been playing with zero confidence; and a win that day might have helped. The hammering losing from such a dominant position certainly hindered.

Do agree with that. We had just beaten QOTS 2-0 in Dumfries the week before and we were 2-0 up against Falkirk at half time and deserved to be. Everyone was happy and there seemed to be an expectation that we would not only win the game, but go on a run afterwards.

Then we lost 3-2 and Ian Murray never recovered.

As for the final day, we've had a great window even if we don't get anyone in. Can Irvine not play right mid? Wikipedia lists right wing as one of his preferred positions and that's never wrong.

Would guess we won't sign anyone else and Irvine will become first choice right sided midfielder. With Goodwin and Jason hopefully returning within the next month we have enough cover at the back.

As for the final day, we've had a great window even if we don't get anyone in. Can Irvine not play right mid? Wikipedia lists right wing as one of his preferred positions and that's never wrong.

Would guess we won't sign anyone else and Irvine will become first choice right sided midfielder. With Goodwin and Jason hopefully returning within the next month we have enough cover at the back.

He came on at right mid ahead of Watson at the weekend. Although it was mainly a shut up shop and get the points move from Rae.

Noticed this rocket on Twitter:

Holy Sea@DM8883 4h4 hours ago

Always on the cards,EBT Rae,would cut short Paul McMullan's loan at St.Mirren.

Aye, EBT Rae whose four signings so far include two former Celtic youth players and a guy whose uncle played for Celtic.

Rae's been making McMullan play shite all season.

Annan supporter here,we have just signed Lewis Guy what do you reckon?

Bearing in mind we're talking 2nd Division fitba here!

Cheers guys (no pun intended)!!!!

I've seen worse players play for St. Mirren. He started quite well and then fell away. Hasn't really settled at many clubs if memory serves. He can't be that old, but had been at a few clubs before us, and has been at a few since.

I quite liked him actually. He scored around 5 goals in half a season for us in the top flight and looked pretty sharp and headed for double figures. Then his form nosedived, culminating in him being subbed on and then subbed off again after telling TC to f**k off, don't think he played for us again after that.

Seems to have been on a slide since then. Went to Carlisle then released, and has been around the English non league since then without any success.

I would say if he's fit and motivated he will do a job in league 2.

I quite liked him actually. He scored around 5 goals in half a season for us in the top flight and looked pretty sharp and headed for double figures. Then his form nosedived, culminating in him being subbed on and then subbed off again after telling TC to f**k off, don't think he played for us again after that.

It was the last game of the season, so he definitely didn't.

I always thought he was decent. Has a bit of hussle, some pace and can make the ball stick. Got into good positions but unfortunately tended to be poor at finishing. Seemed to have confidence issues. Think he should do well in your league

Archived